Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Family Man

I'm not sure who this guy is, maybe he's a Ledgie? But I found his critique of "Family Man," and great artists in general, to be spot on.

Fleetwood Mac Friday #9: “Family Man”
By Nate Waggoner, May 22, 2015

Today I’m going to write about what is unequivocally the worst Fleetwood Mac song, “Family Man.” The song’s unparalleled terrible songwriting quality defies explanation, and that’s why it fascinates me.

Let’s take a listen to it first. It begins with cloying, pseudo-Caribbean percussion, that hallmark of white bands who have run out of good ideas. The first verse goes like this, “Walk down this road/ When the road gets rough/ I fall down/ I get up.” Deep stuff. The chorus is both unremarkable and the only memorable part. “I am what I am,” Lindsey sings in an atonal, sneaky cartoon cat voice, “A family man.”

Lindsey bucks the usual tradition of songs in which the speaker identifies himself as something (“I am the very model of a modern major general”) by refusing to offer any specific details as to what makes him a family man. He opts instead to just sing the words, “Mother, father, brother.” Yep, Lindsey, those are some of the main family members you can have.

What makes great artists falter? I think, as a general rule, the less a person hears the word “no,” the more that person sucks. In art, there are a million examples. George Lucas is an obvious example. Joyce Carol Oates is a brilliant writer, who I saw read and answer questions just two years ago at City Lights and she’s very sharp and funny still, but her Twitter feed reveals a compulsion to share sophomoric, embarrassing thoughts that border on “Why is there no white history month” level. You just know no one has questioned her decision-making in person since 1966. I get the sense the Coen Brothers still hear “no” pretty often, not just because of their bleak portrayals of artistic frustration, but because of the consistent variety, experimentation, and thoughtfulness in their films.

So that’s my theory—Tango in the Night came five years after the triumphant Mirage, and its subsequent, glorious tour. “Family Man” follows the great “Little Lies” on the album. It stands as a reminder not to let yourself slip in the wake of success.

http://the-tusk.com/2015/05/22/fleet...-9-family-man/
Old 05-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
I'm not sure who this guy is, maybe he's a Ledgie? But I found his critique of "Family Man," and great artists in general, to be spot on.

Fleetwood Mac Friday #9: “Family Man”
By Nate Waggoner, May 22, 2015

Today I’m going to write about what is unequivocally the worst Fleetwood Mac song, “Family Man.” The song’s unparalleled terrible songwriting quality defies explanation, and that’s why it fascinates me.

Let’s take a listen to it first. It begins with cloying, pseudo-Caribbean percussion, that hallmark of white bands who have run out of good ideas. The first verse goes like this, “Walk down this road/ When the road gets rough/ I fall down/ I get up.” Deep stuff. The chorus is both unremarkable and the only memorable part. “I am what I am,” Lindsey sings in an atonal, sneaky cartoon cat voice, “A family man.”

Lindsey bucks the usual tradition of songs in which the speaker identifies himself as something (“I am the very model of a modern major general”) by refusing to offer any specific details as to what makes him a family man. He opts instead to just sing the words, “Mother, father, brother.” Yep, Lindsey, those are some of the main family members you can have.

What makes great artists falter? I think, as a general rule, the less a person hears the word “no,” the more that person sucks. In art, there are a million examples. George Lucas is an obvious example. Joyce Carol Oates is a brilliant writer, who I saw read and answer questions just two years ago at City Lights and she’s very sharp and funny still, but her Twitter feed reveals a compulsion to share sophomoric, embarrassing thoughts that border on “Why is there no white history month” level. You just know no one has questioned her decision-making in person since 1966. I get the sense the Coen Brothers still hear “no” pretty often, not just because of their bleak portrayals of artistic frustration, but because of the consistent variety, experimentation, and thoughtfulness in their films.

So that’s my theory—Tango in the Night came five years after the triumphant Mirage, and its subsequent, glorious tour. “Family Man” follows the great “Little Lies” on the album. It stands as a reminder not to let yourself slip in the wake of success.

http://the-tusk.com/2015/05/22/fleet...-9-family-man/
This is a fun read.

Personally, I don't think "Family Man" is the worst Mac song. It is, however, one of the most forgettable, which probably makes it worse than the worst.

I do like the flamenco guitar work on it.

Either of Stevie's "side 2" (remember sides?) is worse, imo, than "Family Man," but at least those songs are bad in such a way that makes them stick out. They are the "Road Runner" of Tango, whereas "Family Man" is more like Bare Trees' "The Ghost". A throwaway with some nice moments of instrumentation.

