The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think they're definitely doing 'Oh Well' and 'The Chain'.

At first I couldn't see Neil doing Peter Green. But he's had some surprising covers in his catalogue he's done quite well. 'Billie Jean' (yes - really, and made it sound like one of his own songs), Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Jimmy Cliff, Bob Marley. He's done a lot of classic black genre music, and there may be a lot of that influence in NZ, with their very musical Maori population.

If you go back to the Split Enz period, there's a dark, neurotic, borderline 'paranoid' tone to the work, over the tuneful pop melody. Not unlike FM at times.

At times they also went into New Wave, close to punk feel, as FM tried experimenting with on Tusk. Very left of centre.

I still don't know how this will go. Neil doesn't look like an obvious frontman. He's understated, doesn't try to steal the show with theatrics, but he can be surprisingly moving.

They just have to try and do a few things together and see how it works. Just saying he may have a wider range than many may suppose.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
He's a great harmony singer.
But I wouldn't expect much pre-1975 songs other than Oh Well.
Station Man would be fantastic, but not holding out hopes for that.

I hope they don't do Go Your Own Way -- or any other Buckingham songs aside from World Turning and Don't Stop.
I think they are going to do any song they want. I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a decent amount of pre '75 stuff. They're talking about these songs and this era in interviews, that means they're going to do something with it. As I've said, this is is not gonna be the same show we've been getting.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

Many people probably know Neil Finn best for 'Don't Dream It's Over' which is a great song, but he's done far more than that, and various music styles.

Mebbe I shouldn't start it again but I wonder if the senior members wish to recognize the band's earlier history in their final tours, or go back to basics a bit, and LB wasn't so keen on it, while Stevie was more agreeable. I think a part of this may be why he's gone, and it's a shame but he can be stubborn. I'm sure there are more reasons than stated in their interview, though they gave hints.

I'm mainly a fan of Buckingham/Nicks era, but I can understand why they may wish to go back to some of the earlier period.

OT and for another thread. But getting back to what they might do - may be interesting how this set list shapes up. I believe Neil is a committed musician and he will give it his best.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
Many people probably know Neil Finn best for 'Don't Dream It's Over' which is a great song, but he's done far more than that, and various music styles.

Mebbe I shouldn't start it again but I wonder if the senior members wish to recognize the band's earlier history in their final tours, or go back to basics a bit, and LB wasn't so keen on it, while Stevie was more agreeable. I think a part of this may be why he's gone, and it's a shame but he can be stubborn. I'm sure there are more reasons than stated in their interview, though they gave hints.

I'm mainly a fan of Buckingham/Nicks era, but I can understand why they may wish to go back to some of the earlier period.

OT and for another thread. But getting back to what they might do - may be interesting how this set list shapes up. I believe Neil is a committed musician and he will give it his best.
I don't want to speculate on Lindsey's opinion, but I can definitely see Stevie being open to doing other things. She genuinely seemed to enjoy "dipping into her trunk of forgotten songs" on her 24K Gold tour (my biggest sadness regarding her tour stops not being near me was missing the chance to see Wild Heart and Bella Donna live), and given that the tour was extended and did good business, I could see her being eager to do some different songs (including pre-B/N era). I imagine performers get tired of doing the same songs all the time...and while the hits are expected, why not throw in some lesser known songs to entertain themselves and the more die-hard fans?

Agree with Oh Well being a definite; though someone in some thread suggested maybe Neil *and* Stevie sing it...I think that could be interesting. Would like to hear Station Man too. I think there's a good chance at Black Magic Woman...and I'll hold out hope for Why until someone sees a setlist and it's not on it.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLiz2 View Post
I don't want to speculate on Lindsey's opinion, but I can definitely see Stevie being open to doing other things. She genuinely seemed to enjoy "dipping into her trunk of forgotten songs" on her 24K Gold tour (my biggest sadness regarding her tour stops not being near me was missing the chance to see Wild Heart and Bella Donna live), and given that the tour was extended and did good business, I could see her being eager to do some different songs (including pre-B/N era). I imagine performers get tired of doing the same songs all the time...and while the hits are expected, why not throw in some lesser known songs to entertain themselves and the more die-hard fans?

Agree with Oh Well being a definite; though someone in some thread suggested maybe Neil *and* Stevie sing it...I think that could be interesting. Would like to hear Station Man too. I think there's a good chance at Black Magic Woman...and I'll hold out hope for Why until someone sees a setlist and it's not on it.
Yes, she likes to vary things. Some interesting opportunities here if approached right way. Many of the younger generation of Mac fans post 'The Dance' are most aware of Buckingham/Nicks era (as I was with ignorance for a long time of what went before) but this could be a good way to bring some awareness to them. Even if not totally what they expect.

I just hope it's sincere in inspiration and well developed, not just 'OMG LB's no longer here, what do we do???' Lol. They have to see and build on what works in practice. But I think Black Magic Woman is a must, fingers crossed...

Last edited by Missy; 05-03-2018 at 05:34 AM..
Old 05-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

An article I found with some more background about Neil, his music making philosophy, and previous experiences collaborating with others (which he's done a lot of). Thought some here may find it of interest, in terms of what possibly to expect! But quite often with Neil, there are surprises.

Over 40 years, he's been through many different band setups and styles, because it seems he likes continuing to follow new directions. He's also known for doing many different 'reinterpretations' of his own songs. A few years ago he did a tour with another noted singer-songwriter in this part of the world - Paul Kelly. The article describes it as 'another opportunity for Finn to explore new territory, not just by working with Kelly, but in reinterpreting their own and each other's songs', with Neil saying "I've learned over the years touring that you can discover a song many times over."

If you're not a frequent visitor to the site, you shouldn't get subscription prompt message...

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nei...78a64525f9c519
Old 05-28-2018, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are some other old songs that would fit Neil very well:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/luNSvdWf-c8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ttliVM44Ilc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q9vMqep1lC0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DnQM535xV-U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yEQ07_22YA0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B9cNu2ZMaBg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-28-2018, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Neil would also sound fantastic singing this great Tim Hardin cover that Jeremy Spencer sang during the Peter Green years ...

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5eDI6rfarNk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-28-2018, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And the brilliant Danny Kirwan songs "Sands of Time" or "Woman of 1000 Years".

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1Jkp34jMeEw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o0zGGQLb0Z4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Neil would also sound fantastic singing this great Tim Hardin cover that Jeremy Spencer sang during the Peter Green years ...

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5eDI6rfarNk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I doubt they'd dig that deep though - only the covers that really became key to the repertoire if at all like Moneymaker or Blue Letter.