Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
(If I actually were a girl...)
It's a beautiful poem, isn't it? It's probably a good one to recite in front of a girlfriend.
"Six Blade Knife" was on their first album, the self-titled Dire Straits, which also has "Sultans Of Swing". It's also an excellent album, along with Love Over Gold. I own the three other studio albums, although I don't listen to them quite as much...
Oh shizz, genderfail. My bad. In my defense, however, I know about 6 girls named Jaycee IRL, which probably influenced mah brain. Sorry! Please forgive. Though I also noticed someone in an earlier post refer to me as a dude, when I am a girl, but I am used to that one on the Interweb.

I dunno if all girls would get the awesome of the poem, but you could try it. I like how it bookends the album, begins and ends with the "cold hearted orb lines." I particularly like how the very last line of the poem on the album is said almost as a question, "And which IS an illusion?"

In fact, I like it so much, I'ma reprint it here for posterity because I've had it memorized for so many years now.

The Day Begins

Cold hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colors from our sight
Red is grey and yellow, white
But we decided which is right
And which is an illusion.

Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let insipid figures of light pass by
The mighty light of ten thousand suns
Challenges infinity and is soon gone
Night time, to some a brief interlude
To others, the fear of solitude

Brave Helios, wake up your steeds
Bring the warmth the countryside needs.

Late Lament

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room
Bedsitter people look back and lament
Another day's useless energy spent

Impassioned lovers wrestle as one
Lonely man cries out for love and has none
New mother picks up and suckles her son
Senior citizens wish they were young

Cold hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colors from our sight
Red is grey and yellow, white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 02-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I live in the same town as JCM, and trust me, he's an ASSHOLE(yes, deserving of caps), and everyone knows it. His opinion is the only one that matters, and he's rude as hell. Little piece of sh*t is completely full of himself....no humility whatsoever.

Steve Earle - I provided(and ran) lighting for one of his shows. I was a HUGE fan of his(Guitar Town WAS one of my favorite all time albums). Well, I really wanted to get one of my guitars signed, so I took a $1200 Takemine acoustic(yes, that's not much money to him, but it was to me). So I go on his bus with his tour manager, who tells him that I was the LD for the show, and a fan, and would like to get my guitar signed by him. He takes my Takemine, looks at it, and all he could say was, in front of his entire entourage, "I hate these fukcing japanese pieces of ****", then signed it.

Thanks Steve, you fukcing asshole.
Oh wow, that really sucks. I'm so sorry. That's one of the reasons I am afraid to meet most of my music idols - I worry they will not be nearly as awesome as I think they are.

I've met a few that were as awesome as I'd hoped - Robb Flynn from Machine Head was a total sweetie - gave me a hug & a smooch, I thought I was gonna melt into a little pile of goo - and Kenny Hickey from Type O Negative is also great.

And if y'all wanna go more than 10, do it. I am having fun reading all this.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 02-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ten Best Albums of My Lifetime (1977-Present)

One (or two ) albums per artist:

1. Rumours (1977) and Tusk (1979), Fleetwood Mac
2. Fear of Music (1979) and Remain In Light (1980), Talking Heads
3. Once Upon a Time . . . (1977) and Bad Girls (1979), Donna Summer
4. Very (1993) and Bilingual (1996), The Pet Shop Boys
5. Fear of a Black Planet (1990) and Apocalypse '91 (1991), Public Enemy
6. Cupid & Psyche '85 (1985) and Provision (1988), Scritti Politti
7. The Queen Is Dead (1986) and Strangeways, Here We Come (1987), The Smiths
8. Bazerk, Bazerk, Bazerk (1991), Son of Bazerk
9. Viva Hate (1988) and You Are The Quarry (2004), Morrissey
10. Never Mind the Bollocks (1977), The Sex Pistols

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 02-22-2010 at 01:05 PM..
Old 02-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ok here goes......

