Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Most Under apppreciated Album

What do you think is the most underated or overlooked album?
My pick has to be 1990'S Behind The Mask which I don't think got the credit it deserved. It isn't a 5 star album by far, but I think the album is full of gems (Skies The Limit, Save Me, The Second Time, Affiars of The Heart to name but a few).

Your Thoughts.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would have to say Tusk. It really bothers me that whenever anyone(who aren't die-hard fans like us) talks about FM all they think about or talk about is Rumours. Granted...Rumours is one of the greatest albums of all time and I absolutely adore it, but they have had many other great albums, especially Tusk. There are just so many special things on Tusk that I just can't believe don't get more credit. I really wish people would listen to it without trying to compare it to Rumours.

But remember...I do love Rumours and think it's their best, I just wish they would get more recognition for other wonderful albums and songs.

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 12-13-2002, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

mirage..... really... which critics ever mention it? ok so it had hold me and gypsy.... two big hits that are sometimes talked about... but really... wish you were here... oh diane.... love in store (one of my favs from that album) that's alright (yeah way country and doesn't fit very well on the album but still really cute and good) and a song almost everyone forgets... straight back... yeah so it takes a long time to warm up to... and to be honest i don't think the album version is as good as they could have done it- i have a copy of them rehearsing it for the mirage tour and it's soooo freaking good (btw if anyone wants a copy i'm more than happy to file transer) and we can't forget eyes of the world.... yeah i know that this album had a bit of commercial success... but nowadays people really really don't look back and remember mirage... they look back and remember rumours... sometimes the white album and sometimes people go "and you know, tusk seemed to be a flop but in hindsight it really was an amazing album" but very rarely do people go "oh and remember mirage in 1982? what a record!!" so there's my opinion.... yeah
Old 12-13-2002, 01:01 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think most of Fleetwood Mac's albums without the Rumours line-up are underrated and overlooked. Especially, Mystery To Me, Bare Trees, Behind The Mask & Heroes Are Hard To Find. Mystery To Me, especially is just about as good as any of the best Rumours era Fleetwood Mac albums.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think Fleetwood Mac's most underappreciated is probably Tusk. Sure among fan circles it's often a favorite, but it just continues to get bad press. I was really fuming recently when it made Rolling Stone's 100 worst albums last month. I mean... did these guys even listen to it? I think they're just continuing a lame old notion that since Tusk was a sales "disappointment," and slightly avant garde, that it was bad. Rolling Stone chosing Tusk was a cheap shot, IMO. It's my opinion that Tusk is Fleetwood Mac's creative pinnacle... and a true masterpiece.

Outside of Tusk I'd have to say Mystery To Me. What a fantastic album! Every song is worth it's weight in gold! ~Louie
Old 12-13-2002, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"TIME"!!!!

(and every album before Lindsey & Stevie joined and after Peter Green left)
Old 12-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Time and most of the Peter Green era albums.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Fan
most of the Peter Green era albums.

I agree with this whole-heartedly! Also, I agree with the fact that Tusk is underrated. The critics didn't like it, because they wanted another Rumours, which is insane! No two albums are alike, and if they are, they usually don't sell well. If they do sell well, the band is usually one of the "flash in the pan" kind of bands. A great band keeps trying to improve on their work and also make changes to keep it interesting while staying true to their underlying sound. If it is the same stuff over and over, how boring! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Tusk is truely unique and shows off the band's versatility while keeping true to the underlying Mac sound. I think it is terrific and very underrated!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin

Last edited by golddustwoman77; 12-13-2002 at 05:38 PM..
Old 12-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The critics didn't like it, because they wanted another Rumours, which is insane!

And, if they'd gotten another Rumours, they would've panned it for being exactly like Rumours.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
And, if they'd gotten another Rumours, they would've panned it for being exactly like Rumours.
I totally agree with you! Critics---who needs someone else's opinion? We only need our own opinion!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 12-13-2002, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Time, definitely. Not the mess that everyone thinks it is. Behind The Mask is very underrated, as are the pre-Lindsey and Stevie albums, but Time is a good record that got destroyed by everyone without deserving it.

Song of the moment - In The Back Of My Mind
Old 12-13-2002, 11:15 PM
thewhitewingedd
Old 12-14-2002, 04:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Cristian
Time, definitely. Not the mess that everyone thinks it is. Behind The Mask is very underrated, as are the pre-Lindsey and Stevie albums, but Time is a good record that got destroyed by everyone without deserving it.
I agree with you. I don't understand why so many people hate Time. I admit I only got Time to see why so many people hated it. I don't find anything wrong with it.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:17 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
I think most of Fleetwood Mac's albums without the Rumours line-up are underrated and overlooked. Especially, Mystery To Me, Bare Trees, Behind The Mask & Heroes Are Hard To Find. Mystery To Me, especially is just about as good as any of the best Rumours era Fleetwood Mac albums.
I agree with you so much particularly regarding the 1971-74 albums. For some reason, I've been listening to these back to back for the past month or so and love them a lot. I've never really listened to them all the way through. I think Chris's songs were so underappreciated back then.

It's hard to answer this question though. Are we talking underappreciated NOW or at the time of their release? I wouldn't be able to comment on most of the albums if it was the latter. I liked BTM when it came out and thought it was underappreciated definately. But now when i look back on it i'm not as fond of it as i was then. I guess because back then i was glad to have anything release by them and it was still 4/5 of the Rumours line up with some extra "help". I think the main thing missing was that Lindsey wasn't on it.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow My op...

I don't own Time or BTM so I can't comment on either...I've only heard some songs on BTM.

I think Mirage is given a bum rap, it may be the weakest FM album when you compare ALL the FM albums, but it's CERTAINLY not the worst album ever made! We all have our fave albums and songs, so it's all about preference.

Tusk is WAY underrated...as is pretty much every FM album besides Rumours.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: My op...

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
I don't own Time or BTM so I can't comment on either...I've only heard some songs on BTM.
You should get both of them. On Time you can hear Lucy Fleetwood(Mick's daughter)sing, she's pretty good.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:14 AM
thewhitewingedd