The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why did Lindsey need to be replaced?

Why did Lindsey need to be replaced? After Christine left, they toured as a foursome and just didn't sing her songs. Brett Tuggle filled in on keys. A backing musician could easily step up to play guitar in Lindsey's place and they could just play Stevie and Christine songs. I think diehard fans would have much more respect for a foursome of all original members. Seriously, why was it necessary to replace Lindsey but not Christine?
Old 05-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Because. Stevie.

She’s hated being one Fleetwood Mac since Tom Petty. When Tom wouldn’t cheat on his wife and be with her she became obsessed with being a Heartbreaker. He was the one man she couldn’t have. Then she was an “unofficial” Heartbreaker. She was never an official one. This drove her to insanity. She’s nuts.

Then Tom Petty dies, and she can never be an unofficial Heartbreak again. She resents Lindsey, she went further nuts. She can’t imagine not singing Heartbreaker songs. She hates Lindsey songs. She wanted the next members thing and that was making Hwartbreakers part of Fleetwood Mac. So she had to get rid of Lindsey. She can’t be creative without the heartbreakers. She’s burned her bridges with all her other producers she’s used up.

She needed Mike in Fleetwood Mac so she could be “happy”. She make sure that happened.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never thought of that. You're right, they never replaced Christine. But I guess you have to have a lead guitar God out front. So they just could have gone with Mike and not put Neil in there. I so wish Lindsey would do an interview.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 05-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

2 reasons I can think of: first, guitar players are a MAJOR part of the music of FM. A studio musician can't replace Lindsey because of his incredible ability. One thing about Mike Campbell is, no one can say he wasn't a good choice. He, too, is an incredible guitarist. In fact, if Lindsey had quit instead of being fired, I don't think anyone would question the wisdom of Mike replacing Lindsey.

Second, people seeing FM live expect male and female voices. That's always been the main appeal for me, I think- that beautiful harmony of three voices that seemed to disappear after Tusk. I mean, it was still there on Mirage and Tango, but not as much. And I know, I know, solo albums interfered, etc. I'm just saying, whatever the cause was, I still missed it. As Long As You Follow showcased 4 voices, which made it even more beautiful, and I noticed the harmonies were showcased more on BTM.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He plays guitar (which is the staple instrument in rock shows), he sings, and most of all he's just always been quite forefront in all their concerts, especially in more recent years as he hasn't really lost any of that energy. Christine's talents shouldn't be undermined but she's always said she was very happy being off to the side of the stage, being lowkey, playing her keyboard. If they were to just continue without a 'replacement' for him, the show would be HUGELY affected.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I never thought of that. You're right, they never replaced Christine. But I guess you have to have a lead guitar God out front. So they just could have gone with Mike and not put Neil in there. I so wish Lindsey would do an interview.
because Lindsey wouldn't allow them to. Stevie tried, hard. Lindsey said no. no replacement to sing Chris songs, or her own songs, for that matter. exact opposite of what they are doing now. because there's no Lindsey in that band anymore, to try keep some semblance of loyalty and class.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
because Lindsey wouldn't allow them to. Stevie tried, hard. Lindsey said no. no replacement to sing Chris songs, or her own songs, for that matter. exact opposite of what they are doing now. because there's no Lindsey in that band anymore, to try keep some semblance of loyalty and class.
Yep, they finally got rid of the only band member with respect for what this band means for us fans.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree that on many fronts Mike is a very clever choice. If Lindsey had left of his own accord I'd be more excited about Mike stepping in, though even then his playing is different to Lindsey's so that will change the nature of things a bit. But from a biz perspective he's a well-known and respected entity who brings an audience with him. And in the wake of Tom's death and no more Heartbreakers tours (unless they all decide to replace him a la Queen etc which is highly unlikely) this gives Hearbreakers fans who are so inclined a chance to see Mike still playing. And give the press something to talk about. Very smart move.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Mike 's playing and also I'm a fan of Neil/Crowded House but these things are to me beside the point .Instead of firing one of the five they should have disbanded.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I like Mike 's playing and also I'm a fan of Neil/Crowded House but these things are to me beside the point .Instead of firing one of the five they should have disbanded.
Exactly. That's why I hate the greed. If they respected their legacy as much as they wanted money, they would've just disbanded.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Exactly. That's why I hate the greed. If they respected their legacy as much as they wanted money, they would've just disbanded.
Totally agree.
Greed - one of the 7 deadly sins, an ugly personality trait
Old 05-04-2018, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

With Stevie and Christine fronting the band, Mick feels he must play drums in a girl band. That can never happen.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
With Stevie and Christine fronting the band, Mick feels he must play drums in a girl band. That can never happen.
Oh, Mick doesn't care. He'd let you fist **** him if the money was right.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Oh, Mick doesn't care. He'd let you fist **** him if the money was right.
Mick has lost all integrity. That's why I have to laugh sometimes when some fans put him on a pedestal as the band member who has every right to fire whoever he wants.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

There is a song that explains why........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp4suZ4jNXg