Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Buckingham and Clapton

Buckingham played guitar on Clapton's 1985 album, BEHIND THE SUN......

..........Are there any anecdotes from either one of these guitargods of their times working together?
Old 01-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't ever read or heard anything from either of them about each other. I kind of doubt they even were in the studio at the same time.

The backstory:

Clapton had submitted a completed Phil Collins produced Behind The Sun album to WB and it was rejected. WB gave Eric a memo saying they didn't hear any "hits" on it; and, gave recommendations (read: "commands") as to what THEY wanted to hear on the album. So, Eric & crew (with WB heads, Lonny Waronker & Russ Titlemann) went back into the studio with L.A. session guys (as opposed to Eric's own band at the time) to record some new tracks suggested by WB powers-that-be (the hit "Forever Man" was one of the tunes that came out of those sessions). Lindsey probably was hanging around the studio and just ended up playing some acoustic rhythm guitar on the one track...it was around the same time that he would've been working on Go Insane. To me, (even listening through headphones) his guitarwork is virtually inaudible (similar to trying to hear his background vocals on that one track on the Time album).

Last edited by chiliD; 01-13-2004 at 11:51 AM..
Old 01-13-2004, 11:46 AM

Which is odd, right? Why even get a credit for something that people don't even realize it's there? I understand the legalities of it, but still.

I guess his contributions to the examples you mentioned, Chili, are the kind that if you took out the tracks you might notice the difference, but you can't hear them when they're included in the mix. Just adding sonic depth to the song.

Interestingly, the song he contributed to on Time was always my favorite off the album, and I didn't even realize Lindsey was on it until I read that on the old Ledge. Bekka has a great voice.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Which is odd, right? Why even get a credit for something that people don't even realize it's there? I understand the legalities of it, but still.
I've never understood all that. Sometimes you can read that somebody was on a certain track and never hear them, or can't definitively distinguish that a certain part IS them. Sometimes you can definitely HEAR somebody on a track and they're NOT credited. (i.e. Christine McVie on the Beach Boys song "Love Surrounds Me" from their L.A.-Light Album or Peter Green on "Night Watch" from Penguin & "Brown Eyes" from Tusk )

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I guess his contributions to the examples you mentioned, Chili, are the kind that if you took out the tracks you might notice the difference, but you can't hear them when they're included in the mix. Just adding sonic depth to the song.
Good point. Kind of a "subliminal" effect.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:16 PM

Isn't that one of the coolest things about Exile, for example? I mean the mix is so dense on some of those songs that you don't even really know what's going on, but if you took out one of the guitar parts, even a simple rhythm, I bet you'd notice it.

Boy, when the Stones are great, they are great.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not that it really matters since Lindsey is so blended into the song but which track of Clapton's is Lindsey on?
Old 01-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Without having the album in front of me, I keep forgetting whether it is "See What Love Can Do" or "Something's Happening".

Umm...."Something's Happening", I think.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

>>>Thanks for all this. This explains why Buckingham and Clapton didn't play together more after Eric's 1985 release.....
Old 01-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

.....wished they would have.......
Old 01-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Isn't LB singing on the chorus to something's happening as well as playing the acoustic part?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just additional guitar on Something's Happening. Wish he had contributed more to the Clapton album.

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009