The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to say I am very impressed. I bought the HD files and they sound amazing. The outages are actually outages. Some really different takes on the songs. Is Lindsey a genius or what? To think Stevie gets annoyed at all his "5 thousand overdubs" studio tinkering. The man creates art. I'm feeling a Tha's all for Everyone vibe in the Only over you outage. Book of Love is really cool. The only one I didn't like at all was Thats all right. Good stuff overall!
Old 09-24-2016, 01:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac: Mirage (Expanded Reissue)
Written By Hal Horowitz // September 20, 2016

http://americansongwriter.com/2016/0...anded-reissue/

Fleetwood Mac
Mirage (Expanded Reissue)
(Warner Brothers/Rhino)
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Often considered the belated follow-up to 1977’s mega platinum Rumours, 1982’s Mirage was a clear retreat from the somewhat abrasive, occasionally commercial avant-pop of the controversial Tusk. While that album has, over the decades, come to be respected as Lindsey Buckingham’s creative zenith, it appears Warner Brothers was less enthusiastic about their star act’s detour into the artsy abyss. Perhaps Mac were tired of it themselves, because the slick, glossily produced Mirage seems a capitulation to an audience who might have found the dense, inconsistent, but bold Tusk a musical and drug-fueled bridge too far.

While Mirage was no Rumours, its dozen sophisticated pop songs include such near-classics as “Love in Store,” “Gypsy,” and “Hold Me,” the latter two appearing on most subsequent Mac hits packages. But there are other, often unappreciated gems here too. Selections such as Buckingham’s folksy “Can’t Go Back,” Stevie Nicks’ surprisingly effective foray into country “That’s Alright,” the frisky pop/rock and sumptuous harmonies of “The Eyes of the World” and the closing “Wish You Were Here,” one of the always dependable Christine McVie’s more affecting and least appreciated pieces, are well worth reexamining.

It’s not a great album but it’s a good one, especially for Mac’s avid pop fans, and ripe for rediscovery on this newly remastered and expanded edition. A second disc with 20 previously unreleased rarities includes early, stripped down demos, alternate arrangements and outtakes of nearly every tune, plus some that didn’t make the final cut, and is well worth the price of admission. The no-frills versions are a welcome contrast to the finished product’s often over-produced slickness, and such oddities as a four minute in-studio jam on drummer Sandy Nelson’s 1959 instrumental “Teen Beat” with Buckingham at his most frazzled and unhinged is a major find.

But the real excitement is relegated to the pricey “deluxe” package that includes not only a 5.1 surround audio-only DVD of the album and a remastered vinyl reproduction, but a live show from the ‘82 Mirage tour. This 74-minute concert catches the band on a particularly inspired and improvisation filled night in LA as Mirage was ensconced atop the Billboard charts. It kicks off with a propulsive seven-minute “The Chain” that smokes the studio take into oblivion and features extended performances of two Tusk tracks with a nearly 10-minute “Not That Funny” along with another 8 minutes of “Sisters of the Moon,” closing with an unplugged emotional “Songbird” all in front of a clearly engaged audience.

Whether that’s worth dropping nearly $90 is up to you, but this is an invigorating presentation. It captures these five musicians (before they added an unnecessary backline to bolster the live sound) bouncing energy off each other and feeding from the crowd with exhilarating results.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just bought the 2 CD package- sorry, but no way in hell was I gonna pay $90 for an album I didn't want, along with an audio concert of a video I already own. Rip off! Now if it had included the entire concert, then I would have buckled and bought it, like I did with the Deluxe Tusk.

Nothing against those folks who did pay for the Deluxe Mirage... I just wish the label had offered more material for the price they're asking.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default STRAIGHT BACK is amazing on 5.1

The highlight of the 5.1 mix is "Straight Back." It's an entirely different and amazing song. New parts, new vocals, etc! I urge all of you to play this song on your DVD player. While it wont be in 5.1, you'll still hear all the new, amazing parts!!
Old 09-24-2016, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I prefer the alternate version of Book of Love to the final version.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Listening to the second disc right now and am currently at Gypsy. I've got goosebumps from every song so far.

EDIT: Holy Hell! This version of Empire State is epic! Sounds like it's straight from Tusk with a little bit of the Go Insane album thrown in.

Last edited by Street_Dreamer; 09-24-2016 at 02:09 PM..
Old 09-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just listened to Smile at You from the new album for the first time as a thunderstorm swept over Austin...perfect timing. I liked hearing this version, but would have preferred the "Angry" version. At least it's better than the SYW track. Oh well....
Old 09-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Junior Ledgie

Just notified by Amazon I'm getting $10.51 refund for pre-ordering. Sweet.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Not that funny [L]

Strange, that from the live version of Not that funny nearly two minutes were deleted; Mick's drum solo (which starts at app. 7:00) has been edited out.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
just downloaded it ... playing That's Alright outtake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

I wish she'd made a country record
when she had the voice
ALL OF THIS!!!!.
I could listen to this outtake until my dying day.
and i might.

Stevie's Mirage songs are my fave of all her FM songs except SYW.
I'm only 1/3 of the way through the remastered album versions
but everything so far is delicious.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:50 AM
Ledgie

Thumbs up

A few thoughts (delux set not arrived yet, so these are based on itunes version)
1. Mirage was my first Fleetwood Mac album, so this was always going to be a bit special. Indeed, I always thought that the production/sound was always top class, even on the original release. In comparison I always think Tusk and Tango 'over produced'.

2. Alternates are wonderful, especially 'Love in Store', 'Hold Me' and 'Gypsy'(long version). But at the end of the day, it's the finished album that is the main deal for me - not sure how often I'll be listening to these tracks in years to come.

3. As I write I'm listening to L.A. Forum disc. What can I say? One of the best versions of 'The Chain' EVER. Would love to have full show released on CD. Can't say I'm too bothered by non release of DVD of this show: full show in audio will do nicely thanks.

All in all - Remastered Mirage was a long time coming and something I didn't think we would ever see, so for that I'm grateful.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:16 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deribish View Post
The highlight of the 5.1 mix is "Straight Back." It's an entirely different and amazing song. New parts, new vocals, etc! I urge all of you to play this song on your DVD player. While it wont be in 5.1, you'll still hear all the new, amazing parts!!
Does the ending of "Gypsy" on the DVD-Audio sound weird to anyone? Could it be my speakers or system?

At one point it I hear several Stevies and Lindseys singing "I still see your.." but NOT at the same time. Less than a second off for each. Was this intended?!
Old 09-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I just bought the 2 CD package- sorry, but no way in hell was I gonna pay $90 for an album I didn't want, along with an audio concert of a video I already own. Rip off! Now if it had included the entire concert, then I would have buckled and bought it, like I did with the Deluxe Tusk.

Nothing against those folks who did pay for the Deluxe Mirage... I just wish the label had offered more material for the price they're asking.
In case you do want to buy it, I got it for under $50 from the Amazon UK site.

Kevin
Old 09-25-2016, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
In case you do want to buy it, I got it for under $50 from the Amazon UK site.

Kevin

Kevin,
Has your set been dispatched yet?
Old 09-25-2016, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
That early version of Empire State is bringing me much joy.
It's so many shades of awesome. I love the grittier vocal and the guitars chugging along like a freight train. Lindsey should have saved it for a solo record, but it's nice to hear Empire State in this deliciously raw form.