The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Munich 1970: Is it possible Peter Green discovered Krautrock?

I don't believe what Mick, and John will tell the media that Peter Green "snapped" in Munich, because he didn't. The fact that he came back reluctantly to replace Jeremy Spencer nine months later does not scream Syd Barrett. Peter Green was bored with Fleetwood Mac, and he wanted to leave. His mental illness came later after he left the band. He was not right by 1973.

In March 1970 Munich, there was this band named Can. They were labeled "Krautrock". They made King Crimson sound like the Beatles in 1963. This band was the equivalent of free jazz in rock music. It's rumored that this was the band Peter Green jammed with in the basement of that mansion in Munich 3/70. If Mick , Jeremy, and John heard this music as per the Peter Green BBC doc from 2007, you would think in 1970 it came from another planet. This explains "The End of the Game". Peter Green wasn't crazy, he was bored and explored a form a rock music that was forty years ahead of it's time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlMFm9touZ8
Old 06-11-2015, 06:08 AM
Ledgie

Peter Green was obviously trying/wanting to expand his musical horizon - and he was doing so from late 1968 to 1971 (at least).
From Albatross to Beasts of Burden he (with a little help from his friends...) achieved some amazing music!

But of course PG didn´t "discover" krautrock - the german experimental ("rock") groups had been active since 1967/68.
The term "krautrock" didn´t exist until 1971, though. See this for probable origins:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephe...e/13285796895/
Old 06-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=slipkid;1167994]
In March 1970 Munich, there was this band named Can. They were labeled "Krautrock". They made King Crimson sound like the Beatles in 1963. This band was the equivalent of free jazz in rock music. It's rumored that this was the band Peter Green jammed with in the basement of that mansion in Munich 3/70.

Do you have any links that would prove this Slipkid ?Fascinating if it was so cause the High Fish Commune was closely associated with Amon Duul II rather than Can ,I believe
Old 06-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=THD;1168009]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
In March 1970 Munich, there was this band named Can. They were labeled "Krautrock". They made King Crimson sound like the Beatles in 1963. This band was the equivalent of free jazz in rock music. It's rumored that this was the band Peter Green jammed with in the basement of that mansion in Munich 3/70.

Do you have any links that would prove this Slipkid ?Fascinating if it was so cause the High Fish Commune was closely associated with Amon Duul II rather than Can ,I believe
i agree with you, thd - if one of these bands was actually involved in those sessions, then my 2 cents are on amon düül as well, because can was a band from cologne.

BUT . . . there were TWO bands existing in munich at that time, amon düül 1 and amon düül 2. the original amon düül had split up into those 2 commune bands in 1968 already. that takes the question even further as to which of them MIGHT have been jamming with our heroes that night . . . IF AT ALL! but i never heard any rumours about that before.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default It was an illogical leap based on emotion

When I heard the youtube link of Can from 1969, it just made sense that Peter Green's musical direction was beyond playing blues rock for FM after Munich. After hearing "You Doo Right", it reminded me of "The End of the Game". If it wasn't Can who played that night, it was another band of the same genre.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:03 PM
jeremy spencer
This message has been deleted by jeremy spencer.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Ledgie

Man, i'm a "kraut" myself, are you kiddin' ?

CAN were from Cologne, this incident was at a Castle Close to Landshut in Bavaria, CAN had nothing to do with assholes like Rainer Langhans
Old 07-16-2015, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl-Heinz View Post
Man, i'm a "kraut" myself, are you kiddin' ?

CAN were from Cologne, this incident was at a Castle Close to Landshut in Bavaria, CAN had nothing to do with assholes like Rainer Langhans

But Amon Duul started out in Munich.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:30 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
But Amon Duul started out in Munich.
Yes, that's true; they may even exist today ah, really still alive and well

http://www.amonduul.de/intro.html