The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-19-2002, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up "Steal Your Heart Away" - FIRST SINGLE!?

I know a lot of fans here would like to see something "Out of the ordinary" and "edgier" for the first single (Me too), but what do you think of SYHA as the first single?

It is a great song. I think it would do really well on VH1 and on radio stations across the world. It is one of my fav GOS songs too.

I know it has been around for a while, but only the "close" FM fans know about this song. Since it wasn't really officially released, I think this should be the first single from the songs I know of.

Just throw in some of Stevie's vocals and it is set.

What do you think?
Old 12-19-2002, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile I agree

Whether it is a single (first or otherwise) or not, I hope it's on the album and I hope they leave it just the way it is/was (or I'll just say "the way it is/was on the "Best buy tour '97" deal") with the exception of SN vocals added in of course.

John
Old 12-19-2002, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, the Best Buy version and the version leaked with the rest of the "Gift Of Screws" tunes are significantly different.

Not so much from an arrangement standpoint, but the two versions are mixed VERY differently. The Best Buy version has less guitar and more vocal layering, the Gift Of Screws version has more guitar riffs between verses and has sparcer background vocals.

"...not officially released...", that's debatable. I would think that the Best Buy disc would be considered an "official release".
Old 12-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, it was like a promo. Only people who went to The Dance got it. I like the the version that leaked with the GOS demos. The Best Buy version has a more played with vocals and less guitars. The percussion stands out more.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No! I really am against the idea of releasing a "slow", "classic" sounding track as the first single....As much as I love SYHA, it is guaranteed to get the "who are these old people??" (putting it politely there) reaction from people. I hope they release, as the FIRST single at least, something edgy and attention grabbing like Red Rover, Come, or Murrow.

Old 12-26-2002, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think Warner Bros. will most likely want to release a track that is instantly recognizable as being Fleetwood Mac.... but they may get a little more adventurous with the second single.

Either way, I get the feeling that, even though Mick said this new album is "edgy," etc., it's still not going to be too far afield of the main Mac sound.... so I don't think we can expect any singles as offbeat as "Tusk."

Johnny Stew
Old 12-26-2002, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I think Warner Bros. will most likely want to release a track that is instantly recognizable as being Fleetwood Mac....
The problem with that is...what percentage of the current pop radio listening audience is going to be able to recognise "the Fleetwood Mac signature sound"...??

The success of the first single from a new artist, or one that hasn't released material for a VERY long time, almost always plays a major role in determining (nowadays, at least) how well that arist's album and future singles will do.

Whether something like The Chain/GYOW/GDW were released, or Come or Red Rover were released, most people aren't going to be familiar with Fleetwood Mac anyway, so if this new album really is going to be a "new sound" for Fleetwood Mac (as Mick has now indicated in multiple statements...e.g. "I think we're going to surprise a lot of people"), then their first single should, IMHO, be one whose sound Fleetwood Mac will be happy for the new generation of listeners to associate their "new [fresh] sound" with.

Old 12-30-2002, 06:28 PM
Ledgie

I do think SYHAway should be the first single. It's been quite long since we the inconditional fans own this song, & the most agree it's one of the best Lindsey songs (& Fmac, by extension). So I wouldn't like to see Thrown Down as a first single, having such a brilliant & timeless song. I'm sure it would break the charts dosn't matter how the market is nowadays. But, well, we don't know about many other tracks, luckyly (looking forward to see this album released)

héctor
Old 12-30-2002, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Are "singles" even a viable thing anymore? Unless a partcular song starts getting significant airplay on an AOR station, enough that the song would THEN be released as a CD single, and subsequently "chart", I doubt there'll be a single released BEFORE the album is released. And, as much as I like 99% of the GOS tunes (and "Thrown Down"), I don't hear a real barn-burner of a single ...sure, as somebody mentioned, there are a few songs that sound like "vintage FMac" (SYHA, Twist Of Fate, Down On Rodeo to mention three), but that's not what's going to grab people's attention....unfortunately.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Are "singles" even a viable thing anymore?
Well, yes and no.
"Single" has sort of taken on a new meaning in the past decade. It's no longer a stand-alone tune, used to get kids into the record store to buy a 45.... they now exist almost solely to help get the word out that an artist has released a new album.
(Unless it's a young pop act, or something geared towards club play.)

