Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Default found this on some guy's blog....

thought I'd share....(although chunks of it are incorrect!)
-Lis

Tuesday, April 26, 2005
The C-word...
C for chemistry....
Now thats a word which evokes a mixed feelings. Different people interpret it differently...I have re-analyzed and re-interpreted the deeper meaning a gazillion times - with a little help from a few friends ofcourse. A harmless statement made at Bangalore Cantonment Railway Station three years ago still rings in my head, and stands out for the subsequent discussions on the topic. I guess everyone changes their views with time and circumstances - it's all part of the learning curve!
As usual, something which happened in the past 24-48h inspired me to think up this post. I am a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac, and happened to listen to their song "Peacekeeper" (from the "Say you will" album) yesterday evening.
If you see the video (it's available on Yahoo! Launch, under the Fleetwood Mac section), it is pretty tough not to notice the way Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks play the song - furtive glances, a bit flirty, and full of josh. It was something amazing, especially since the same combination had another brilliant performance together, playing Silver Springs (from "The Dance" album).
It was but natural to assume that Lindsey and Stevie were husband and wife, lawfully wedded etc etc; considering the fact that I knew Christine McVie and John McVie were (probably) wifey-hubby. But then as they say, truth is stranger than fiction. This was one case where the band has pretty much stuck together (ofcourse with a few comebacks), despite all the clashes and issues they have had amongst themselves.
Lindsey and Stevie started out in some band, and ultimately wound up becoming part of Mac with Mick Fleetwood. They were married, but later on things apparently turned a little temepestuous thanks to Ms. Nicks, who shacked up with good ol' Mick...in addition to some other not-so-well known dudes! Needless to say, it caused a lot of problems, and led to the band ultimately breaking up.
Stevie apparently felt the best way she could communicate was via songs, and two of FM's superhits, Landslide and Silver Springs were written by Stevie for Lindsey. They still believe that things work that way!
The cold war continued for almost a decade starting 1987 (after the "Tango in the night" album), and things got back on track in 1997 with "The Dance". It sure must have a taken a lot for them to leave their baggage behind and perform on the same stage!
And what a scintillating show they put up! You just have to see the video of "Silver Springs" (again on Yahoo! Launch) to realize what amazing chemistry they still share. The mutual respect and fondness shine through in their performances even today...which is amazing...
I dont think I have seen another band share this much chemistry, be it ABBA or any other husband-wife/bf-gf combo. On second thoughts however, Bruce Springsteen and Patti Scialfa do evoke the same chemistry to a lesser extent when they play together on the E-Street Band, and anyway they are happily married. As someone said, it's a the old and new chemistry in Fleetwood Mac which makes such a huge impact when they play.
So that's that....