User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod~A~Little View Post
I'm so glad to hear that you prefer the rockers! I've talked with too many people who think she should only stick to the "Landslide" sound. After all, she considers herself more of a rocker when it comes to her solo career.

Nothing Ever Changes was played all over the Rock Radio stations where I lived and probably could have been a single.
I think "You Can't Fix This" is another killer track!

Thanks for your comment!
Rod
YCFT is killer! It's one of my favorite "modern" Stevie solo songs for sure.

Speaking of radio play, I remember hearing "Long Way to Go" on the radio when OSOTM came out, which was pretty coo. Yet another rocker!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 09-09-2017, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm so glad to hear that you prefer the rockers! I've talked with too many people who think she should only stick to the "Landslide" sound. After all, she considers herself more of a rocker when it comes to her solo career.

Nothing Ever Changes was played all over the Rock Radio stations where I lived and probably could have been a single.
I think "You Can't Fix This" is another killer track!

Thanks for your comment!
Rod
Yep. I'm from NYC, and I remember "Long Way To Go" was played often on WNEW which was the classic rock station 102.7 back then. Carol Miller and Scott Muni were among the more popular deejays.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
I LOVE "You can't fix this." The version she did on Letterman was FANTAASTIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEDoG2-0yMs
I'm so glad you mentioned the performance of You Can't Fix This on Letterman! I downloaded that performance because it was SO good. I made a compilation of my fave performance and that was def a great one!
Old 09-14-2017, 05:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Yep. I'm from NYC, and I remember "Long Way To Go" was played often on WNEW which was the classic rock station 102.7 back then. Carol Miller and Scott Muni were among the more popular deejays.
I first heard Long Way To Go on Rockline with Stevie. (which I have a copy on my cassette. lol)
I almost fainted when they played it. It was so damn good. I think it entered the Rock charts on Billboard.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I first heard Long Way To Go on Rockline with Stevie. (which I have a copy on my cassette. lol)
I almost fainted when they played it. It was so damn good. I think it entered the Rock charts on Billboard.
Long Way To Go made it to the top 10 in the Rock charts. I thought FOR SURE it was the next single considering the amount of airplay it was getting, and then they released Two Kinds of Love, which bombed, and it seemed like the whole album tanked right afterwards. I think not releasing LWTG as the next single was a HUGE mistake!
*Ricoh*
Old 09-15-2017, 04:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
Long Way To Go made it to the top 10 in the Rock charts. I thought FOR SURE it was the next single considering the amount of airplay it was getting, and then they released Two Kinds of Love, which bombed, and it seemed like the whole album tanked right afterwards. I think not releasing LWTG as the next single was a HUGE mistake!
*Ricoh*
I think LWTG is the best song on OSOTM but I am not sure it would have charted that much better especially without a video. It was 1989 and videos were HUGE and key to any success. HUGE mistake not to have the second single video. Tried to play catch up with a third single video "Whole Lotta Trouble." but it was too late.
Two kinds of love is a song that must grow on you. Bruce Hornsby was still pretty big in 1989 so a video with him and Stevie would have been played a lot and could have charted the single.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think LWTG is the best song on OSOTM but I am not sure it would have charted that much better especially without a video. It was 1989 and videos were HUGE and key to any success. HUGE mistake not to have the second single video. Tried to play catch up with a third single video "Whole Lotta Trouble." but it was too late.
Two kinds of love is a song that must grow on you. Bruce Hornsby was still pretty big in 1989 so a video with him and Stevie would have been played a lot and could have charted the single.
I can't describe how much I despise "Two Kinds of Love". Awful song with the incredibly dull Bruce Hornsby. I was shocked and saddened when it was announced as a second single. Even with a video I think it would have still flopped especially after the brilliant first single. LWTG would have made a far better second single.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unfortunately for the Other Side of the Mirror, there was not another song as good as Rooms on Fire to keep the momentum going, but I agree, Long Way to Go was good enough for the second single. Ooh My Love was also good but some of the lyrics may not have had a mass enough appeal.

I'm not a huge fan of Rock a Little but agree No Spoken Word is a great song and should have been the lead single from that record.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
I can't describe how much I despise "Two Kinds of Love". Awful song with the incredibly dull Bruce Hornsby. I was shocked and saddened when it was announced as a second single. Even with a video I think it would have still flopped especially after the brilliant first single. LWTG would have made a far better second single.
But what about no video? It was necessary to have a video in the 80's. In most instances MTV introduced the songs to radio. Its almost like Stevie and her record company did not care to prolong the album and sanctioned its demise. Nightbird killed The Wild Heart, HAWAFY killed Rock a little, and Two Kinds of Love killed OSOTM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But what about no video? It was necessary to have a video in the 80's. In most instances MTV introduced the songs to radio. Its almost like Stevie and her record company did not care to prolong the album and sanctioned its demise. Nightbird killed The Wild Heart, HAWAFY killed Rock a little, and Two Kinds of Love killed OSOTM.
She's lucky that Two Kinds of Love didn't kill her career. Yuck-o.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Unfortunately for the Other Side of the Mirror, there was not another song as good as Rooms on Fire to keep the momentum going, but I agree, Long Way to Go was good enough for the second single. Ooh My Love was also good but some of the lyrics may not have had a mass enough appeal.

