The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:13 AM
Registered

I think it would shake things up a bit if she dressed differently every night like she use to and break away from the "brand"
Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Style MTV, July 18, 2012
http://style.mtv.com/2012/07/18/best...entino-fallon/

Last night, almost the entire Style team watched as Best Coast's Bethany Cosentino covered Fleetwood Mac's "Storms" at New York City's Terminal 5. She was wearing an understated all black outfit--a black tank and jeans and a pair of black clog sandals--and commanded in a way that we're sure would have made her predecessor Stevie Nicks very proud had she been there to witness it. Just hours before, Bethany and the rest of her band performed the same song on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, their second time on the show (the first was performing "Boyfriend" off of their debut record, Crazy For You). For the performance, Bethany looked equal parts bewitching and contemporary, dripping in Pamela Love's architectural, amulet-like pyramid rings, a bracelet and an breastplate necklace that almost doubles as a collar for her midi-length Rachel Comey Dress. The dress, which is a fluid black halter with buttons from the waist down (very Elaine Benes from Seinfeld, only sexier and more modern, we must say), isn't quite as flamboyant as a classic Stevie Nicks look, but we love how Bethany stays true to her own unique take on the California Valley witch vibe that Stevie is the godmother of. Finished off with a pair of Marc Jacobs split wedges and flowing tresses, Bethany's super simple, timeless look was nearly as breathtaking as her tender cover of the heartbreaking Fleetwood Mac ballad she sang.

The cover of "Storms," which was originally released on Fleetwood Mac's 1979 album Tusk, was made available as a limited edition 7" with purchase of Best Coast's The Only Place when it was released back in May. The tune allows Bethany to show off her impressive vocal chops in a way we haven't really seen before, and shows just how far she's come as both a singer and a performer since her debut performance on the show in 2009. We can't wait to hear more from Best Coast, and to see what sartorial steps Bethany takes in the future, whether it be another capsule collection or more seriously covetable on-stage looks.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Storms

Here is a link for the "Storms" performance by Best Coast on Fallon's show.
http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/b...n_jimmy_fallon
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://ismayozga.blogspot.com/2012/0...ies-style.html
[several pictures of Stevie and kimonos inspired by Stevie on the site]

MONDAY, 17 SEPTEMBER 2012

Stevie's Style

recently i've had a strange desire to float around in some kind of draped kimono/cape, totally normal way to feel, right? i think it may be thanks to the fleetwood mac documentary i watched, seeing stevie sway about in all her silky glory. has there ever been more of a babe than a young stevie nicks? i doubt it.

I think i need number one [reference to a design pictured] so i can fulfil my need to dress like some kind of dream hippie.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Click for pictures of Stevie, through the years:
http://miista.com/style-heroine-stevie-nicks/

By Laura Villasenin
Wednesday 6 February 2013, Miista

MIISTA - CATEGORY: what we like

In a uniform of billowing chiffon, layers of lace, delicate shawls and a blanket of long blonde hair, Stevie Nicks will forever be The Reigning Queen of Rock n Roll.

The legendary singer songwriter has been on the music scene since she graduated high school and hasn’t stopped to take a breath since. She catapulted to international fame after joining Fleetwood Mac in 1974 and has been the driving force behind over forty top 50 hits, album sales of over 140 million and a combined 13 Grammy nominations between her work with Fleetwood and her solo career. When Fleetwood Mac released their second album Rumours after adding Stevie and her longtime love Lindsey Buckingham to the line up they found themselves suddenly at a level of success previously unimaginable. The album was the best selling album of all time at the date of release in 1977 and now has only moved seven places down despite a 35 year time lapse. Four Top 10 singles resulted and Stevie’s Dreams became their first and only US #1 hit. Clearly the synergistic energy of the newly formed group was the stuff of legends, and Stevie’s songwriting prowess took them all to the top. She had been writing long before joining Fleetwood — Rhiannon and Landslide were completed before she even had one of her specially decorated mics in her hand. Having joined the band with her lover Lindsey, their chemistry helped to further their fame but also caused tension within the group. Ultimately she had to leave seven years later to go solo, but in the time spent all together it is said that their live performances were filled with theatrical and interpersonal intensity sometimes bordering on exorcism like ferociousness that lulled audiences into a heavy trance.

