User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
While it is likely Christine resented Bob for suing the band, I don't think her opinion in and of itself would make or break the decision of the RRHOF not to include him.
I tend to agree. Did Christine really have that much influence/clout?

I love Bob's music, both solo and with FM, and absolutely believe he should've been inducted, especially since Spencer and Kirwan were included. I wonder if the RRHOF's "reasoning" was if they let Bob in, they'd have to induct Vito, Burnette, Mason, Weston, etc., too. It's just hard for me to believe that Christine was that powerful.

Last edited by GypsySorcerer; 03-17-2013 at 03:35 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well we know it was always a point of contention with Bob, not being inducted. AS WELL IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. "We" who know the entire history of the band, know how important he was to the history. The FM that went on to sell millions and millions, that incarnation of the band, probably would have never seen the light of day, if it weren't for the 5 albums during the Welch years.
"Bob Welch saved Fleetwood Mac" - Mick Fleetwood
He sustained them during terrible times, really....DO YOU GUYS think they would have survived those years, without him? I mean maybe, but maybe not...
If not, none of us would have the fandom of the BIG lineup, and whatever impact FM's music has had on our lives. We wouldn't be HERE, that's for sure.
Keeping him out of RRHOF was downright criminal, IMO. And believe me, it breaks my heart to know that MY heroine of FM was the one who insisted on him not being inducted...
Old 03-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post

I love Bob's music, both solo and with FM, and absolutely believe he should've been inducted, especially since Spencer and Kirwan were included. I wonder if the RRHOF's "reasoning" was if they let Bob in, they'd have to induct Vito, Burnette, Mason, Weston, etc. too It's just hard for me to believe that Christine was that powerful.
I think when it came to the induction ceremony(I'm speculating), she just said, "if he's in, I won't be there".
I always knew she was tough, but I guess that if you mess with Christine McVie, you might end up at the bottom of the river, wearing cement boots!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
While it is likely Christine resented Bob for suing the band, I don't think her opinion in and of itself would make or break the decision of the RRHOF not to include him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post

I wonder if the RRHOF's "reasoning" was if they let Bob in, they'd have to induct Vito, Burnette, Mason, Weston, etc., too. It's just hard for me to believe that Christine was that powerful.
Yeah, this where I stand in this matter also. Interesting point too regarding inducting Vito and other Macsters. It's kinda like inviting friends out to eat or hangout, at what point do you not invite someone?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think when it came to the induction ceremony(I'm speculating), she just said, "if he's in, I won't be there".
That I can see. But then who actually asked the RRHOF not to induct Bob? I never thought the bands had any say in the induction process. I thought the committee inducted whomever they saw fit. Of course when it comes time for the actual ceremony, who attends, who plays, who speaks, etc. must obviously be hammered out by the band members.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well we know it was always a point of contention with Bob, not being inducted. AS WELL IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. "We" who know the entire history of the band, know how important he was to the history. The FM that went on to sell millions and millions, that incarnation of the band, probably would have never seen the light of day, if it weren't for the 5 albums during the Welch years.
"Bob Welch saved Fleetwood Mac" - Mick Fleetwood
Even if Christine didn't want him to be included, I don't think she felt he didn't deserve to be in there or that he was not an integral contributor to FM's evolution. I think she felt he did something unjust and she was angry with him about it. Her behavior was about emotion rather than his merit.

So, obviously one could argue that you should separate the two and just because you're mad at someone personally doesn't mean they shouldn't be honored with a career achievement they deserve and that is true cerebrally, but when you're upset, you don't really think like that.

Michele
Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
That I can see. But then who actually asked the RRHOF not to induct Bob?
This is my question as well. I can easily believe Chris said that she wouldn't stand on the same stage as him, petty as that might be. But is that enough to have made whoever decides these things exclude Bob?

Who does decide these things? I'm very confused by the whole process.

