User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
HOLY CRAP that Silver Springs gave me freaking CHILLS. She hasn't shown that much passion doing that song since Atlanta 2004. I am FLOORED.

It does my heart good to know she still has it in her.
That's great to hear! Too bad a vid of that never turned up.

I hope a diff angle for this one surfaces.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
That's great to hear! Too bad a vid of that never turned up.
What do you mean? I posted 2 of them.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
What do you mean? I posted 2 of them.
From ATL in 2004.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

It was before Big Love that Lindsey says "it smells like you guys are having a pretty good time. Yeah," in response to the marijuana fumes wafting towards him.

When Stevie comes out for Without Love she says, "this is my moment!" I suppose that it's because Lindsey's family is present that she sanitizes things a bit, so that you might imagine that she and Lindsey were just chums. She doesn't mention how it's the nicest song she ever wrote about them or that she did it when they were so in love. She doesn't recall their great romance or say what a "loyal boyfriend" he was to insist that she join the band too. She refers to herself as the girl, rather than the "girlfriend."

This disappoints me, because I was thinking with that assembly, it'd be a great time to graphically explain, "Yep, in 1970 Lindsey and I were insatiable lovers hitting it on the regular," but nooooo. . .

She reaches out and grabs his collar, trying to protect his chest from the elements. He wards her off as if to say that he is fine. She says, "He never gets cold."

For Say Goodbye Lindsey reflects on being back in this place. It's their home. He and Stevie came down . . . when was it? 1972? [Stevie, who is so good with dates, doesn't respond],
Michele

Thanks for the great review! I love all the details (& humour) you include.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac Reunites at Hollywood Bowl

http://www.lamag.com/laculture/cultu...hollywood-bowl

Rejuvenated and finally unencumbered by their past, Fleetwood Mac played a formidable show

Posted on 5/29/2013 10:57:00 AM by Sonya Singh Los Angeles Magazine

Nothing ever turns out as expected for Fleetwood Mac. Whether their collapsing relationships were translating into their best albums or their tour announcements were coming on the heels of an interview saying they’d never tour again, the British-American quartet found themselves hugging it out on stage following an explosive hometown show at the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday night.

They’ve overcome plenty to look so at peace with one another, but that’s where the tranquility ended. The band came out swinging with “Secondhand News,” summoning so much gusto that it’s a wonder they didn’t run ahead of the song’s tempo. “L.A., let’s get ready to party!” cried Stevie Nicks to a blast of cheers before launching into her breakup hit “Dreams.” The fretwork of Lindsey Buckingham, particularly on “I’m So Afraid,” proved that he is still one of the most underrated guitarists in rock. A wide-eyed Mick Fleetwood breathed new life into straightforward drum parts while slick bassist John McVie calmly maintained his place as the band’s rock. It’s no great revelation, though, that Nicks — “Our lady, our poet,” as Fleetwood introduced her — stole the scene, twirling around the stage and ad libbing new lines into “Gold Dust Woman,” likely inspired by the night’s full moon.

Fleetwood Mac has always been the sum of its unique parts, and for all the band’s hits, the absence of any member is keenly felt. Keyboardist Christine McVie, whose compositions arguably rank among Fleetwood Mac’s finest, retired from touring in the ’90s. While skillful, their longtime backup singers tucked at stage left failed to compensate for her warm vocal harmonies. The reports that she may take the stage with her former bandmates when they play in London has set L.A. fans abuzz. If she’ll play one of the band’s two hometowns, why not the other?

Even without hits like “Everywhere,” “You Make Lovin’ Fun” and former show-closer “Songbird,” the two-and-a-half-hour set did not disappoint. Greatest hits were celebrated alongside new releases like “Sad Angel” and “Without You,” a holdover from 1970s Buckingham/Nicks songwriting. They also played “Landslide,” “Go Your Own Way,” and “The Chain,” as well as a Stevie Nicks solo track and a few deeper cuts including “Not That Funny” and “Sisters of the Moon," the latter of which they haven’t played since 1982’s Mirage Tour. Both songs come from Tusk, the unusual Rumours followup album.

No one would have blamed Fleetwood Mac if their show felt like a forced TV reunion with plastered smiles and rose-tinted nostalgia. It was far more genuine. “It smells like you’re having a good time out there,” joked Buckingham, but so was the band. They told stories of their early years in L.A. — the only way Buckingham would agree to Fleetwood’s request join the band, as we also learned in Dave Grohl’s Sound City documentary, was if he could bring Nicks. Now the most famous member of the bunch, she thanked Fleetwood and John McVie “for telling Lindsey he could bring the girl along.” The warmth between Nicks and Buckingham never ebbed even as he growled “Damn your love/Damn your lies” during “The Chain.” Their closing duet of “Say Goodbye” left a few people dabbing their eyes with the corners of their sleeves. Rejuvenated and finally unencumbered by their past, Fleetwood Mac proved themselves as formidable and as together as ever.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Junior Ledgie

Yay! I've been lurking around for a while, waiting to get approved and it's finally happened!

