Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default dog and dustbin

nice description of the time from graham parker about when the record came out. on his 13 top albums list: http://thequietus.com/articles/18951...terview?page=6

also on seeing the early danny k. era band and how the d&b has stayed with him as a key influence

z
Old 10-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting this, mzero. Graham Parker is often overlooked in comparison with Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson, but he made some good music. Good to read how early Fleetwood Mac influenced him.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a huge fan of Graham Parker and have seen him in concert dozens of times. I have heard him play "World Keep On Turning" at least twice, and I enjoyed his performances very much. These were solo performances without a band. GP is well known as a superb songwriter and singer, but his excellent guitar playing chops are often overlooked.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Out of interest, is anything known about the cover photo for the Fleetwood Mac album?
Who took the picture? where was it taken? who selected it and why? It's such an iconic image.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Out of interest, is anything known about the cover photo for the Fleetwood Mac album?
Who took the picture? where was it taken? who selected it and why? It's such an iconic image.
I recalled reading a bit about that photo in the liner notes for The Vaudeville Years, and the notes are actually reproduced here on the site:
The Vaudeville Years Of Fleetwood Mac: 1968 To 1970
Quote:
That Fleetwood Mac white blues classic is known as the 'Dog and Dustbin' album because of the cover shot depicting Chicago-esque urban poverty - albeit tastefully art directed and photographed on the mean streets of Battersea or thereabouts.
That's about all I know. Needless to say, the "Fleetwood Mac" graffiti is obviously fake - many of us could do a better job of that with Photoshop these days!
Old 10-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I recalled reading a bit about that photo in the liner notes for The Vaudeville Years, and the notes are actually reproduced here on the site:
The Vaudeville Years Of Fleetwood Mac: 1968 To 1970

That's about all I know. Needless to say, the "Fleetwood Mac" graffiti is obviously fake - many of us could do a better job of that with Photoshop these days!
Many thanks.
Yes, I wondered whether it was shot in the US or the UK. It reminded me of a New York back alley scene- didnt even really think of Chicago. I decided it probably was the UK though. It never occured to me the title was supposed to be graffiti.

By the way- There was another thread a while back where somebody brought up the Pious Bird of Good Omen cover. I could have sworn one of the comilation albums (not PBOGO) has a brief mention of that album cover in the liner notes (just read Vaudeville Years and its not that). I can't for the life of me think which it is- I've read through everything I can find but I must have misplaced an album- cant figure out what though. I dont suppose it rings a bell? It's been doing my head in for a while now.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Needless to say, the "Fleetwood Mac" graffiti is obviously fake (...)
true, true, sharksfan! and though this certainly doesn't need any further proof - here's a scan of the cover as used for the original german pressing of the album . . . with a hardly noticeable difference in the artwork. and please excuse the scribbling by a certain person!
anyway, an interesting variation, innit?! which artwork might be deemed as preferable is up to one's personal taste, of course. but at least no fake graffiti . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fleetwood dog & dustbin germany.jpg (79.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
true, true, sharksfan! and though this certainly doesn't need any further proof - here's a scan of the cover as used for the original german pressing of the album . . . with a hardly noticeable difference in the artwork. and please excuse the scribbling by a certain person!
anyway, an interesting variation, innit?! which artwork might be deemed as preferable is up to one's personal taste, of course. but at least no fake graffiti . . .
Cool autograph, lazy poker! I never knew that the album cover was different in Germany.

And getting further off the original subject of this thread, I picked up a UK import of Then Play On in the late '70s (with the original track order) with the cover below rather than the more familiar one with the man on a horse. Not sure off the top of my head whether this was a re-issue or if this was the original artwork for the UK release.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And getting further off the original subject of this thread, I picked up a UK import of Then Play On in the late '70s (with the original track order) with the cover below rather than the more familiar one with the man on a horse. Not sure off the top of my head whether this was a re-issue or if this was the original artwork for the UK release.

. . . with the interesting cover back displayed in the attachment, right?! that's a reissue for sure (probably from the mid-70s), but a nice addition to a collection. but quite why they exchanged the original artwork for some time - i haven't got a clue. anyone in the know about this out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg then play on ri back.jpg (61.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . with the interesting cover back displayed in the attachment, right?! that's a reissue for sure (probably from the mid-70s), but a nice addition to a collection. but quite why they exchanged the original artwork for some time - i haven't got a clue. anyone in the know about this out there?
Yes, that's the one, lazy poker. Certainly the reissue album sleeve was less expensive to produce compared with the original gatefold style album sleeve, but they could have still found a way to make it work with the original album cover artwork but without the gatefold and inner artwork.

I found that album at a local record store in Berkeley. They were selling them pretty cheap, especially for an import to the US - they must have found a good deal on them. I was glad to have it for the original UK tracks and track order - it was the first time I'd heard "When You Say" and "My Dream". I'd already heard "One Sunny Day" and "Without You" on the US English Rose compilation by that time.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
The artist objected to its use. He was not informed prior to the release.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
I never knew this. Thank you. Too bad. I'm sure more people know about that artist and his painting (John Jesse, is it?) than if it weren't used.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
thanks for enlightenment, jeremy!
but as the original cover art has been used again ever after, there must have been some agreement worked out with the artist (following his objections), i suppose.