On a somewhat-side note: I never understood why the band didn't try to record "Planets of the Universe" on Tango. Tonally and sonically it would have been a great fit on the record--and it's three billion times superior to anything Nicks wrote for the record.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
On a somewhat-side note: I never understood why the band didn't try to record "Planets of the Universe" on Tango. Tonally and sonically it would have been a great fit on the record--and it's three billion times superior to anything Nicks wrote for the record.
My guess is that Lindsey was pretty fed up with Stevie at this point and wasn't in the mood to produce her ultimate FY song about him.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sugar Daddy, Oh Daddy, That's Enough For Me, Empire State, When I See You Again, Stand On The Rock, Blow By Blow, Silver Girl.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Let’s take a listen to it first. It begins with cloying, pseudo-Caribbean percussion, that hallmark of white bands who have run out of good ideas. The first verse goes like this, “Walk down this road/ When the road gets rough/ I fall down/ I get up.” Deep stuff.
Love this guy!

Family Man is just so weird.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 05-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Love this guy!

Family Man is just so weird.
But 'The worst Fleetwood Mac song ever'?
With all incarnations considered it doesn't even make bottom 10.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Its a quirky song for sure but has some amazing guitar work. Lindsey's lyrics are never known for being deep, cryptic, or poetic. Remember that Tango started out as a Lindsey solo project and the Mac sort of tagged along
Old 05-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Sugar Daddy, Oh Daddy, That's Enough For Me, Empire State, When I See You Again, Stand On The Rock, Blow By Blow, Silver Girl.
The first two songs on that list are amazing. Amazing. And I love to play them on the keys any chance I get.

Blow by Blow--well, yeah, it blows.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I had not played the song in quite awhile but took a listen. It was one of my least favorites on Tango but it holds up pretty well. Great guitar work. I love the Stevie layer they add at the end LOL. Love to hear Lindsey heat up an acoustic guitar.
The lyrics are not the best but the music is incredible!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGM0qGzbmF4
Old 05-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Inexplicitly, this song was even released as a single.

It even got the deluxe treatment. It came boxed with two art prints, which visually had nothing to do with the song.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Worst ever? I wouldn't go that far.

I would have to say that I actually like Family Man. And by like I mean that it's not a very good song, but it's so odd that I can't help listening to it.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default what's that saying?

someone's trash = someone's treasure. I dig "Family Man".

I moved to DC in 1988 and the radio here were playing it like..

"..am what I am.. am what I am..." worst song by Fleetwood Mac to some, but not to this guy... not even close.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The first two songs on that list are amazing. Amazing. And I love to play them on the keys any chance I get.

Blow by Blow--well, yeah, it blows.
I went off on a bit of a tangent there- I don't love or hate those songs- they are just my least favorite from the albums. In fact I thought it was really nice that Oh Daddy found itself in the top ten of that recent 'Fleetwood Mac's 14 greatest songs' list.

I'd argue a case for Make Me a Mask, Teen Beat, Lizard People, These Strange Times, Blow By Blow
Old 05-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
Inexplicitly, this song was even released as a single.

It even got the deluxe treatment. It came boxed with two art prints, which visually had nothing to do with the song.

Two questions: First, could someone post these art prints for us to see? I bought the cassette single, but it didn't come with special art. Second, as bad as Family Man is, I can't think of what other Tango song would have made a better fifth single -- except for maybe Isn't It Midnight (which I know was in fact a single in some countries). I love Mystified and the title track, for example, but neither of them would have stood a chance at radio. Maaaaybe You And I Part 2?
Old 05-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Two questions: First, could someone post these art prints for us to see? I bought the cassette single, but it didn't come with special art. Second, as bad as Family Man is, I can't think of what other Tango song would have made a better fifth single -- except for maybe Isn't It Midnight (which I know was in fact a single in some countries). I love Mystified and the title track, for example, but neither of them would have stood a chance at radio. Maaaaybe You And I Part 2?
I think Isn't it Midnight could have been interchangeable with Little Lies, as far as single-material is concerned. That song, to me, is tied with Seven Wonders to be my favourite song on the album, and for it to be considered a "deep track" is a sin, in my opinion. Family Man isn't the worst song ever, but definitely highlights Lindsey's eternal struggle to keep things new and exciting, trying to draw influences from alternative influences. However, his horrible use of the English language leaves so little to the imagination, it's not hard to see why this would be considered the worst song, despite the interesting instrumentation.