Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-20-2002, 11:36 AM
joe

Default Berkeley, CA 1977 photo

i saw this on ebay...my question is....what song do you think it is? I'm only asking cause check out Lindsey's guitar....my guess is Gold Dust Woman...????

here is the ebay description:

Here is a rare 5x7 black and white photograph of Fleetwood Mac. It was taken in late 1977 at the Berkeley Community Theater in Berzerkeley, CA. This amazing photo was taken by Gary Morgan, one of California's best Concert/Music photographer's.

David...if you're out there you might know...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fleetwood mac - berkeley - 1977.jpg (22.2 KB, 218 views)
Old 12-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am no expert at all, but that looks like a sitar, or is it spelled citar, you know, the indian instrument?

I have seen another pic of Linds sitting on the floor with one.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:33 PM
joe

yeah...i know....i've seen a few pics of him with that but none with him on stage performing. it's also a double neck guitar if you look closely. i've never seen anything like it. it must be sitar on top and guitar on bottom. it's odd. it's a guisitar! i love weird instruments.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not a sitar.

It's a double neck acoustic guitar with a twelve string on top and a regular six string below.

It looks like an illusion that there are tuners down the neck. Must be something behind Lindsey and the guitar. If it is the guitar it is REALLY odd. Sitars have very large bodies on them and I wouldn't want to play one standing up!

As Lindsey is playing the six string it's gotta be something acoustic with Stevie singing. Landslide maybe? I Don't Wanna Know?

Last edited by madformac; 12-20-2002 at 02:22 PM..
Old 12-20-2002, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In all the times I've seen them (45x's to date), the only time Lindsey ever played his double-neck (a Gibson EDS-1275...like pictured below) was on "Oh Daddy" during the Rumours tour.

Last edited by chiliD; 12-20-2002 at 02:34 PM..
Old 12-20-2002, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Chili,

That will be it then, the tulip tuner buttons and headstock shape give it away as a Gibson. As we can't see the body I think you are spot on.

So then,

Oh Daddy played on a Gibson EDS 1275 at Berkeley Community Theater 1977. Sounds good to me.

Old 12-20-2002, 02:36 PM
joe

now that i think about it, it could be the shadow of the neck's reflection on the drums....also, it can't be "oh daddy" with stevie at the mike that way. unless one night she decided to do some vocals. But look at Mick at the drums....looks kind of intense. Can't be Landslide. I really think it's "Gold Dust Woman".
Old 12-20-2002, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If I recall, Stevie did backgrounds toward the end of the song...and, it did get quite intense at the end. See how Lindsey is facing Mick at the drum riser, his "standard operating procedure" for cueing the end of a song...and, since during that tour, they would follow "Oh Daddy" with the mini-acoustic set of "Never Going Back Again" & "Landslide", I stand by my "if Lindsey's playing a double-neck, it's 'Oh Daddy'" statement.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:42 PM
joe

i don't know about that...i've got a lot of versions from the Rumours tour and they all sound kind of mellow to me...on the album the ending is " yes, it's got to be me..." and it repeats a few times with both Stevie and Lindsey singing their respective harmonies. But, both are absent in every live version i've heard. Also, the pic depicts it as late in the Rumours tour but i think it may be early in the tour and they started of doing "Oh Daddy" and "GDW" back to back which would explain Lindsey playing that instrument on BOTH songs. I don't know. I could be completely wrong. It's not that important.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great job, guys, on identifying the guitar!

Copies of this pic have been sold on eBay for the past two years. I remember e-mailing the seller about two years ago in order to question his "late 1977" date --- Fleetwood Mac played the Berkeley Community Theatre on Feb. 28, 1977, a benefit for the Jacques Cousteau Society.

It is a little odd to see Nicks grasping the mic in that way for "Oh Daddy," but when you look closely at her, do you see anything to indicate that her figure has been superimposed on an existing shot? Mick's kick drum is facing directly toward the camera, which makes Stevie's mic position very odd; she is usually to the left of where she appears to be. Maybe she's at Lindsey's mic. But along her right side, there's a funny-looking delineation between her dress & Lindsey's white shirt behind it, as if she had been PhotoShop'd in.

