The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Oakland shines with double encore! - My review!

I just got back from my first ever FM concert, and hopefully not the last! I was blown away by a show whose energy, aura, and mystique took a little while to sink in, and when it did I was having the time of my life. I'll admit I'm a rather new FM fan (only in the past 5-6 years, and casually at best), but I love so many of their songs (and Stevie's solo work) that I had to see them live.

I thought that the show could have had greater opening energy -- then again, it could have just been the lack of enthusiasm in my particular section. No one was singing, dancing, or cheering (with the exception of a few songs), and it seemed like they were dragged out there. (Oh, I need to slap the folks sitting next to me twice -- one, for choosing their potty break during 'Storms,' and two, for commenting during 'Landslide,' "Isn't this a Dixie Chicks song?).

But all that aside, my two lovely FM posters will hang in pride, as this is probably the first show that has transported me, in my young 24 years, to the late 60s and 70s. I think it all began with Stevie introducing the history of 'Gypsy' (the highlight of my night), and I found myself in San Francisco during that golden age. On that note, the band gave lots of love to the Bay Area tonight: Stevie noted that there will never be music like the music that came out of San Francisco between 1965-1970, and later commenting that 'San Francisco knows how to rock!'; Lindsey discussed his years living in Palo Alto, and said he'd see us all here again real soon; and many of them noted that playing in the Bay Area feels like home.

So some other highlights:
-Rhiannon. This song has grown on me lately. With lighters in the air, I found myself really digging this song tonight. What a classic.
-Gold Dust Woman. Only proves Stevie is truly a queen.
-Storms. I LOVE this song. So haunting and beautiful.
-Don't Stop. Great way to end the show.
-Silver Springs. Was NOT expecting this. Is it just me, or is Oakland the first venue to get a double encore this tour? What, with reading the posts on here that this song had been absent, and with Don't Stop being the likely closer, I thought that this would not be my year to hear this song. Hell, I had my sweatshirt back on and ready to go, but figured I'd stick around, though I don't know why. But thankfully I did, and when they came back out I knew that this was my lucky night!

Other random thoughts:
-Stevie sounded great! There were some higher notes she didn't hit and went the low route, but no matter. She was wonderful.
-Lindsey: WOW can this guy play a guitar! He had the whole arena in his hands! Simply amazing -- totally worth the $25 parking fee!

Would love to hear other fans' thoughts, and if anyone could post the exact setlist and upload any songs from tonight, it would be much appreciated.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great review!! Happy you had an awesome time.
The band seems to be back on track and i heard Stevie whipped out the red boots for a few songs

very cool
Old 05-21-2009, 03:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, that certainly is a good sign that SS is back. Hopefulle the worst of the health issues are behind the band.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:45 AM
Junior Ledgie

Just got back myself and there is no doubt Stevie is back and looking great. Fleetwood Mac rocked it out tonight. I will say this after having been to more Fleetwood Mac/Stevie and Lindsey solo tours this is NOT the best I have seen, however it was GREAT!! I think Mirage and Dance tours were both better however this was better that SYW. I think Christine is sorely missed...she brings a cohesiveness to the 5 and a treasure of songs not performed (i.e. Little Lies, Brown Eyes, Isn't it Midnght, Songbird, Hold Me, etc). That being said...the concert was great!!

The opening was below standard...just a walk out and into Monday Morning...B-O-R-I-N-G. No suspense nothing to really satisfy the anticipation. Other than that they really kicked it into gear quickly with the Chain.

Stevie was high energy, no droopy or 1/2 closed eyes, no limp, she was moving freely and shined on GDW, Stand Back, Rhiannon, Storms, Sara and Gypsy. Lindsey gave 110% and continues to make Rolling Stone magazine look foolish for not naming him one of the top 100 guitarists. Interesting observations that I would welcome feedback on. Stevie got more pop from the fans than Lindsey (not by much but I made it a point to compare). Second observation: Stevie was on fire tonite full of energy and smiling. I wonder if she and even Lindsey get energized when they play the Bay Area and LA? I have noticed that they always give 110% when they play those areas. Thoughts?