Once she went solo in 1981 with Bella Donna she was cemented as the strongest female in the game. The album went platinum within three weeks of its release and is now certified as quadruple platinum — incredible. She was an unforgettable force; everything about her was distinctive. Especially that voice. That husky, emotional, gorgeous voice — that she credits in part to seeing Grace Jones and Janis Joplin play live — will easily give goosebumps to anyone in ear shot. Known also for her unique style, she was always wandering around like a mystical gypsy — long hair blowing in the breeze, chiffon dragging on the ground behind her, that signature black half moon tambourine gently shaking in her hand. She stuck with the same style over the span of her career — it’s said that she’s worn a variation of the same suede platform boots during every performance since 1975, even if they weren’t in style at the time. Her look was so evocative that a slew of witchcraft (not joking) rumors began to spread and she was forced to dial it down a bit as to not scare people away. Despite addictions to cocaine and tranqs she’s still alive and kicking today, making her one of the few female acts of her time to witness induction to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, to watch album sales soar above 100 million, to see college kids forty years her junior decorate their dorm rooms with posters of her and all her friends. Rolling Stone crowned her with the title of Reigning Queen and it seems she’ll be holding on to it for quite some while.

For anyone in NYC who’s equally as obsessed with Miss Nicks as we, there is an event that we all have no choice but to attend. The Night of 1,000 Stevies is May 3rd at the Highline Ballroom in NYC — be there or be square!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stevie-nicks-4.jpg (96.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Click for pictures of Stevie, through the years:
http://miista.com/style-heroine-stevie-nicks/

By Laura Villasenin
Wednesday 6 February 2013, Miista

MIISTA - CATEGORY: what we like

In a uniform of billowing chiffon, layers of lace, delicate shawls and a blanket of long blonde hair, Stevie Nicks will forever be The Reigning Queen of Rock n Roll.

The legendary singer songwriter has been on the music scene since she graduated high school and hasn’t stopped to take a breath since. She catapulted to international fame after joining Fleetwood Mac in 1974 and has been the driving force behind over forty top 50 hits, album sales of over 140 million and a combined 13 Grammy nominations between her work with Fleetwood and her solo career. When Fleetwood Mac released their second album Rumours after adding Stevie and her longtime love Lindsey Buckingham to the line up they found themselves suddenly at a level of success previously unimaginable. The album was the best selling album of all time at the date of release in 1977 and now has only moved seven places down despite a 35 year time lapse. Four Top 10 singles resulted and Stevie’s Dreams became their first and only US #1 hit. Clearly the synergistic energy of the newly formed group was the stuff of legends, and Stevie’s songwriting prowess took them all to the top. She had been writing long before joining Fleetwood — Rhiannon and Landslide were completed before she even had one of her specially decorated mics in her hand. Having joined the band with her lover Lindsey, their chemistry helped to further their fame but also caused tension within the group. Ultimately she had to leave seven years later to go solo, but in the time spent all together it is said that their live performances were filled with theatrical and interpersonal intensity sometimes bordering on exorcism like ferociousness that lulled audiences into a heavy trance.

Once she went solo in 1981 with Bella Donna she was cemented as the strongest female in the game. The album went platinum within three weeks of its release and is now certified as quadruple platinum — incredible. She was an unforgettable force; everything about her was distinctive. Especially that voice. That husky, emotional, gorgeous voice — that she credits in part to seeing Grace Jones and Janis Joplin play live — will easily give goosebumps to anyone in ear shot. Known also for her unique style, she was always wandering around like a mystical gypsy — long hair blowing in the breeze, chiffon dragging on the ground behind her, that signature black half moon tambourine gently shaking in her hand. She stuck with the same style over the span of her career — it’s said that she’s worn a variation of the same suede platform boots during every performance since 1975, even if they weren’t in style at the time. Her look was so evocative that a slew of witchcraft (not joking) rumors began to spread and she was forced to dial it down a bit as to not scare people away. Despite addictions to cocaine and tranqs she’s still alive and kicking today, making her one of the few female acts of her time to witness induction to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, to watch album sales soar above 100 million, to see college kids forty years her junior decorate their dorm rooms with posters of her and all her friends. Rolling Stone crowned her with the title of Reigning Queen and it seems she’ll be holding on to it for quite some while.

For anyone in NYC who’s equally as obsessed with Miss Nicks as we, there is an event that we all have no choice but to attend. The Night of 1,000 Stevies is May 3rd at the Highline Ballroom in NYC — be there or be square!
I'm sure they mean Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good catch... that's just funnier than all get out, thanks for pointing it out. Yea, I'm not seeing it... Grace Joneses influence on Stevie... ROTFL!

Last edited by desertangel; 02-07-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Old 05-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks' Style Is Bohemian Cool At Its Finest (PHOTOS)

Posted: 05/24/2013 10:30 am EDT | Updated: 05/24/2013 11:05 am EDT
Huffington Post, [Click for slideshow]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3323018.html

"Personally, I think that sexy is keeping yourself mysterious" Stevie Nicks told Rolling Stone in 2002. "I'm really an old-fashioned girl, and I think I'm totally sexy."

Well, there you have it. For over 40 years, Ms. Nicks has embodied bohemian mystique, fronting Fleetwood Mac and pursuing a solo career in billowing sleeves, Victorian lace and dark, draping stage costumes. The singer joined Fleetwood Mac at the end of 1974 and quickly became known for her Grammy award-winning raspy vocals. (Ever heard of a little album called "Rumours"?)