1. Fleetwood Mac - Say You Will: my first Mac album ever, and still my favorite. I always had the best times in my room, in second grade, dancing to Say You Will...
2. Stevie Nicks - Trouble In Shangri-La: the one and ONLY Stevie album that i can listen to in its entirety - love it!
3. Lindsey Buckingham - Gift of Screws: yes, go ahead and yell at me for not putting down OOTC...but GOS is AMAZING! Definitelymy favorite Lindsey album - from the crazy weird "Gift of Screws" to the gorgeous "Bel-Air Rain" it's always highly ranked in my mind!
4. Steely Dan - Aja: My first album and concert.EVER. Steely Dan was my first love and will forever hold a special place in my heart. Hearing classics like, "Peg" and "Home At Last" still give me chills!
5. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon: i'm not even gonna explain this one...
6. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Deja Vu: i adore CSNY! Some of my favorites: "Carry On", "Woodstock", "Almost Cut My Hair"
7. Buckingham Nicks - Self-Titled: do i even dare talk about this one?
8. Adam Lambert - For Your Entertainment: i love this album so much! First of all, i admire Adam very much, and he has an incredible voice! His work is soo good!
9. Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive - in the words of Peter Griffin, "You know what was a monster? Frampton Comes Alive - 1976 - did you know anybody who didn't own that record?"
10. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes: pure genius. "Refugee" and "Don't Do Me Like That" are all time faves!

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 02-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 View Post
ok here goes......
7. Buckingham Nicks - Self-Titled: do i even dare talk about this one?
Yes! Talk about it, I think it's freakin' incredible!

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 02-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Olivia Newton-John - Physical (1981)
This was probably the first album/cassette I ever purchased. I was a major ONJ fan a good two years before discovering Stevie. Despite the song “Physical” being very commercial, Olivia really blossomed as a singer on this album. It is full of songs I love, “Stranger’s Touch”, “Love Make Me Strong”, “Recovery” and my favorite, “The Promise”, which she wrote herself. Aside from Stevie, not many artist can move me to tears but Olivia can. “The Promise” is one of the most beautiful and genuine songs Olivia has ever written.

Fleetwood Mac - Mirage (1982)
Of course “Rumours” is probably the best album the Mac has ever done, and while “Tusk” is a fan favorite, it’s a bit over the top for me, aside from Stevie and Chris’s songs (sorry Linds - though I do love “Save Me A Place”), “Mirage” really is just a very enjoyable listen. I find myself playing that CD more than any other Mac release.

Stevie Nicks - The Wild Heart (1983)
Ah, the singles from WH are what got me into Stevie. My first Stevie purchase was both the 45’s for Stand Back and If Anyone Falls (at the same time). Looking at the cover art I knew Stevie was unlike any other. I purchased the album shortly thereafter and the rest is history. I’m forever partial to “The Wild Heart.” I think it is a much more solid effort than Bella Donna.

Paula Abdul - Spellbound (1991)
The benefit with working with one producer is that you get a more solid and cohesive effort. The Family Stand really pushed Paula to be her best and it shows. Her singing improved (just listen to Rush Rush again, and “Will You Marry Me” - she really is a decent singer. No Mariah or Whitney, but Paula does a fine job on “Spellbound”). She wrote or co-wrote 4 of the tracks and there is not one bad song on this album. I have often said that this is probably one of the best pop albums ever and it is so perfectly sequenced.

Belinda Carlisle - Live Your Life Be Free (1991)
Much to my surprise, this album did not even chart on Billboard’s top 200, which I will never understand. It had an awesome 1st single in “Do You Feel Like I Feel”, very upbeat and catchy. So many great songs on this CD from “Emotional Highway”, “I Plead Insanity” and “You’re Nothing Without Me.” Definitely a great pop CD that got overlooked.

Madonna - Erotica (1992)
The early 90’s, me coming out and experiencing the club scene in my early 20’s. This CD was all in the clubs, the title track, “Deeper and Deeper” and “Fever.” Aside from the club tracks it also has a lot of sexy urban tunes with a jazzy undertone. This remains my favorite Madonna CD to this day.

Sade - Love Deluxe (1992)
Honestly, I probably listen to “The Best Of Sade” more than any of her studio release but “Love Deluxe” is the one of hers I played the most. Aside from all of her CDs being the love soundtrack for a lot of us, there are so many beautiful yet very sad songs, and I have to be willing to “go there” if I plan to listen to Sade. “No Ordinary Love”, “Cherish The Day”, “Feel No Pain” and “Kiss Of Life”, all beautiful.

Lindsey Buckingham - Out Of The Cradle (1992)
I can’t believe I’m putting a Lindsey record in my top 10 but I am. This was a CD that I played a lot during my coming out period. It has a lot of positive lyrics that spoke to me at the time. “Soul Drifter” is probably my favorite LB song ever. A great CD overall.