Oh BTW here is the complete set list Silver Springs was re-added to the se
Monday Morning
The Chain
Dreams
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Gypsy
Go Insane
Rhiannon
Second Hand News
Tusk
Sara
Big Love
Landslide
Never Going Back Again
Storms
Say You Love Me
Gold Dust Woman
Oh Well
I'm So Afraid
Stand Back
Go Your Own Way
First Encore:
World Turning
Don't Stop
Second Encore:
Silver Springs

Okay, in closing I think Lindsey and Stevie did a great job on Say You Love Me however I miss Christine alot. I hope they do a farewell tour that brings her back. Props to Lindsey for doing Oh Well justice. Lindsey kicked butt on ISA and GYOW!! Mick's drum solo on World Turning was not spectacular but he makes it interesting with his energy and enthusiasm. John McVie IMO is the BEST bass player ever and he never fails to exceed expectations. Even John, who we all know is low key, seemed a little more energized tonight. I was very very happy with the energy of all 4 members of the band and the money spent was well worth it. For those who are not sure if they want to go see them...GO!!! Yes, GO YOUR OWN WAY but GO...they will not disappoint you.

"Chain keep us together"
Old 05-21-2009, 04:13 AM
Senior Ledgie

The reviews are great to hear. Thanks for posting!!!
So glad SS is not completly dropped and Stevie is feeling good!
Glad it was a great time. It had been my first Mac concert in March, so damn good that I am seeing them in June again.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseGarden View Post
The reviews are great to hear. Thanks for posting!!!
So glad SS is not completly dropped and Stevie is feeling good!
Glad it was a great time. It had been my first Mac concert in March, so damn good that I am seeing them in June again.

Funny how You can discern one fan from Another!!!

But I won't Tell ~...

Donnie Wayne ~
Old 05-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chain View Post
Just got back myself and there is no doubt Stevie is back and looking great. Fleetwood Mac rocked it out tonight. I will say this after having been to more Fleetwood Mac/Stevie and Lindsey solo tours this is NOT the best I have seen, however it was GREAT!! I think Mirage and Dance tours were both better however this was better that SYW. I think Christine is sorely missed...she brings a cohesiveness to the 5 and a treasure of songs not performed (i.e. Little Lies, Brown Eyes, Isn't it Midnght, Songbird, Hold Me, etc). That being said...the concert was great!!

The opening was below standard...just a walk out and into Monday Morning...B-O-R-I-N-G. No suspense nothing to really satisfy the anticipation. Other than that they really kicked it into gear quickly with the Chain.

Stevie was high energy, no droopy or 1/2 closed eyes, no limp, she was moving freely and shined on GDW, Stand Back, Rhiannon, Storms, Sara and Gypsy. Lindsey gave 110% and continues to make Rolling Stone magazine look foolish for not naming him one of the top 100 guitarists. Interesting observations that I would welcome feedback on. Stevie got more pop from the fans than Lindsey (not by much but I made it a point to compare). Second observation: Stevie was on fire tonite full of energy and smiling. I wonder if she and even Lindsey get energized when they play the Bay Area and LA? I have noticed that they always give 110% when they play those areas. Thoughts?

Oh BTW here is the complete set list Silver Springs was re-added to the se
Monday Morning
The Chain
Dreams
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Gypsy
Go Insane
Rhiannon
Second Hand News
Tusk
Sara
Big Love
Landslide
Never Going Back Again
Storms
Say You Love Me
Gold Dust Woman
Oh Well
I'm So Afraid
Stand Back
Go Your Own Way
First Encore:
World Turning
Don't Stop
Second Encore:
Silver Springs

Okay, in closing I think Lindsey and Stevie did a great job on Say You Love Me however I miss Christine alot. I hope they do a farewell tour that brings her back. Props to Lindsey for doing Oh Well justice. Lindsey kicked butt on ISA and GYOW!! Mick's drum solo on World Turning was not spectacular but he makes it interesting with his energy and enthusiasm. John McVie IMO is the BEST bass player ever and he never fails to exceed expectations. Even John, who we all know is low key, seemed a little more energized tonight. I was very very happy with the energy of all 4 members of the band and the money spent was well worth it. For those who are not sure if they want to go see them...GO!!! Yes, GO YOUR OWN WAY but GO...they will not disappoint you.