Nicks achieved her memorable aesthetic with the help of stylist Margi Kent, who designed most of her epic ensembles. The costumes are works of art in and of themselves and have been exhibited at The Metropolitan Museum of Art and DC's National Museum of Women in the Arts, among others.

In honor of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee's birthday today (May 26), we're taking a look back at Nicks' memorable -- and sexy -- style. Click through the slideshow below and tell us your favorites.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Trendspotter: Seventies icons The Herald Scotland
http://www.heraldscotland.com/fashio...ter.2013063721

Mairi McDonald, Fashion designer & fashion writer. Monday 17 June 2013

The Seventies was the decade that celebrated Studio 54, the New York nightclub with the elite clientele and the famously outrageous antics.

Studio’s starlet was Bianca Jagger: a fully-fledged fashionista and the wife of a Rolling Stone, she was the epitome of seventies fashion.

The perfect muse to many designers, Bianca's turban hats, kaftans and rich, jewel- toned evening wear have become legendary. She married Mick Jagger in a white Yves Saint Laurent suit which shows the diversity of her style, from decadent glamour to androgynous chic.

Elsewhere, Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks was the hippie high-priestess of seventies fashion. Her style was eclectic - she rocked boho fringed shawls, denim, chiffon, lace and gave cowboy boots a soft feminine look with an enchanting luxe hippie feel.

The Spring Summer 2013 catwalks in Paris celebrated this seventies look with the highly anticipated first collection Hedi Slimane for the rebranded Saint Laurent. The wide-brimmed hats, long-flowing dresses and tailored trouser suits were clearly referencing one era; this was a luxurious, grown-up take on the style of the 1970s for girls with serious rock credentials.

Slimane gave a nod to the iconic Stevie Nicks with his seventies boho take on key silhouettes such as billowy chiffon blouses and flowing maxi dresses, creating a rock star worthy look with multiple neck bows, tuxedo jackets and super skinny trousers. Ponchos, cloaks and capes, and ruffles cascading at necks created drama in a surprisingly dark summer colour palette, an entire collection that could easily be seen on present day style icons such as Kate Moss, who was front row at the show.

Isbael Marant’s Spring Summer 13 collection was said to be inspired by old pictures of Elvis in his Hawaii and Las Vegas days. Marant’s love for wearable perfection saw her staples of embellished jeans, embroidered coats and lace pieces remain. She introduced black and white tropical floral-print shorts and button-down tops knotted at the midriff along with one-shoulder dresses in paisley prints.

Emma Hill took us back to the seventies for Mulberry's Spring Summer 2013 collection, which evoked an English country garden. The colour palette was a mix of neutrals and countryside pastels. With a catwalk decorated with climbing roses, this hazy nostalgia was the perfect setting for cool oversized biker jackets, military-inspired long pea coats, luxe fabrics with seventies-style tailoring, side-pleated skirts, kooky florals and gecko motifs.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Frisky [click for slideshow]

http://www.thefrisky.com/photos/10-p...-stevie-nicks/

How much do I love Stevie Nicks? This is a woman who literally shot cocaine up her butt and also sings like an angel. We loved her as part of Fleetwood Mac and we loved her solo. And we especially loved it when she was on "Oprah" not too long ago. Oprah, plagued by all the debaucherous things Stevie had done in the past, couldn't even deal with asking her anything real, so she was all, "STEVIE! How do you KEEP! Your SKIN! Looking so FRESH!" In Oprah voice, you know.

We are so stoked that Fleetwood Mac is getting the band back together, especially since we were like, 5 the last time they released an album. Plus, Stevie has to die for style, though we'd hardly recommend you copy her look line for line. Come on, do you really want to look like a consumptive rat catcher lady dressed by a flock of whitedoves?

Instead, we suggest you update your Stevie worshiping look with one of these fine frocks.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The Frisky [click for slideshow]

http://www.thefrisky.com/photos/10-p...-stevie-nicks/

How much do I love Stevie Nicks? This is a woman who literally shot cocaine up her butt and also sings like an angel. We loved her as part of Fleetwood Mac and we loved her solo. And we especially loved it when she was on "Oprah" not too long ago. Oprah, plagued by all the debaucherous things Stevie had done in the past, couldn't even deal with asking her anything real, so she was all, "STEVIE! How do you KEEP! Your SKIN! Looking so FRESH!" In Oprah voice, you know.

We are so stoked that Fleetwood Mac is getting the band back together, especially since we were like, 5 the last time they released an album. Plus, Stevie has to die for style, though we'd hardly recommend you copy her look line for line. Come on, do you really want to look like a consumptive rat catcher lady dressed by a flock of whitedoves?

