The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Worst. Mac. Song. Ever.
Well, since it's on the "Very Best Of" CD, there must be, like, 200 Mac songs that are worse than it.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
Well, since it's on the "Very Best Of" CD, there must be, like, 200 Mac songs that are worse than it.
haha!! wrong!!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Ah yes. The inclusion of that song on the VBoFM was completely inexplicable!!!!! While not everyone holds "Family Man" in as low regard as I do, you'd be hard pressed to find folks who truly believe it deserves to be counted among the "Very Best of Fleetwood Mac."

BTW, I find "Oh Diane" to be catchy and pleasant in a retro-sort of way. "Stand on the Rock" has its moments.

I have to agree that "When I See You Again" is wretched. There is no excuse for a line like "So she stares at the stairs... there are many stairs to stare at these days." The answer from Lindsey at the end is nice, though.

I also concur that "The Second Time" is pretty bad, although I like the way she sings "someone that you loved, and would always love." I would add to the Hall of Shame the self-indulgent and rambling "Welcome to the Room... Sara."

I still argue that "Family Man" outsucks them all. However, in this contest, there are no winners!

Last edited by sodascouts; 01-15-2010 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: added some nice things about WISYA - it's not all bad.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Ah yes. The inclusion of that song on the VBoFM was completely inexplicable!!!!! While not everyone holds "Family Man" in as low regard as I do, you'd be hard pressed to find folks who truly believe it deserves to be counted among the "Very Best of Fleetwood Mac."

BTW, I find "Oh Diane" to be catchy and pleasant in a retro-sort of way. "Stand on the Rock" has its moments.

I have to agree that "When I See You Again" is wretched. There is no excuse for a line like "So she stares at the stairs... there are many stairs to stare at these days." The answer from Lindsey at the end is nice, though.

I also concur that "The Second Time" is pretty bad, although I like the way she sings "someone that you loved, and would always love." I would add to the Hall of Shame the self-indulgent and rambling "Welcome to the Room... Sara."

I still argue that "Family Man" outsucks them all. However, in this contest, there are no winners!
Let me add to the weirdness...

I love Oh Diane, "but only after the lip synch video" just cracked me up...
I love When I See You Again mainly because Lindsey and Christine save it...
I love Family Man because of the guitar at the end...
I hate the Second Time.. just really stinks...
I love Welcome to the Room Sara.. Again the chorus is saved by CM LB background vocals... and it's got a nifty arrangement..
I don't really know how I feel about Stand on the Rock... maybe cos it's so generic... but the chord progression is kind of cool at times..
Old 01-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's inclusion on the "Very Best Of" CD is likely because Family Man was released as a single.

Matt
Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
It's inclusion on the "Very Best Of" CD is likely because Family Man was released as a single.

Matt
Haha.. ur right... it was.. in UK and USA or just one or the other?... I can't remember..
Old 01-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Haha.. ur right... it was.. in UK and USA or just one or the other?... I can't remember..
Both. It got up to 23 on the A/C charts and 90 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts.

Matt
Old 01-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Ledgie

Hejira --- Good point! You're right. I definitely see that now. I don't know why I didn't think of it that way before.

I also appreciate the spanish guitar on it.

"All I ever wanted .. was to know that you were dreaming ..."
Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That is pretty bad. It should get mocked as often as "forgotten chimpanzee" or "it hurts my everything."

Michele
Old 01-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love love love the dance/ trance track called 'Te Quiero' from The Cube Guys, released a few years back. It uses a sample of Family Man as it's foundation. I heard it in Europe, and it brings back a lot of memories.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I love love love the dance/ trance track called 'Te Quiero' from The Cube Guys, released a few years back. It uses a sample of Family Man as it's foundation. I heard it in Europe, and it brings back a lot of memories.
I was just about to mention that. They played it quite often here a few years ago. They used the Spanish guitar part, which is the only part of the song that doesn't suck a**. It is quite possible that family Man is the worst FM song ever. I kinda like Oh Diane. I don't love it, but it's ok. And I do love The Second Time, and When I See You Again. They both have a kind of sadness in them. It's strange though how both Stevie and Lindsey included their worst songs ever on Tango (Family Man and Welcome To The Room). Oh wait, I forgot about Silver Girl and red Rover... YUCK!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

[QUOTE=HejiraNYC;865679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post

Well, I'm going to stick my neck in a guillotine and vote for "Stand on the Rock." It's just the most insipidly generic, bland middle-of-the-road piece of bluesy-rock puff-pastry I've ever heard. It belongs on a Sammy Hagar album, not a Fleetwood Mac album.
Even Sammy would know enough to not put 'Stand on the Rock' on an album!
Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Except those aren't the lyrics, they are "And she stares and the stairs, ooh there are many things to stare at these days...." Not a huge improvement but still.
Though clearly Stevie has a fixation with stairs. To wit from "Thousand Days":

The closest you've ever come to me
Was to help me up the stairs
You stood in the middle of the stairway
You nearly dragged me up the stairs

The lyric doesn't take you anywhere, just uses the same word repeatedly.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oooh, well he took my album and he left it against the stair. And I stared at him all night and he was aware, but he never picked Bella Donna up off of the stair.

Michele
Old 01-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuncles View Post
Except those aren't the lyrics, they are "And she stares and the stairs, ooh there are many things to stare at these days...." Not a huge improvement but still.
Though clearly Stevie has a fixation with stairs. To wit from "Thousand Days":

The closest you've ever come to me
Was to help me up the stairs
You stood in the middle of the stairway
You nearly dragged me up the stairs

The lyric doesn't take you anywhere, just uses the same word repeatedly.
She was dark at the top of the stairs and she called to me.