Incidentally, I never heard back from the seller with my e-mail inquiry.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My thoughts re: that guitar

Quote:
Originally posted by madformac
...It looks like an illusion that there are tuners down the neck. Must be something behind Lindsey and the guitar. If it is the guitar it is REALLY odd. Sitars have very large bodies on them and I wouldn't want to play one standing up!...
and

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
...In all the times I've seen them (45x's to date), the only time Lindsey ever played his double-neck (a Gibson EDS-1275...like pictured below) was on "Oh Daddy" during the Rumours tour...
Hmm...Madformac, I don't think that's an illusion. That "extra tuner set" that you suggested "could be an illusion", is too uniform and completely parallel to the neck and the "tuners" are perfectly perpendicular to it....can't be an illusion. I think he has some sort of device attached to that EDS-1275.

Now why would he need such a device? ChiliD says that of all the 45+ times he's seen them in action, LB has only ever played that guitar on "Oh Daddy". And now I am 10000000% that it must be "Oh Daddy". ChiliD, do you happen to remember how LB played those harmonics at the beginning of "Oh Daddy" when you saw it live?
Reason being, whenever I heard those early versions of the song I always wondered how on earth he was playing those amazing fast series of harmonics (those "bell sounds" for those of you who are not familiar with the term) at the beginning of the song and in the solo in the middle. I assumed that he must have had a strange guitar set up (obviously going through some extensive/possibly reverse delay effect) to achieve that sound, but I couldn't figure out how he could switch between that sound and the "normal sound" guitar for the verse and chorus chords - for some reason the thought of a double neck guitar never crossed my mind (I thought perhaps Ray Lindsey might have been helping out like in "Go Your Own Way"). Thanks for the photo Joe!
In summary, here's what I think: that song IS definitely Oh Daddy. The guitar is a double neck, a Gibson EDS-1275 (according to chiliD). The 6 string section of it is used to play the chords for the song. The 12 string section has some sort of device attached to it that could resemble the action of a "third hand capo" (one which allows you to hold down whichever string(s) you want on a particular fret) but may also in this case act across frets aswell, in order to tune the harmonics of the guitar to where LB wanted them to be for that intro and solo/fills. Not sure what that "device" could be but I am certain that it is what allows him to play those parts.

Last edited by seteca; 12-20-2002 at 04:39 PM..
Old 12-20-2002, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The 12-string neck was capo'd about the 7th or 8th fret...and probably not in standard tuning...Lindsey'd bounce around the fretboard to get those harmonics...he didn't just go across the strings at a single fret. He also used a volume pedal to get those "swell" sounds (like at the beginning of the studio version of "Silver Springs", that he also used on the studio version of "Oh Daddy")

The "tuners down the neck" are the shadow of the neck (created by the spotlight) on Mick's left tom-tom. The angle of the light and the camera angle is just a coincidence to get the effect of a plethora of tuning pegs along the neck. Also, due to the angles of the light source & camera angle, the "shadow" tuning pegs look like they're closer together than they actually are on the guitar.

Last edited by chiliD; 12-20-2002 at 04:51 PM..
Old 12-20-2002, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool, thanks chiliD. I'm glad my personal mystery of "how the hell do I/did he get that sound??" has been solved. It had been bugging me for soooo long...kinda weird the way it just eventually got solved by this thread....a case of "if you stand by the riverbank long enough....".

As for the "tuners down the neck", I never bothered trying to replicate those harmonics in the same key as the song so I didn't bother figuring out whether or not it could be achieved by a standard capo (on the 7th or 8th as you say), therefore I assumed that those "tuners down the neck" were his equivalent of a third-hand capo (or something like that!). I still think that those "tuners" look damn real and attached to the neck, but I'm obviously not going to start arguing with someone who was actually there!

Madformac...my apologies...!.....an illusion, it seems, they are.

Old 12-20-2002, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure if it's still in print (David? Need your help here!), but there's the music book, "Rumours, the scores" or something like that...the entire album, instrument by instrument scored exactly as recorded. I never bothered to peruse through "Oh Daddy" to see how IT was played, but I learned "The Chain" & "Never Going Back Again" from that book.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yea I saw that book quite recently in Chappell Music on Bond Street. I never bought it because it's quite expensive at £25. It has the music for each instrument played per song, and I had a very long look at it ages ago when I was trying to figure out a bit of Never Going Back Again. I never bothered looking at Oh Daddy either though. I'll be back there on Monday! Maybe this time with £25 in my pocket, as the festive season has proved to be financially good to me so far!

Last edited by seteca; 12-20-2002 at 06:44 PM..