I'm not a huge fan of Rock a Little but agree No Spoken Word is a great song and should have been the lead single from that record.
I agree with everything you said about TOSOTM and how Ooh My Love's lyrics might not have had mass appeal. Great song, though. But I don't agree with you that No Spoken Word should have been the lead single from RAL. Talk to Me did just fine as the lead single, it had a great video, a catchy chorus, was a huge hit, and was even nominated for a Grammy. I like No Spoken Word but I don't know that it would have been the smash hit Talk to Me was. It might have been a more appropriate choice as a third single, though.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nightbird killed The Wild Heart, HAWAFY killed Rock a little, and Two Kinds of Love killed OSOTM.
I could be mistaken, but I think the Wild Heart and (especially) Rock a Little were dropping down the charts well before the third singles were released, so they can't really be blamed for killing the albums. Not than I'm a fan of Nightbird, that was a horrible decision to make that song a single. Same with Two Kinds of Love.

"Two Kinds of love... one for the way you walk... and one for the way you love me." Man, those are pretty bad lyrics.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I could be mistaken, but I think the Wild Heart and (especially) Rock a Little were dropping down the charts well before the third singles were released, so they can't really be blamed for killing the albums. Not than I'm a fan of Nightbird, that was a horrible decision to make that song a single. Same with Two Kinds of Love.

"Two Kinds of love... one for the way you walk... and one for the way you love me." Man, those are pretty bad lyrics.
Oh yes the albums were dropping right after the lead single peaked. But that is typical of every album for the most part. I think it was Paul Fishkin who stated his regrets in releasing Nightbird. I think he said if Enchanted was released they could have sold another million albums. While I cant stomach most of RAL, there were plenty of cheezy synth pop songs that could have charted (with a video) over the raspy HAWAFY.
I am not expressing my opinion of what song I like for singles. I am just saying the wrong songs were chosen for third singles on Wild Heart and RAL. Better singles with videos (two kinds of Love) can keep an album afloat, that is all I am saying. Its hard to find any hits from the mid to late 80's that did not have videos. Its clear when a record company does not care an artist does a video in the 80's they agree the album is dead.

The lyrics you hate, I sort of love especially once Stevie explained them. Two Kinds of love are love and lust. One for the way you love me (love) and one for the way you walk (the lust after someone when you see them walk towards you or walk away with their buns shifting). I thought she did great in that. But you like the Talk to me kind of songs

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-15-2017 at 06:38 PM..
Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What can I say, macfan, you're right- I'll take Talk to Me any day over Two Kinds of Love! There's really no comparison between the two.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
What can I say, macfan, you're right- I'll take Talk to Me any day over Two Kinds of Love! There's really no comparison between the two.
Talk To Me is an empty pop song targeted at top 40 stations that have no depth and not even written by Stevie. It also is a song she would never write. Two Kinds of Love is pure poetry and masterpiece of lyrics. Stevie rarely writes such a gushing lust and love song. It also gives a glimpse into her wild party, up for days partying lifestyle. I think its a spin off Room on Fire. Complete obsession, love at first sight kind of stuff. The lyrics are a passionate letter you would write to someone you are obsessed with. I just think we all search for love and we hate searching. We all wait for love and we hate waiting. I think her writing on OSOTM is brilliant. I LOVE her autobiography songs, especially those that I completely relate to. I love the song and its just too good for pop radio like a lot of her songs. But her attempt at it live just does not work. But that's ok.

Ooh and on you run
You search for love and you hate searching
You wait for love and you hate waiting
You say I hate this
Well it's just another test
'Cause there are two kinds of love
To do the thing that we do the best
My masterpiece
Who in the world do you think that you are fooling
Well I've already done everything that you are doing
Well the two of us, well we must be
A great temptation to have even started
Well don't you know, as you walk on by
That great temptations never really die
Well I talked to my famous friend last night
My third day up well, his second nighter
He says I don't know how you do what you do how do you
Let the world in
Well I say well there's no way out
Then I just play out the game
Well the two of us Widow and a Dove

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-16-2017 at 05:49 AM..