Kylie Minogue - Light Years (2000)
I was aware of Kylie before this record but she pretty much vanished from the US scene after 1988 until 2002. Little did most US peeps know just what a stellar career she had pretty much everywhere else in the world all the time the US was ignoring her (their loss). I first became aware of this CD via a Paula Abdul email blast where it mentioned that Paula had co-written a tune titled “Spinning Around” and described it as disco driven. Of course being a Paula fan I had to check it out. I did and I LOVED IT. Not long after I purchased the 2nd single which was “On A Night Like This.” I loved that too but I didn’t buy the CD “Light Years” until the summer of 2001, while I was in NY to see Stevie. I bought it, took and home and played it non-stop. I loved everything on it, with “Spinning Around” being my favorite. Other faves are “Disco Down”, “Love Boat”, “Butterfly” and the title track.

Shakira - She Wolf (2009)
For the past 10 years or so I’ve purchased full CDs less and less. Since I love club music so much I end up buying a lot of singles and there are actually very few CDs I like to listen to as a whole. I prefer to make my own play list these days. However, not the case with “She Wolf.” I’ve been a casual fan of Shaki’s since “Laundry Service” and I liked pretty much everything I heard, but when “She Wolf” (the single) came out, I found it so addictive. I received a promo copy of the CD, gave it a chance and I loved it. There are so many great songs on it, the title track, “Did It Again”, “Gypsy” and my favorite, the very driving “Men In This Town.” You have to purchase that song if nothing else. Her vocals on this give me chills. Love me some Shaki.

Honorable mentions:
Salt ‘N’ Pepa - Very Necessary (1993)
Maxwell - Maxwell’s Urban Hang Suite (1996)
Sweetback - Sweetback (1996)
George Michael - Ladies & Gentlemen … The Best Of George Michael (1998)
Tiffany - Dust Off And Dance (2005)

Last edited by Travis; 06-28-2010 at 10:13 AM..
Old 02-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

Shakira - She Wolf (2009)
For the past 10 years or so I’ve purchased full CDs less and less. Since I love club music so much I end up buying a lot of singles and there are actually very few CDs I like to listen to as a whole. I prefer to make my own play list these days. However, not the case with “She Wolf.” I’ve been a casual fan of Shaki’s since “Laundry Service” and I liked pretty much everything I heard, but when “She Wolf” (the single) came out, I found it so addictive. I received a promo copy of the CD, gave it a chance and I loved it. There are so many great songs on it, the title track, “Did It Again”, “Gypsy” and my favorite, the very driving “Men In This Town.” You have to purchase that song if nothing else. Her vocals on this give me chills. Love me some Shaki.
She Wolf is amazing! I was going to put Oral Fixation (which I think is her best) on my list, but I decided to put Janet on there instead. But I find myself listening to "Did It Again" over and over sometimes, I love the spanish version.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Belinda Carlisle - Live Your Life Be Free (1991)
Much to my surprise, this album did not even chart on Billboard’s top 200, which I will never understand. It had an awesome 1st single in “Do You Feel Like I Feel”, very upbeat and catchy. So many great songs on this CD from “Emotional Highway”, “I Plead Insanity” and “You’re Nothing Without Me.” Definitely a great pop CD that got overlooked.

Kylie Minogue - Light Years (2000)
I was aware of Kylie before this record but she pretty much vanished from the US scene after 1988 until 2002. Little did most US peeps know just what a stellar career she had pretty much everywhere else in the world all the time the US was ignoring her (their loss). I first became aware of this CD via a Paula Abdul email blast where is mentioned that Paula had co-written a tune titled “Spinning Around” and described it as disco driven. Of course being a Paula fan I had to check it out. I did and I LOVED IT. Not long after I purchased the 2nd single which was “On A Night Like This.” I loved that too but I didn’t buy the CD “Light Years” until the summer of 2001, while I was in NY to see Stevie. I bought it, took and home and played it non-stop. I loved everything on it, with “Spinning Around” being my favorite. Other faves are “Disco Down”, “Love Boat”, “Butterfly” and the title track.
Hey travis. Great choices! I love Belinda and good call on choosing this album! The tracks you mention are all brilliant, especially I Plead Insanity. Do you also have Real (1993)? That's a really overlooked record, it had 2 great singles (Lay Down Your Arms and Big Scary Animal) and the rest of the album is pretty damn good too!