In any case, whatever her issues were with him, I don't know that I believe in her having that much power over the process. At least not any more than the other members of the band. Why would her opinion override everyone else's?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It COULD be that Christine’s lack of solo success irritated her, and she felt less than Bob as a solo artist.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that, though. Christine was the one with the most hit singles in Fleetwood Mac.

I just don’t think that her solo record meant as much to her as Fleetwood Mac records. I think it was a fun thing she did when the opportunity presented itself. She’s made it clear that she’s NOT Stevie or Lindsey. She needs a band, preferably Fleetwood Mac.

And Wendy? Christine goes further with Fleetwood than solo, which has always been the case. She’s the worst solo artist ever, and Fleetwood Mac fans are just as happy... We got Billy Burnette out of it....

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
This is my question as well. I can easily believe Chris said that she wouldn't stand on the same stage as him, petty as that might be. But is that enough to have made whoever decides these things exclude Bob?

Who does decide these things? I'm very confused by the whole process.

In any case, whatever her issues were with him, I don't know that I believe in her having that much power over the process. At least not any more than the other members of the band. Why would her opinion override everyone else's?
Even in retirement, Christine probably makes more money than those who coordinate such things, so perhaps, some monery changed hands? Just a thought.

John
Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wendy said last night, that the HOF inducts the band, and the band decides which members get included.

I'm not saying that's how it is, but she says that's how it is.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For the sake of argument, let’s assume that Wendy is right and the band makes the final decision. If Chris was the only one who did not want Bob inducted, how is it that she got Mick, John, Lindsey, and Stevie to support her in this?

I am not trying to absolve Chris of culpability, I just find it suspect to say that she was the one holding all the cards.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is Mrs. Welch getting all her info from Mick? Maybe she doesn't know the whole story (that I'd presume Mick knows) either.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just think that Mick caved to Christine's wishes mainly because she was on the verge of retiring and he didn't want to burn that bridge to get her to come back at a future date.

Mick SHOULD have taken the hard stance (that Jerry Garcia did with the Grateful Dead) that it was EVERYBODY or NOBODY. Hence, Donna Jean Godchaux is in the R&RHoF with the Grateful Dead and Bob Welch isn't as a member of Fleetwood Mac. Which member of their respective bands had the greater influence? Get my drift?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I just think that Mick caved to Christine's wishes mainly because she was on the verge of retiring and he didn't want to burn that bridge to get her to come back at a future date.

Mick SHOULD have taken the hard stance (that Jerry Garcia did with the Grateful Dead) that it was EVERYBODY or NOBODY. Hence, Donna Jean Godchaux is in the R&RHoF with the Grateful Dead and Bob Welch isn't as a member of Fleetwood Mac. Which member of their respective bands had the greater influence? Get my drift?
I agree. And FM has always been Mick's LIFE. Meaning that (like Chili said) keeping Christine happy was going to the best "survival move" for keeping FM rolling(or getting her back in the future). Even if it was WRONG(which it was), Mick was throwing Bob under the bus, to stay in Chris' good graces.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. And FM has always been Mick's LIFE. Meaning that (like Chili said) keeping Christine happy was going to the best "survival move" for keeping FM rolling(or getting her back in the future). Even if it was WRONG(which it was), Mick was throwing Bob under the bus, to stay in Chris' good graces.
Not saying Bob shouldn't be in the RRHOF but if I'm Mick and I had to make a choice of upsetting Christine and having her leave the band on a bad note and hurting Bob, I'm going to hurt Bob who sued me EVERY time.

Also, keep in mind that although Mick often speaks for the band, in this case John probably shared his part as one of the co-heads of the band. You know John has a hot head. He might have agreed with Christine about Bob. Even if he didn't, you KNOW he is going to take her side over anyone else's. So, this may actually have been one of those times where John weighed in too, on his own or to support Christine. He'll let Mick do what he wants, but that's only when Mick is not crossing Christine.

Michele