"Chain keep us together"
Thank you soooo very much for that you just made my day and weekend!!!! I'm sooo happy now! It's awesome that Stevie is feeling better now!
And SS is back!!!! WOW!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

i am so glad this show semed to go off unhitched & you all enjoyed yourselves~ glad to see silver springs back in~ it was a highlight of the show i saw~
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDonna93 View Post
Thank you soooo very much for that you just made my day and weekend!!!! I'm sooo happy now! It's awesome that Stevie is feeling better now!
And SS is back!!!! WOW!!!
I SECOND THAT!!!!!!! I've been praying (and even got others to pray) that she get well soon. Sounds like she did and they are back on track!!!!

Counting down the days until the San Diego show for me (May 31)

~jamie
Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Thanks...

Thanks for the review. Yes, I, too, am glad to hear that Stevie is better. And when you see her in San Diego, she'll be another year older!

Lee
Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chain View Post
The opening was below standard...just a walk out and into Monday Morning...B-O-R-I-N-G. No suspense nothing to really satisfy the anticipation.
Wonder why they don't vamp the opening the way they used to do. Lindsey & Mick used to pump up the energy for it that way.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Wonder why they don't vamp the opening the way they used to do. Lindsey & Mick used to pump up the energy for it that way.
That Rumours version they do on The Live Album punches you in the face... followed by the B3 chords.....
Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Ledgie

It sounds like it was one awesome show, and those of you who went, I'm glad y'all had a great time. I'm going next month, and I am SO looking forward to it. I was praying for Stevie too, if indeed it was her who was not feeling well. I've been praying for safe travel for them as well. You guys who prayed.. don't stop (no pun intended, lol), 'cause prayer IS powerful.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't know what kind of reviews I would read about Oakland, so it was wonderful to see positive ones. And Silver Springs is back! After SYW I didn't expect it to come back. I thought it was gone for good. I would have understood if it had to remain out and if it's dropped again that's fine. But I can't help but be happy that it hasn't been.

I would imagine that they are just a bit more hyped for the Bay area shows. Did they give you a little speech about their history in the area?

Overmyhead, I'm sorry that it took a little while to get into the show, but glad you did.

The_Chain, I like the way you put it in perspective. It's better than SYW if not as good as tours before that. I think that's an apt description. Nice to know that FM's "not as good" is still pretty darn GREAT.

Thanks for the reviews.

Michele
Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Great show!

I posted last night in the Oakland 24 thread but thought I would post my thoughts on the show again.
The band was in great spirits, they really seemed to be giving it their best, and Stevie was all smiles. And in very strong voice. She broke out the red boots for a brief section in the middle when she comes back out in her red dress. It took me awhile to notice that because I was in the first section behind the floor seats and the monitors were blocking my view. It was a nice surprise that she pulled them out, even if it was only for a few songs.
The Oracle Arena was very packed. That was great to see. There were pockets of people around me standing & singing to a few songs.
Lindsey was truly more aggressive than ever. While I enjoyed the fact that he does work the crowd up, I wish he wouldnt scream out his vocals. "Big Love" was the worst, at the end. I loved his vocals on NGBA though, he proved he can sing without screeching.
Stevie really surprised me after all the low energy of several recent performances. She is obviously feeling fine now, and her enthusiasm for the Bay Area shone through. She did a kick during one of the first numbers, and did a few spins during "Stand Back". Her vocals were really strong. She didnt always go for a lower note like she usually does and held long notes during GDW and "Storms" was really wonderful last night. I hope someone caught this show for You Tube.
I plan to hit the Sacramento show when it's rescheduled. Would go to San Jose tonight, but I have to work.
Also someone mentioned in one of the early threads concerning this tour on the lighting. I loved it. It was modern. Simple but really effective.
To everyone going to the remaining shows-ENJOY! I hope they perform with the same energy & spirit they displayed last night.

Joseph