I wondered if there's be a Kylie one in your list... I do like Light Years (especially Disco Down, it so should have been a single instead of the dreaded Please Stay that the UK got) but I'd still have to go for Impossible Princess as her best album. You heard it yet?

Last edited by Dodfather; 02-21-2010 at 06:17 PM..
Old 02-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
Yes! Talk about it, I think it's freakin' incredible!
haha i thought it was pretty self-explanatory!

anyways, my dad told me this story about how my grandpa once bought BN at a record store the week it came out. He brought it home and told my dad, "this is the future of rock 'n' roll. These guys are gonna get somewhere." Ironically, my dad listened to it, hated it, and sold it to help pay for college.

A couple years ago i was at Princeton record Exchange, and found it on sale for 175$....yes a bit pricey, but worth it! so i bought it, brought it home, and put it in my turn-table to listen to..(of course eventually transferring it to mp3)

my dad now has a new found appreciation for album, cuz his 14-yr old daughter is in love with it!

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 02-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 View Post
haha i thought it was pretty self-explanatory!

anyways, my dad told me this story about how my grandpa once bought BN at a record store the week it came out. He brought it home and told my dad, "this is the future of rock 'n' roll. These guys are gonna get somewhere." Ironically, my dad listened to it, hated it, and sold it to help pay for college.

A couple years ago i was at Princeton record Exchange, and found it on sale for 175$....yes a bit pricey, but worth it! so i bought it, brought it home, and put it in my turn-table to listen to..(of course eventually transferring it to mp3)

my dad now has a new found appreciation for album, cuz his 14-yr old daughter is in love with it!
Aww! Your Grandpa sounds awesome

I need a copy badly, but they're sooo expensive

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 02-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
Oh wow, that really sucks. I'm so sorry. That's one of the reasons I am afraid to meet most of my music idols - I worry they will not be nearly as awesome as I think they are.

I've met a few that were as awesome as I'd hoped - Robb Flynn from Machine Head was a total sweetie - gave me a hug & a smooch, I thought I was gonna melt into a little pile of goo - and Kenny Hickey from Type O Negative is also great.

And if y'all wanna go more than 10, do it. I am having fun reading all this.
Yes, that's definitely a downside. You know, you never know who's going to be nice, either. I've worked shows where I was on edge, the entire soundcheck/show, just because the artist was an ass. Then there are some who just make your day(Conor Oberst comes to mind....he gave me a hug, and would come up and put his arm around my shoulder, anytime he wanted a change in his monitor mix).
If people only knew......when an artist acts like Conor, I will bend over backwards for them, doing things that aren't even part of my job, just because they're NICE. When an artist is a prick, I will do nothing outside my job for them.

Unfortunately, people like JC Mellenhead, and Steve Earle, don't CARE if people like them. Because they're assholes.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Yes, that's definitely a downside. You know, you never know who's going to be nice, either. I've worked shows where I was on edge, the entire soundcheck/show, just because the artist was an ass. Then there are some who just make your day(Conor Oberst comes to mind....he gave me a hug, and would come up and put his arm around my shoulder, anytime he wanted a change in his monitor mix).
If people only knew......when an artist acts like Conor, I will bend over backwards for them, doing things that aren't even part of my job, just because they're NICE. When an artist is a prick, I will do nothing outside my job for them.

Unfortunately, people like JC Mellenhead, and Steve Earle, don't CARE if people like them. Because they're assholes.
I've actually heard from a few people that Conor is an asshole, I like your version better though
Old 02-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
I've actually heard from a few people that Conor is an asshole, I like your version better though
Well, my story is fairly early in his career, so he may have changed(as many do).
Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
(Not in any order)
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna
Stevie Nicks - Wild Heart
Kate Bush - The Dreaming
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
Kate Bush- The Hounds of Love

Call me boringly plain with only three artists, but I can put up with listening to the same stuff!
To be fair, if I was really strict with my selections, it may have ended up pretty much all being FM for my top 10 (except the top two I had), as splitting up their albums by how much I love them is like splitting hairs...
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 02-22-2010, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=StreetAngel95;872969]haha i thought it was pretty self-explanatory!

[B]my dad now has a new found appreciation for album, cuz his 14-yr old daughter is in love with it![/]QUOTE]

LOL! We are the same age, and I too try to convert people to the Mac... Although most of the time it does not work...