Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default This forum is such a relief

I think the post-Rumours forum might be the best place to discuss the new line up. While I understand the disappointment about Lindsey not being in FM, I am just astounded by some of the theories, speculation, and rumors that are being tossed around as fact on the Rumours board. The name-calling and rude remarks are one thing, but the way misinformation is being spread as truth is insane, and actually making any argument against FM for firing Lindsey seem credible.

Someone posts what they think happened on page one, and when you get to page 3, someone is repeating that theory as fact, and then someone else responds "I knew it!" Sure, there's some comic relief, like the Freudian reading between the lines of every statement Stevie has said since 1975, or reading into their body language during their televised interview or at MusiCares, but the outlandish theories they share make me suspect of everything they share. I mean, I could believe Stevie wanted Lindsey out of the band, but when they show as 'evidence' a remark she made about touring in 1982, yeah, they lose credibility in my eyes.

I would encourage folks who want to discuss Fleetwood Mac now start doing so on this forum. I come to this board to check on tour dates, latest news, etc but doing so on the Rumours forum means wading through a lot of negativity and hostility. Hopefully people will continue to post the latest news about FM in this forum, not only so we can avoid the negativity, but also so we don't irritate them.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I think the post-Rumours forum might be the best place to discuss the new line up. While I understand the disappointment about Lindsey not being in FM, I am just astounded by some of the theories, speculation, and rumors that are being tossed around as fact on the Rumours board. The name-calling and rude remarks are one thing, but the way misinformation is being spread as truth is insane, and actually making any argument against FM for firing Lindsey seem credible.

Someone posts what they think happened on page one, and when you get to page 3, someone is repeating that theory as fact, and then someone else responds "I knew it!" Sure, there's some comic relief, like the Freudian reading between the lines of every statement Stevie has said since 1975, or reading into their body language during their televised interview or at MusiCares, but the outlandish theories they share make me suspect of everything they share. I mean, I could believe Stevie wanted Lindsey out of the band, but when they show as 'evidence' a remark she made about touring in 1982, yeah, they lose credibility in my eyes.
I would encourage folks who want to discuss Fleetwood Mac now start doing so on this forum. I come to this board to check on tour dates, latest news, etc but doing so on the Rumours forum means wading through a lot of negativity and hostility. Hopefully people will continue to post the latest news about FM in this forum, not only so we can avoid the negativity, but also so we don't irritate them.
really? funny, I've been reading all those threads and have not seen that reference at all.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am content to look forward to the tour and the possibility of new music. A lot of the vitriol on other parts of this site is vile but predictable. And the rhetoric keeps ratcheting up. I am sure Lindsey would be sickened to read some of the stuff his rabid fans are writing.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's like a breath of fresh air in this forum. Calm and peaceful with reasonable discussions. A good place to be
Old 04-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My hope for this lineup of FM is not so much the upcoming tour, but the prospect of new recording. Maybe the chemistry will be good and the creative juices will flow.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:41 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
It's like a breath of fresh air in this forum. Calm and peaceful with reasonable discussions. A good place to be
I agree. I started visiting the "old" Ledge back during The Dance, signed up for this version while anticipating the Say You Will tour and have been visiting again throughout the past year+ just the check on the status of the tour (and then to try to find out what was going on with Lindsey when I saw a tweet referencing it on a political [trolling] twitter I follow).

Even before all this Lindsey stuff happened, I was surprised at the difference in tone of The Ledge from what I remember. Back in the day everyone had their favorites, but I don't recall so much vitriol (but it's been awhile and my memory isn't great). Anyway, while the ousting of Lindsey was shocking, I'm still looking forward to the tour (I love Mike Campbell and I think Neil is an interesting addition) and was hoping to be able to get info and talk among fans...but trying to read through some of the other threads is frustrating.

Looking forward to a potential setlist shake up...and planning to see them in Buffalo next March.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The theories and speculation on this board are born right out of the band's statements especially Stevie Nicks. I am tired of listening to her because there is no way I believe anything she says anymore. Of course the fans should have problems with what she says. She is to be commended for always sticking by the Mac during Lindsey's first departure and Christine's departure. However her statements over the last few years project her dysfunction in the band.
Lets me be specific.
A miracle happened and Christine came back to the band. Stevie was so happy that she did the cutest thing ever. She would come out after the concerts and talk to the crowd alone just basically glowing how happy she was Christine was back. The band went on a long tour but the excitement was the possibility of getting another Rumours 5 album. Holy moly would that be exciting. Not since the 1980s this happened. We looked past this part in the beginning but Lindsey and Christine were leaking they were busy with new recordings and were excited for the world to hear them. They were shelved and the band went on tour. When the tour ended Lindsey and Christine went back into the studio in anticipating it would be a Mac album. I thought Stevie would definitely come along but she didn't. Mick gave press statements that he was not sure Stevie would join them. She didn't and gave the reason albums don't sell anymore. This was confusing because Stevie said In Your Dreams was her favorite solo album and she did not care about the music industry anymore. While Mick, John, Lindsey, and Christine worked in the studio, Stevie embarked on a solo tour. Her tour was extended twice. Since it was clear Stevie would not record with her old band, Lindsey and Christine called their album "Buckingham McVie" and went on a tour. After both tours ended, Stevie went away for several months or a much deserved rest. Lindsey gets fired. Mick and Stevie's statements are odd. Basically they state Lindsey would not tour with them. The Mac's tour does not even begin for a half year (October). WTF. Lindsey could have done an extensive solo tour by then. This time last year Lindsey was the only one in the band saying the Mac had many more tours to do and he did not understand why other band members were calling the next tour a goodbye tour.
This is not a typical way a lead guitarist and vocalist gets fired from a band. Usually substance abuse or a violent incident leads to a termination. This is even more odd because this could be the Mac's last tour. Is it really worth it to end their legacy this way?
IMHO its completely normal to speculate what the hell is going on. It makes no sense. I think its fair to say that Stevie and Lindsey do not get along. Its foolish to not bring this into the equation when discussing this action by the band. IMHO Lindsey is the reason Stevie did not record with the band. And its not logical to believe this had nothing to do with Lindsey being fired and Mike Campbell taking his place immediately.
To not speculate is not telling the truth IMHO.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As someone who became a FM fan when Time was the new album, I really don't care about the speculation of who, why, when, etc.