I just wanted to post my little review as a first time Fleetwood Mac concert goer. I'm from San Diego and bought the Hollywood Bowl tickets for my mom and I as soon as they went on sale because at that time, they hadn't made plans for San Diego. Of course San Diego was added to the tour a couple weeks later, which I couldn't resist buying tickets for.

Like I said, I've never been to a Fleetwood Mac concert and it has always been my dream. Several years ago I went to a Tom Petty concert, who unbeknownst to me, Stevie Nicks was touring with. I totally lost my sh*t when she came out. So being able to see her with Fleetwood Mac last weekend and getting to hear her little antidotes before songs was just awesome.

We sat in the so called "cheap seats" which was still actually pretty good. I thought overall they sounded incredible. I was not a huge fan of this version of Never Going Back Again, but everything else was great. I'd read the set list but I was so into the concert that I forgot all about it, and once Silver Springs started (my favorite) I couldn't believe that I forgot they were suppose to play it. I was a little bummed that nobody in my section was standing/dancing throughout the concert. The few that tried were told pretty quickly to sit down by security. Once Go Your Own Way started EVERYONE in the audience was standing and dancing, FINALLY! And they stayed that way until the end of the encores.

We had lunch earlier in the day and they played a 2004 live video of Fleetwood Mac playing Stand Back. Stevie was so into it and I thought how it was kind of a bummer that she's not that active on stage anymore, however completely understandable. That being said, I think she totally ROCKED Stand Back! It may have had half the physical energy, but THE energy was still there (if that makes any sense?) Something about her as a performer just totally draws you in, even if it's just with the slightest of movements.

Overall I couldn't have asked for a better night. Even my mom who I was worried about lasting all night couldn't believe it was over come 10:45ish and wanted more. My only gripes are, I wish I was closer, the "big" screens at HB could be bigger, didn't really love NGBA (mom did), and maybe Mick's somewhat creepy, "don't be shy...don't be shy..." during his World Turning drum solo.

I'm so happy I broke down and bought tickets to the San Diego show, if I hadn't bought them before the Hollywood Bowl show, I definitely would have as soon as I got home.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
Overall I couldn't have asked for a better night. Even my mom who I was worried about lasting all night couldn't believe it was over come 10:45ish and wanted more. My only gripes are, I wish I was closer, the "big" screens at HB could be bigger, didn't really love NGBA (mom did), and maybe Mick's somewhat creepy, "don't be shy...don't be shy..." during his World Turning drum solo.
Now, that you've put that into my head, Mick's line does sound rather ominous, like he might use it to lure an innocent into his wood paneled station wagon.

I just wonder why he says absolutely nonsensical things like, "There's something I want to know . . . are you with me?" Well, we are, Mick. Because we have no choice.

Michele
Old 05-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Now, that you've put that into my head, Mick's line does sound rather ominous, like he might use it to lure an innocent into his wood paneled station wagon.

I just wonder why he says absolutely nonsensical things like, "There's something I want to know . . . are you with me?" Well, we are, Mick. Because we have no choice.

Michele
lol Honestly I couldn't make out much of what he was saying, but I did hear, "Don't be shy" several times, just the way he said it...my mom and I looked at each other and said, "I want him to stop saying that." lol But, hey! If that's my only complaint, not so bad!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They told stories of their early years in L.A. — the only way Buckingham would agree to Fleetwood’s request to join the band, as we also learned in Dave Grohl’s Sound City documentary, was if he could bring Nicks. Now the most famous member of the bunch, she thanked Fleetwood and John McVie “for telling Lindsey he could bring the girl along.
I haven't seen Dave Grohl's docu. yet so I'm thankful this reporter filled me in on how Stevie was asked to join FM. Otherwise I never would have known.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^I don't agree with the term "vicious rendition of Sara".

There's loss and lushness, but really no anger in that song and no pounding beat. I don't know where "vicious" comes from.
"vicious" is often used the same way as words like "killer" or "wicked" i.e. really awesome, kick-ass, energetic etc.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
“California! The Hollywood Bowl, just like I pictured it,” Stevie Nicks greeted the crowd just before Dreams.

Really fun to read your review Michele. THanks!