The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What old stuff would Neil Finn sound good on?

Personally I can only imagine him doing Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch stuff. Campbell would probably do all the Greeny material.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not familiar with much of the pre-Rumours era, but I think Neil Finn could sing Sentimental Lady and Man of the World, both of which are on the Chain 4 CD box set. And Crystal reminds me of Don't Dream It's Over in some ways. Also, it would be wonderful if he would sing I Don't Want to Know with Stevie and Hold Me with Christine.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I'm not familiar with much of the pre-Rumours era, but I think Neil Finn could sing Sentimental Lady and Man of the World, both of which are on the Chain 4 CD box set. And Crystal reminds me of Don't Dream It's Over in some ways. Also, it would be wonderful if he would sing I Don't Want to Know with Stevie and Hold Me with Christine.
I can imagine Hold Me. Stevie doesn't like IDWTK so I don't see that one happening.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
I can imagine Hold Me. Stevie doesn't like IDWTK so I don't see that one happening.
Are you sure about that? I know she was angry FM took Silver Springs off Rumours and put I Don't Want to Know on in it's place, but I never took that to mean she didn't like the song itself. It's one of my favorites and I think she and Stevie could sing it well.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Hold Me is a tough song to do live because of the overdubs. They perfected it on the Buck/McVie tour. It sounded pretty good but it works because its a duet with Lindsey. It will sound terrible sung by anyone else. No shame to them but you cant imitate Lindsey. It just sounds bad. You don't try to replace people literally and do all their songs and parts. Hold Me is unique because the entire song is a blend of Christine and Lindsey's voice.
Here is my prediction: The Crowded House guy will sing The Chain with Stevie and Lindsey, World Turning and do Man of the world. Man of the world is Christine's all time favorite song.
You guys can reward me for being right in a few months. I don't ask for much. Maybe a free breakfast at Dennys.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-11-2018 at 04:53 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Are you sure about that? I know she was angry FM took Silver Springs off Rumours and put I Don't Want to Know on in it's place, but I never took that to mean she didn't like the song itself. It's one of my favorites and I think she and Stevie could sing it well.
I do seem to remember her saying it was a song she didn't like - this was 1991 when she had got the hump with Mick over the whole Silver Springs thing. Mick's words were "It's either I Don't Want to Know or you only have two songs on the album."
Old 04-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd think it's possible the Pre-Rumours stuff will include, Oh well, Albatross, Black Magic Woman, why, then maybe things like Future Games, and Hypnotized (of course not all need Finn to sing)
Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Neil's having a think and learning some new songs

Neil's updated his twitter

http://www.neilfinn.com/news/

I know I've gone a bit quiet, been gathering thoughts, learning songs, improving punctuation and buying some new clothes. We'll talk soon.

Hey Neil... in case you need any ideas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB22ceQcoFw

and good luck to you! There have only been nine guitarists before you in this band. No pressure...(but I think you'll be fine).
Old 04-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Man of the World (if they want to play it. Its a bit depressing)
Station Man
Sentimental Lady
Hypnotized
Did You Ever Love Me (with Christine)
Need Your Love So Bad (would they still play this cover?)
Like it This Way

I've got a feeling they'll try Oh Well, Black Magic Woman and Green Manalishi. Maybe they could use co-singers. I can envisage Neil singing Oh Well with Stevie.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-16-2018, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Man of the World (if they want to play it. Its a bit depressing)
Station Man
Sentimental Lady
Hypnotized
Did You Ever Love Me (with Christine)
Need Your Love So Bad (would they still play this cover?)
Like it This Way

I've got a feeling they'll try Oh Well, Black Magic Woman and Green Manalishi. Maybe they could use co-singers. I can envisage Neil singing Oh Well with Stevie.
I would be fine with most of these, though I don't think I've heard Like It This Way. In particular, I would love Sentimental Lady, Hypnotized, Man of the World, and Did You Ever Love Me. Black Magic Woman is a good idea, it's well-known and Mike Campbell would kill it.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

Leaving aside what is politically or morally correct, I think that Neil could do a marvellous version of 'I'm So Afraid'. However, I think it's incredibly unlikely that he would actually do so.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:45 PM
Junior Ledgie

I think he would sound spectacular on any Welch tunes. If they are going to dig in to the history (Nicks said Rattlesnake Shake, Station Man, Oh Well, in the Rolling Stone story), the least they can do is try something like Sentimental Lady, Bermuda Triangle, or any of the killer Bob-era. How fun would that be in the mix...
Old 04-25-2018, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can more easily hear Stevie doing a Bob Welch song (especially Hypnotized) than Neil.

Neil is eerily close to Danny Kirwan, IMO. The song that would destroy, although is too obscure by Fleetwood Mac standards, is “Something Inside of Me.” Neil and Mike would tear the bejeuss out of that one.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Neil's been writing a lot of ballads lately, so he would be comfortable on the slower stuff. But his biggest hits (with Crowded House) have been on the pop side, so I think he'd sound the best on Christine's songs, like "Don't Stop" and "Hold Me."
Old 05-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He's a great harmony singer.
But I wouldn't expect much pre-1975 songs other than Oh Well.
Station Man would be fantastic, but not holding out hopes for that.

I hope they don't do Go Your Own Way -- or any other Buckingham songs aside from World Turning and Don't Stop.