Instead, we suggest you update your Stevie worshiping look with one of these fine frocks.
Ah, that lovely "rumor" will never go away, will it? I love the Oprah comment, that is spot on!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from an interview with designer Alexis Barrell:

Yoodot.com
http://www.yoodot.com/7407/the-influ...lexis-barrell/

Which contemporary musicians do you have crushes on that you would style??

I’m a little old school.

Come on, who is it??

The biggest crush of my life is Stevie Nicks. I’m so in love with her.

That’s okay! Lots of people are in love with Stevie.

I wish I could dress her. In terms of contemporary artists, I like Ellie Goulding, I think she’s really cute.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[See Vogue Australia slide show of fashion looks in tribute to Stevie]

http://www.vogue.com.au/fashion/acce...8533?pos=0#top

First look: Lindsey Wixson for ManiaMania autumn/winter ’14

Created 3rd February 2014

The collection, entitled Solstice, is an ode to singer-songwriter Stevie Nicks and the ‘Welsh Witch’ rumours. It also touches on Wicca, the 20th century religion of paganism and witchcraft.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From A Cup of Starshine Wordpress Blog by Helen in Edinburgh. Click for photos]

http://cupofstarshine.wordpress.com/.../stevie-nicks/

Fleetwood Mac. Everyone has at least one song by this band that resonates with them in some way or another (and if they don’t, they should). I wasn’t around to witness them in their hey day, but still experience a huge sense of nostalgia every time the perfect harmonies of Buckingham, Nicks and McVie penetrate my surroundings. To me, every song is flawless, and my favourite track changes more often than the band’s infamously interchanging line up (though my favourite album will always be Tusk).

Each member of Fleetwood Mac, past and present, intrigues me somewhat. However, when I look at images of the band, or watch videos of them performing live (I’ve not been lucky enough to see them in the flesh), I constantly find my eyes being drawn to the unforgettable and captivating Stevie Nicks.

One of the first female rock stars; Nicks’ timeless music is warm, stirring, melodic and often heartbreaking. I will never tire of the magical way her voice weaves through the airwaves, hauntingly unraveling stories. From ‘Rhiannon’ and ‘Dreams’ right through to ‘Gypsy’ and ‘Edge of Seventeen’, her music has helped generations of people to try and grasp the complexities of life…and love.

Something almost as hypnotizing as Nicks’ music is her eclectic style. Waves of chiffon, sharp silhouettes, layers of lace and Gothic tones seduce anyone who looks upon her, and she’s still making it work today. To me, Stevie is a real style icon – not because of the clothes she wears, but for the way in which she wears them. She encapsulates confidence, and pure sex appeal.

Standing at a petite five foot one, Nicks used draping shawls and fabrics to enhance her onstage presence. Unique accessories such as the now iconic top hat and velvet platform boots added a few inches whilst simultaneously twirling her towards style icon status. Nicks describes one of the first outfits she drew up on paper as “a handkerchief dress with a jacket, long, droopy chiffon sleeves, and velvet platform boots”, stating she “didn’t want to wear high heels.”

Of course, behind every celebrity style queen is a great stylist. Margi Kent is partially responsible for Nicks’ signature look. “I didn’t want to look like anyone else—like Janis Joplin or Grace Slick. That’s why I never went to any of the big designers. I drew a stick figure of what I dreamed up and gave it to my costume designer, Margi Kent, who I still work with.” Always imaginative, unique and completely alluring, this style was all achieved with the help of Kent, who turned Nicks’ dream outfits into a reality.

Inevitably, the way Nicks accidentally created and endorsed trend upon trend has been inspiring designers for over forty years. Floor sweeping skirts, fringed bohemian waistcoats and layers of intertwining pendants have graced the catwalks of many a famous designer (Anna Sui dedicated a whole collection to her) and adorned the bodies of many admiring celebs (hello, Sienna Miller). Nicks was the first to covet this style. She presented it to the masses, quite spectacularly.

Hand in hand with a general admiration for Miss Nicks and her style has come some negativity – in the form of some rather medieval accusations. Yes, it has been suggested that she is a witch. She explained “I spent thousands of dollars on beautiful black clothes and had to stop wearing them for a long time because a lot of people scared me. And that’s really unfair to me, I think, for people – other people – to conjure up their ideas of what I am or what I believe in.”

Witch or not, it can’t be ignored that there is something more than spellbinding about Nicks…
Old 03-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Model Lauren Walega discusses Stevie. She's 22. ]

Timesleader, March 25, 2014

http://timesleader.com/news/WK_Model...-Lauren-Walega

Who do you admire? Stevie Nicks. She has worked so hard to be as successful as she is today. She has gone through so many interesting and crazy things in her life and has learned from it and used her knowledge to inspire others to follow their dreams and do something amazing with themselves.