User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Maybe their new songs will sound more like this version of Gypsy. Isn't Lindsey terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3saIrMAn6v8
I was listening to this and to the Bella Donna outtake of it recently. It's crazy to think how the song could've been so different (and forgettable tbh). Thank goodness it got its place on Mirage and became the work of art that we know and love.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
What do you suggest?
Maturity? Childish comments are only worth anything when you allow them to be. So maybe just ignore them? Because responding to pettiness with even more pettiness doesn't help your case, even though we all do it from time to time, all it does make you look just as childish.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Most of Bella Donna is Stevie and The Heartbreakers and it's pretty freaking awesome.
No it isn't. But anyway...
Old 06-25-2018, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasja View Post
OMG hahahaahahaaaahaaa!!

Oh boy. What a blessing to the world that Stevie Nicks and TP and the heart breakers never formed a permanent union.

I want my 3 minutes back ( I had to close it after that )
It's no secret he wanted Lindsey on his band, not Stevie. And he came up with that "no girls allowed on the band" excuse just to avoid putting up with Stevie on a daily basis. He left that heavy duty into Lindsey's capable hands. And look where that got him!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
sounds about right, you mock Lindsey's unconventional creativity, yet you must know in your heart of hearts that it was his unique approach that helped turn many of Stevie's raw ideas into actual works of art. Different strokes for different folks, but I'll take kleenex box banging on a song with actual substance over generic cheese any day, which I would say accounts for about 50% of Stevie's solo output.

And banging a Kleenex Box is pretty much the same as banging a tambourine....
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
No it isn't. But anyway...
It's not awesome or not The Heartbreakers? It's them on Outside the Rain, Kind of Woman, SDMHA, The Highwayman and Benmont plays on 8 of the 10 tracks. Even Stan Lynch played drums on 3 tracks.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Maturity? Childish comments are only worth anything when you allow them to be. So maybe just ignore them? Because responding to pettiness with even more pettiness doesn't help your case, even though we all do it from time to time, all it does make you look just as childish.
I've said far less than I've actually thought hence my signature line. This has been going on for years. Thank you for the advice.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's not awesome or not The Heartbreakers? It's them on Outside the Rain, Kind of Woman, SDMHA, The Highwayman and Benmont plays on 8 of the 10 tracks. Even Stan Lynch played drums on 3 tracks.
Mitzo cannot tolerate Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers influence on Stevie's music which begs belief as to why he is looking forward to hearing new "Fleetwood Mac " music when as I and others have pointed out will surely be all collaborations between her and one former Heartbreaker.

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 06-26-2018 at 12:35 AM..
Old 06-26-2018, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Mitzo cannot tolerate Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers influence on Stevie's music which begs belief as to why he is looking forward to hearing new "Fleetwood Mac " music when as I and others have pointed out will surely be all collaborations between her and one former Heartbreaker.
Not speaking for Mitzo, but I’m looking forward to new Christine songs and hearing how Neil Finn fits in. And, John McVie’s bass lines.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-26-2018, 05:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
It is true that at the time of BD's release and to this day I have never understood why she went with the Heartbreakers, whose whole musical direction and sound simply diminishes her own music, not to mention collaborations with any of them. To me there is no magic or beauty on any of the BD tracks and the production fugging sux, period. After its release, despite my previous obsession with her and FM, I ignored Stevie and FM until years later.

But at this stage in my life I would be happy for any new music from her and FM, really.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
It is true that at the time of BD's release and to this day I have never understood why she went with the Heartbreakers, whose whole musical direction and sound simply diminishes her own music, not to mention collaborations with any of them. To me there is no magic or beauty on any of the BD tracks and the production fugging sux, period. After its release, despite my previous obsession with her and FM, I ignored Stevie and FM until years later.

But at this stage in my life I would be happy for any new music from her and FM, really.
OMFG.

Am I REALLY about to $tevie fanboy??? BD is her only masterpiece!!! I love every song on it, AND the production. The country influence always reminded me more of The Eagles than TP, but I love the entire album.

Too bad she couldn't keep up that level of work, and ended up pushing out clunkers like OSOTM.

Bella Donna is in my all time top 20 albums. Maybe top 10!
Old 06-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Ledgie

Back to the original intent of this thread...

In the 70s & 80s...

Stevie
- Drew in the crowds
- Had a strong presence on stage with vocals and energy

Lindsey
- Was the creative genius behind the sound
- Had a strong presence on stage with vocals, guitar and energy

Last incarnation of Rumours Five...

