User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Am I the only one doesn't think she looks fat in the video?
no, you are not.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
The Rolling Stone Book of Rock Video has an entire chapter dedicated to the making of the original Stand Back video. I read it in the late 80's and thought I'd never get to see the video. Sometime in the mid 90's I was at a record fair and found a bootleg VHS full of Stevie Rarities, it had the now infamous Wild Heart dressing room video, the bitchy purple velvet interview, and the original Stand Back video.
which video are you referring to here?
Old 06-16-2015, 03:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the video, but a civil war theme is a very bizarre concept for this style of song. Even Stevie misconstrued the context of the story line.
When Stevie touches the soldier's coat, it reveals that he is the enemy, either a Confederate or Union soldier. So the others attack him. Of course Stevie thinks they are coming to her rescue her from being hassled, but that wasn't the case. What I find funny is watching her mouthing the words to the song when she she walks into the saloon.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-16-2015 at 04:05 AM..
Old 06-16-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Am I the only one doesn't think she looks fat in the video?
No, I think she looks great in both the videos.
But I think the civil war video is a bit cheesy, then again in the eighties 'cheesy' was the rule.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I already mentioned that I thought she did not look fat. But she does look so much better in the new Stand Back video. She turned on her sex appeal no doubt.......and it worked!
I had to chuckle when I read some thought the video did not make sense or was not logical. That describes well over half of all the videos in the 80's.
I love the 83 vibe of the video with the dancers. Flashdance was burning up the theaters and music charts. That movie also created a fashion statement with cut off sweat shirts. So I love the "cheezy" 80's dancers. Who does not love Brad Jeffries's spin and pump towards the camera. But Stevie dancing in front of glass block windows makes it the perfect 80's video
But seriously.....Stevie looked hot and sexy in black and pretty in pink. I love how the video goes back and forth with her in black and pink. For a relatively simple video, its really good! The reverse walk on an inclined treadmill worked really good

Many years later Lita Ford did a video for "Kiss Me Deadly" and the theme of the video was making fun at Stevie's 83 Stand Back video. Those are Lita's words about the video...not mine. Here is the video and you be the judge.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2..._music?start=4

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-16-2015 at 06:32 AM..
Old 06-16-2015, 07:09 AM

I really don't see how the Lita Ford video could resemble Stevie's in any way...
Old 06-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I really don't see how the Lita Ford video could resemble Stevie's in any way...
When Kiss Me Deadly was released in 1988 it was a HUGE video on MTV. Stand Back never came to my mind either. Years later on Behind the Music (Lita Ford) or another place Lita mentioned it was the inspiration for the video and was poking fun at it. I think Lita said she actually was going to put a tread mill in the video. But once I saw Kiss Me Deadly after what she said, I got the subtle Stand Back vibe. She is singing into a black microphone like Stevie with fans blowing her hair like when Stevie is on the tread mill. She is singing in front of block glass. There are scenes of Lita in dark clothes and then light clothes flashing back and forth. Its subtle without being extremely obvious. I don't think anyone would know unless Lita told people. But when I see the video, I can see the Stand Back Stevie inspiration. Kiss Me Deadly was directed by Marty Callner (who directed Fleetwood Mac in 1982 and also worked with Stevie).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Callner

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-16-2015 at 05:35 PM..
Old 06-21-2015, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
No, I think she looks great in both the videos.
But I think the civil war video is a bit cheesy, then again in the eighties 'cheesy' was the rule.
Cheesy is the standard for most videos. I was the generational demographic when MTV launched. Remember the early format that featured VJs?

The eighties was a weird period for music, and visual aspect of it. New Wave was big, and new technologies became a dominant player in the sound and production of music.
I rejected most of it, preferring more organic music from the sixties and seventies. It has taken decades, but I've come around to appreciate the absurdities and sensibilities of the music and the videos of that time.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Cheesy is the standard for most videos. I was the generational demographic when MTV launched. Remember the early format that featured VJs?

The eighties was a weird period for music, and visual aspect of it. New Wave was big, and new technologies became a dominant player in the sound and production of music.
I rejected most of it, preferring more organic music from the sixties and seventies. It has taken decades, but I've come around to appreciate the absurdities and sensibilities of the music and the videos of that time.
I'm born in the early 90s so I can't talk first handedly, but you would think that having grown-up during the bubblegum pop period should have prepared me for the 80s taste but it didn't. I'm a fan since 2010 and just now I've come to appreciate the 80s Fleetwood Mac Stevie period; I think the 80s are a very peculiar era for music and customs, it seems like they took all the most eccentric part of all the other decades and put it together.
When you start to understand and take them for what they are they are really fun though.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For something to be cheesy it has to first be good. In the 80's we were rebelling against how the 60's were so mellow and the 70's were so polyester with things being exaggerated. Big collars, big ties, loud patterns. The 80's were about taking different eras of fashion and making them into something totally new. It was also a backlash of the conservative past that was still a part of mainstream society. The everyday person didn't dress like the look of 80's videos but the people going to the nightclubs did. It was totally fashionable at the time, even though it was wild and crazy. Twenty years from now people will look at Lady Gaga and think "what was she going on about?"
Old 07-14-2015, 04:41 PM

Default Slightly OT

Quote:
then again in the eighties 'cheesy' was the rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
It was totally fashionable at the time, even though it was wild and crazy.
I've just found the proof of all of it, we shouldn't have been so harsh on Stevie it' could have been way worse... this is possibly the tackiest video I've ever seen:

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 07-14-2015 at 04:47 PM..
Old 07-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the video that killed Billy Squier's career
Old 07-15-2015, 05:36 AM

Yes, it was mentioned in the comments.
I don't know that man, he's unknown in my country, but I'm crossed between feeling sympathy towards him because he's done such embarassing things in front of the whole America or blaming him for his poor tastes and choices.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ha! The infamous Billy Squire video. They talk about that all the time on Stern. The concept is bad because without a guitar he had little choices but to prance around and swing his hands. Its definitely PEAK 80's with ripped shirts and glam. He does look very stupid twirling his arms around like that. But do I dare say Stevie looked pretty dumb during the video for I CANT WAIT during the merry go round music part twirling her hands around too
There I said it
Old 07-15-2015, 07:37 AM

The last part of the video in which he holds the guitar is just slightly better though...

I think Stevie would have handled this kind of situation with more grace being used to perform without an instrument and having the aid of her famous shawls and billowy skirts.

However the worst thing is that it's not even a bad song. Very 80s, but it's not bad.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 07-15-2015 at 08:05 AM..