The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Ledgie

Default Lindsey breaks down “Go Your Own Way” for Song Exploder podcast.

This is really great. http://songexploder.net/fleetwood-mac
Old 12-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
This is SO great. WHAT WHAT THEY THINKING? They should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting that at 12:50 he comments that Stevie will always find herself alone. He predicted that about 43 years ago, and put it in Go Your Own Way.

Last edited by lovethemac1; 12-05-2018 at 07:56 PM..
Old 12-05-2018, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also interesting that he says they had been on again/off again for some time before the ultimate breakup. I always assumed that because he never proposed he was the non-committal one, but if Stevie had regularly broken things off that changes the equation.

The whole thing is great, and I love hearing the isolated parts, particularly the backing vocals.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is amazing. I wish it were a regular thing where Lindsey goes through various FM songs.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The whole thing is great, and I love hearing the isolated parts, particularly the backing vocals.[/QUOTE]

This was my favorite part also. I loved those voices!
Old 12-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This is so good!
Always great to have an interview where it's just the interviewee talking.

At around the 9:00 mark where he's talking about John's bass line. "dee-digga-dee."
Old 12-06-2018, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
WOW!! Thanks for posting-this was great!! Wish we could have this kind of analysis for every FM song
Old 12-06-2018, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Also interesting that he says they had been on again/off again for some time before the ultimate breakup. I always assumed that because he never proposed he was the non-committal one, but if Stevie had regularly broken things off that changes the equation.

The whole thing is great, and I love hearing the isolated parts, particularly the backing vocals.
oh she said that even way back. I've still got audio cassettes of interviews she did on radio (Mary Turner, etc etc etc) where she says they were breaking up when FM called, and that you "could't break up AND join FM at the same time-- it was just too much for one heart to take. So we stayed together for over a year" and then she says how they started making real money and that eased some of the tension at least for a while, she could get a nice apartment of her own and she could indulge in buying nice clothes and all that and it helped, but then after the first album and tour and all that they realized that the problems were all still there.

During the whole Kristen Steward Robert Pattinson thing when everyone was coming down on KS for cheating on RP Stevie made a public comment about how KS should be forgiven.... that she herself had been forgiven for infidelities more than once in her own life. And later, after Joe, she talked about how she loved Joe the way Lindsey loved her--- i.e. loving someone so much you tolerate bad behavior from them. I always found her objection to the "shacking up" line in GYOW to be pretty funny. She'd always say "I never shacked up with anyone while I was with him" and I thought, she must have a different definition of it then... maybe she meant she didn't have ongoing affairs or whatever, but you know one night stands are just as bad..

I think part of the attraction of joining FM for her was not having to work solely with him (which I get), and also it gave her a mechanism to leave him. Just my opinion.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved this. Much of what was covered in the breakdown I'd already learned from the "Classic Albums" series, however there were some new bits: I had no idea, for example, that GYOW was the first of the new songs worked on. I also had no idea that one of the first deejays to play it on the air dissed it for not having a traditional beat.

John's bass when isolated is so friggin' awesome, as is Christine's organ and Mick's drumming.

I loved hearing the backing vocals. Stevie's vocals weren't surprising--I could always hear them, but when Christine's voice was isolated I heard a new texture, one that was only previously felt.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey should have done this for all the songs, and then had a transcript created and published. The Ken Caillat book wasn't nearly as technically informative—he tried covering too many bases, including historical summary and personal anecdote. All that extra stuff watered down the technology message.

About Mick: He must have a learning disability or something. What he does on GYOW is more abstract and difficult than the snare+tom+tom+tom pattern that Charlie Watts did on Street Fighting Man.

About Christine: The B3 chords on GYOW with the stops all pulled out doesn't feel gritty. It just sounds like a pipe organ. If she had added more clicky percussion and growly overdrive and maybe some swell and then pushed in half the drawbars, it would have felt gritty (and wrong for GYOW). Chris isn't really a gritty B3 player anyway—only here and there does she play the B3 in that bluesy way.

Here's a little elfin guy showing his Leslie 122 speaker cabinet and describing how it generates its specialized sound.

Here's the same little elvish fellow demonstrating his B3.

And here's a Firing Line segment with Buckley and Dwight Macdonald.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
About Mick: He must have a learning disability or something. What he does on GYOW is more abstract and difficult than the snare+tom+tom+tom pattern that Charlie Watts did on Street Fighting Man.

Yes, Mick is dyslexic....he talks about it in his book and how we suffered academically as a result at school and the only thing he felt he was any good at was ironicy playing the drums....
Old 12-08-2018, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Lindsey should have done this for all the songs, and then had a transcript created and published. The Ken Caillat book wasn't nearly as technically informative—he tried covering too many bases, including historical summary and personal anecdote. All that extra stuff watered down the technology message.
Have you seen the "Rig Rundown" interview with his guitar tech? I'll post it on the Lindsey Buckingham forum.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I loved this.

John's bass when isolated is so friggin' awesome
If you get a chance to find and hear the Rhiannon center channel mix from the latest Tusk deluxe version, John's bass is the standout instrument on that song. This is the version where Stevie speaks,"sometimes you wake up and Rhiannon's right there," just before the song starts. This version of Rhiannon is now my only go to version of the studio version from Fleetwood Mac and that is all thanks to John's signature bass playing.