Stevie
- Drew in the crowds
- Had a weak presence on stage with weak vocals and lack of energy

Lindsey
- Continues to be the creative genius behind the sound
- Had an even stronger presence on stage with vocals, guitar and energy
- Steals the show with his charisma, energy and talent - people leave the concert talking about Lindsey.

Lindsey has gotten better with age. And sadly, he has been compensating for the decline of Stevie and Christine.

And now the new members are going to make up for the loss of Lindsey? My billfold says no thanks.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g. fish View Post

In the 70s & 80s...

Stevie
- Drew in the crowds

Lindsey

Stevie
- Drew in the crowds

Lindsey
- Steals the show with his charisma, energy and talent - people leave the concert talking about Lindsey.

Lindsey has gotten better with age. And sadly, he has been compensating for the decline of Stevie and Christine.

And now the new members are going to make up for the loss of Lindsey? My billfold says no thanks.
Lindsey may have retained the same level of energy even as he aged, but there is no denying that his vocal quality declined as much if not more than Stevie's. Christine had some off key moments captured of film in 2014-2015 but when I went to their Sydney show, vocally she was the best of all three. I understand by the time of BuckVie she has declined and particularly so on You Make Loving Fun.
Now if Christine had left, that would have been something else. Easily replaced on keyboard by Tuggle and they go back to what they were doing for ten years after Say You Will. But I would have been more upset about that. Don't get me wrong, I am excited about the new line up, but I will miss Lindsey.
I just don't buy the whole idea he was fired out of spite. He admits he was trying to fit solo around Mac dates. Look, either you're fully committed to your band, or you're not.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g. fish View Post

In the 70s & 80s...

Stevie
- Drew in the crowds

Lindsey

Stevie
- Drew in the crowds

Lindsey

I don't think Lindsey's vocals are still strong. He's lost basically all of range. He can sing normally and sound decent but anything loud he sounds like he's screaming and anything quiet and he sounds like he's whispering. But he does still play fantastic guitar and has so much energy and interaction with the crowd that it really makes him a pleasure live.

The thing with Stevie isn't so much her voice being 'gone' as it is the fact that her tone and sound of her voice changed soooo dramatically. Sometimes I listen to Landslide and Dreams and have a hard time believing that's how her voice used to sound. And Stevie doesn't do much onstage but I understand that she can't dance and twirl around like she used to.

Christine had a lot of pitchy moments on recent tours. A LOT.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I don't think Lindsey's vocals are still strong. He's lost basically all of range. He can sing normally and sound decent but anything loud he sounds like he's screaming and anything quiet and he sounds like he's whispering. But he does still play fantastic guitar and has so much energy and interaction with the crowd that it really makes him a pleasure live.

The thing with Stevie isn't so much her voice being 'gone' as it is the fact that her tone and sound of her voice changed soooo dramatically. Sometimes I listen to Landslide and Dreams and have a hard time believing that's how her voice used to sound. And Stevie doesn't do much onstage but I understand that she can't dance and twirl around like she used to.

Christine had a lot of pitchy moments on recent tours. A LOT.
Gotta agree with all you said here. As much as I loathe what they did to Lindsey and the band dynamic, his voice is shot to hell. In particular live, in some cases he's pretty brutal. The lowered key on GYOW (along with the slowed tempo) has taken most of the life out of the song since at least as far back as Unleashed. He makes up for all of this with his stage presence and his nearly flawless guitar playing. As played out as it is, watching the man play Big Love is jaw-dropping. His vocals on that one are...less than jaw-dropping these days.

Stevie's voice is fairly even. She doesn't sound as screechy or raw as Lindsey does, but she comes off as pretty monotonous. Like Lindsey, some of her most powerful lyrics come off flat live due to her inability or unwillingness to hit higher notes. In Gypsy, "...and it lights up the night" is so blah and it's really lovely that the entire audience goes "ohhhhhhh AND it lights up the NIGGGGHT!" while she takes the easier route. Additionally, the bridge and Gypsy really stands out as showcasing her diminished capabilities vocally.

Christine had some consistently bad moments since coming out of retirement. Sadly, she took the worst 16 years off that she could have from that standpoint. It was wonderful to have her back but her vocals and lack of keyboard playing was shocking compared to The Dance.

Sadly, they all got old. That being said, there was still something endearing about this group getting together and giving it their best. I can't say the same for the new incarnation which just comes off as pathetic and cash-grabby. I'm willing to overlook everything above because of the band dynamic that's been built over the last 40+ years with the Rumours Five.