It's VERY rare for a band like Fleetwood Mac to actually have a commercially available single now. Apparently the record companies feel that the "older audience" that these bands tend to attract (they must not check The Ledge!) won't bother to buy a single.
I doubt that really bothers them anyway, since it's the album that they want to sell.

There will be a "single" (probably two)... for lack of a better term... so that Warner Bros. has something to push on the radio, and on VH1... but unless they remix one of them into a dance track, then I doubt any of them will ever see the light of day as an entity seperate from the album.

I just hope they don't pull that old b.s. of releasing a different mix to radio programmers, but then not making it available to the fans.

Johnny Stew
Old 12-30-2002, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, there's also the fact that singles are also on cd's, and singles cost at the least a little less than half of the album. I found a Landslide single from The Dance in Circuit City the other day. Now, remember the single is 5 years old...I paid $8 for it. I think they have The Dance there for $12.99. However, I can remember being little and going to the store and buying 45's for much less than the whole album.

To add, the music industry has almost gone back to the 50's where that's what you did...you made singles, not whole albums. You wanted a #1 song, not a #1 album. During Fleetwood Mac's era, though, the album was the main focus, making a good album in which at least 90% of the songs were GOOD. Then, they'd just pick singles and throw them out. I mean, singles were very important then also, but rock bands like Fleetwood Mac were more interested in albums and still are. The music industry isn't too interested in albums anymore though.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default new album

I think the new Fleetwood Mac album will do well commercially, but as far as a single, I dont expect pop radio who are playing Destiny's Child, Missy Elliot, Eminem, Faith Hill, Shania, Matchbox 20 type acts to play Fleetwood Mac..

I kinda could see this single/video doing about the same as Bruce Springsteen's....it got favorable rotation on VH1, made it about halfway into the top 20 countdown, he did some shows and interviews, concerts, all that..even MTV plays his video in the early mornings.....

I cant see Fleetwood Mac really attracting too much of a "new audience"with this album, because they are kind of in that Rolling Stones stage now....great rock band, but they kinda will push them to the older folks...and the 30-40 yr olds WILL recognize Fleetwood Mac, because they KNOW ALREADY who they are....and I think it will be successful, but we arent going to have some kind of #1 single here, even the new songs by young artists who have good songs never get too far...

just my thoughts...

Chris
Old 12-31-2002, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Look at Peter Gabriel... I never heard his single from the new "Up" album on the radio or on TV. On the other hand you only need to watch MTV Germany or VIVA for about 2 hours for hearing Eminem`s 8 mile 4 times. Dito other examples, No angels and so on. No wonder that these things chart and others not. It's a question of being pushed by media and FM won't be. The Gabriel album here is a commercial failure compared to the past and to the pushed ones although it has the same quality than he had in recent years! That's the point- album and single success are not determined by quality! No. 1 hits or albums needn't to be good, they need to be trendy and promoted and pushed up. Sorry about that, but that 's the way it seems to be
Old 12-31-2002, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I expect that the label will release the album's first single about 6 weeks before the albums's release date. Then about 2/3 months after that go with a second single to round em up.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From what I've experienced is that CD singles seem to be a bigger deal in UK/Europe than in the US. Even "I Do" from the "Time" album was released as a single in UK/Europe only..."Silver Springs" & "Landslide" from "The Dance" were imports only, too, weren't they? I don't recall exactly, so I could be wrong.

In any case, I'm just looking forward to the album's release and already have a space in my CD rack for it.