I care about new music, be that from Lindsey as a solo artist, Lindsey in FM, or Stevie, Mike and Neil in FM.

This band has been pretty much crazy from the beginning, from John McVie not joining the band that bore his name, to Peter leaving, Jeremy leaving, Danny being fired, Walker and Weston being fired, Peter and Nigel back again (and we can argue another time if Nigel was an FM member or not), and Welch quitting when he surely should have stayed. And that's just 7 or 8 years out of 51.

If there was any expectation that the band would end in any way different to how it lived its life, it wasn't from me.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
If there was any expectation that the band would end in any way different to how it lived its life, it wasn't from me.
This is pretty much my sentiment.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Some will also defend and support any corporate decision the band makes. If tomorrow they decided to wear Kiss make up and sign country, many would fall in line.
I guess what irks me the most especially in today's world of double standards men vs women is if Stevie was the one fired for wanting to promote her solo album.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Starting to get really frustrated and down about all the posting on other forums. It's one thing to be hurt, angry at the band or persons for what has happened, but another when you rip someones character apart and become rude, disrespectful and at the point of almost wishing a certain member dead.
The fact is, no one really knows what went down, none of us were in on any of the discussions, everything is second-hand news. So I'm coming here for rest and to go forward with whatever direction the band takes us. I am very grateful that we have had as many years as we did, that all the band members are still alive and working. Yes, I need a breath of fresh air.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
My hope for this lineup of FM is not so much the upcoming tour, but the prospect of new recording. Maybe the chemistry will be good and the creative juices will flow.
I remember hearing an interview with Mike Campbell on Sirius XM after Tom Petty's death. He was talking about continuing to be creative with his music career. So maybe he will funnel that creativity into Fleetwood Mac.

Last edited by jkmaletic; 05-01-2018 at 08:04 AM..
Old 05-01-2018, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Some will also defend and support any corporate decision the band makes. If tomorrow they decided to wear Kiss make up and sign country, many would fall in line.
I guess what irks me the most especially in today's world of double standards men vs women is if Stevie was the one fired for wanting to promote her solo album.
I don't fully understand your point. Lindsey is out, his fans hate Stevie and believe Lindsey can do no wrong and it is all the fault of the other band members that he's out. If Stevie was out, her fans would hate Lindsey and believe that Steve could do no wrong and it is all the fault of the other band members that she was out. Only difference being, like it or not, she probably has more fans.

As for the Kiss makeup and country, if the music was good, we would listen because ultimately its about the music.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Agree.

It's a little creepy when fans start putting together their own narrative based on what they see on social media.

I'm in it for the music and have enough drama in my own personal life. I can't imagine getting so engrossed in the drama of people I don't know personally.

Also - this band is mostly in their 70's. They should do what they want when they want.
I'm just happy they still have the desire to play. None of them need the money, so the cash grab comments are pretty absurd.
They're like Bob Dylan or the Heartbreakers in that they do what they love.

Some people have a tremendous amount of free time on their hands.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
Agree.

Also - this band is mostly in their 70's. They should do what they want when they want.
I'm just happy they still have the desire to play. None of them need the money, so the cash grab comments are pretty absurd.
They're like Bob Dylan or the Heartbreakers in that they do what they love.
That's been my feeling. They should do what they want and they don't owe me anything with regard to actions or explanations.

I'm just glad they're all still alive. Alive and willing to tour? Even better.

I don't get the cash grab talk either. Their ability to tour and make money doing this is reaching the end of its shelf-life; they should go ahead and make all the money they can while they can. The fact that in this stage of their lives and careers they can still pack arenas and get paid buckets of money to do it (rather than playing small venues or county fairs like all but the very tops of their generation)? More power to 'em.

If I knew how I'd insert that "Shut up and take my money!" meme here.

I honestly think some fans are losing more sleep and getting more worked up about this than Lindsey probably is. As much as some people seem to hate Stevie, you'd think they'd be relieved that they are now free to see him in smaller, more intimate venues and without having to hear her stories or "goat" singing.