The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default DeLoreans back in production in Texas.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/na...366656561.html

Interesting. I've always wanted one!
Old 01-28-2016, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/na...366656561.html

Interesting. I've always wanted one!
I've never really seen the appeal.
I cant say they really look all that nice- aside from the gull-wing doors they don't look much better than an average family car. They certainly dont look like a high performance sports car. I gather they aren't all that nice inside either- really basic like driving a tin can. Also, they were notoriously unreliable. I know they are iconic due to the film but there are plenty of other cars I'd rather have; I'd prefer the Lamborghini Countach from Cannonball Run.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always like the looks of DeLorean's. I'm glad its getting a new life. Michael J Fox will be happy.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Besides Fleetwood Mac, DeLoreans are my main passion- I've owned 2 of them (hope to buy a 3rd at some point). The company in Texas, which calls itself DeLorean Motor Company, has nothing to do with the original company which built cars in Northern Ireland in 1981 & 1982. This is yet another one of their publicity stunts. They claim every year or two that they are restarting DeLorean production, but they never do because they will never be able to. Too many trim and body pieces are extinct, and reproducing just one of those would bankrupt their modest operation.

Regarding their fit & finish/interiors, I don't find DeLoreans to be lacking at all. Just look at how basic other cars of the era are:

1981 Corvette:

1981 Datsun 280z Turbo interior:

1981 Porsche 911 interior:

1981 DeLorean:

I know I'm biased, but compared with it's contemporaries, the DeLorean was vastly more modern and tasteful inside. Yes, they are fussy little cars to own. But no cars of the era are known for outstanding reliability. Cars have come a LONG way in the past 35 years.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Regarding their fit & finish/interiors, I don't find DeLoreans to be lacking at all.

I know I'm biased, but compared with it's contemporaries, the DeLorean was vastly more modern and tasteful inside. Yes, they are fussy little cars to own. But no cars of the era are known for outstanding reliability. Cars have come a LONG way in the past 35 years.
Fair enough, was just going on what I'd heard. They don't look bad from your pictures. I still don't think they have the 'sexiest' body shape though.

I know what you mean about cars. I remember as a kid, anytime we had a family journey we'd always break down at some point, no matter what car we had. Cars broken down at the side of the road are generally quite a rare sight these days.