Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default movie about the Starck Club and drugs

As many will recall, Stevie was one of the investors in the Starck Club in Dallas in the 80s. She was spending quite a bit of time in Dallas during those days. Apparently the club was notorious for use of ecstasy before it was outlawed.... and all sorts of shenanigans a la Studio 54. No mention of her involvement in the initial write up of this upcoming movie about the club, but it will be interesting to see if anything about her ends up in it.

http://www.guidelive.com/movies/2015...ir-ecstasy-80s
Old 08-22-2015, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well it's interesting, because I was listening to an interview around the Wild Heart era, and Stevie talked about her moving to Dallas, and how much she liked it there and where she lived. Sandy Stewart described the house too, I just don't remember where I heard it.. Stevie and the girls sang Edge of Seventeen over the original during the interview and it was amazing. Maybe someone knows what I'm talking about?

During a concert, (Rock a Little I believe) she said "I live in Dallas, it's nice there." She evidently spent a lot of time there recording.. There's also this article specifically about the Starck Club...

http://sidedish.dmagazine.com/2009/0...party-at-dali/

I'm sure you've seen it before and might question its credibility (I might) but sometimes it's hard to imagine just how messed up she was.. She definitely never mentions her Dallas days anymore..

EDIT:: Here's a teaser for a different (?) documentary.. WARNING EXPLICIT LANGUAGE but the part about the hairdressers explains so much lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iMEs-D6Ccc

Last edited by DauphineMarie; 08-22-2015 at 12:08 AM..
Old 08-22-2015, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Based on the first paragraph of that article and the sheer excesses that went on at that venue, not to mention Stevie's coke problem during the early 80's, none of this surprises me.

Nor does it surprise me that she NEVER mentions her time in Dallas anymore.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I vaguely recall a mention of Stevie and Grace Jones co-owning a club in Dallas. is there any truth to that?
Old 08-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
I vaguely recall a mention of Stevie and Grace Jones co-owning a club in Dallas. is there any truth to that?
I don't know whether they owned it or what. I think they both owned a large share in it. When the club opened its doors in 1984, both Stevie Nicks and Grace Slick performed sets at the club with their respective bands. (No, we don't have any tapes of it.)

Some of the TV stars from "Dynasty" or "Knots Landing" were seen at the opening night party. If Stevie ever performed "Nightbird" live in front of a paying audience, it would have been at this gig.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She's mentioned in the past that Lori's first husband, Gordon Perry, helped her produce some demos at his studio (Goodnight Dallas) and Lori sang on them as well.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
She's mentioned in the past that Lori's first husband, Gordon Perry, helped her produce some demos at his studio (Goodnight Dallas) and Lori sang on them as well.
Yes. This is most likely where the cleaning lady demo of Sara was recorded and the original Beauty and the Beast demo (in July 1978 with FM) and the album cut with the orchestra in 1982-83, as well as some other Wild Heart tracks, and definitely the ones with Sandy Stewart, considering she was from Texas and Goodnight Dallas was where she recorded Cat Dancer (I think).

EDIT:: Parts of Rock a Little were also recorded in Dallas..

Last edited by DauphineMarie; 08-22-2015 at 08:43 PM..
Old 08-22-2015, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There's some articles about the club in this thread:

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...ghlight=starck
Old 08-24-2015, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool

It's also worth noting that Don Henley resides in Dallas to this day. Makes you wonder if he had any sort of influence on Stevie's presence there, and any associated connotations that brings up.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
It's also worth noting that Don Henley resides in Dallas to this day. Makes you wonder if he had any sort of influence on Stevie's presence there, and any associated connotations that brings up.
Hmm... I didn't know that! I knew Stevie lived in several places around Texas, and he was originally from East Texas, but I'm sure there was some interaction at some point. His album Building the Perfect Beast from 1984 wasn't recorded in Texas, but Waddy Wachtel, Lindsey, Benmont Tench, as well as Jim Keltner who did percussion on Buckingham Nicks participated in the album.. So it wouldn't be surprising if at some point during this time frame while she was in Dallas they didn't meet even through mutual projects.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Starck Club Final Party (Photo: WFAA)

DALLAS -- The music, socialites, and celebrities all added to the energy of the drug-fueled dance parties at a place called the Starck Club.

"The Starck Club was different," said Blake Woodall, the owner of the club. "It just stayed on the cutting-edge."

When the Starck Club opened its doors in 1984, people were shocked a club like that could exist in the heart of the Bible Belt.

"The whole thing was dressing up, celebrating life, being happy, and entering a place where you were in a safe zone," said Greg McCone, who was the general manager.

It was the first club where you could find gay people and straight people partying together in Dallas at a time when segregated clubs were the norm.

Michael Cain has just completed a documentary about the legendary club.

"What really attracted me was it was about tolerance and acceptance and transformation," Cain said.

On any given night, you could find the celebrity elite -- even conservatives ones -- mixing in with the rest.
Rebecca Lopez, WFAA (ABC) 1:37 PM. CDT March 16, 2016

http://www.wfaa.com/news/starck-club...allas/84580674

Starck Club brought hot club scene, drug culture to Dallas

"You might see Maurine Reagan and George Bush there on a given night, or Oliver Stone would have a party, or Prince would call and say he wanted to do something after a concert," McCone said. "It was so much fun."

South Dallas native Rob Van Winkle, more commonly known as early '90's rap icon Vanilla Ice, says the club was edgy and cool.

"I had a weekend [there] that lasted about four years," he told News 8.

Big names performed there. Grace Jones and Stevie Nicks were there on opening night.

The club, with it's top-notch DJs, brought Dallas to life.

"I would go in there and break dance and just listen to the music. It had great music," Vanilla Ice said. "It had multilevel floors and you could run around."

Woodall says he wanted to build a club like no other. He did, with the help of French designer Phillpe Starck.

"He said, 'Let's find something really, really nasty,' and we found a building in the railyards, where there were hobos, indigents, and people were in bad circumstances," Woodall said.

They transformed it, from the marble floors to the crystal wine glasses. But the most popular feature was the bathrooms, which were unisex.

"There were people that came to the club went to the restrooms, stayed two hours, and then went home -- never went to the club," McCone said.

And there there was the MDMA, a drug known as ecstasy. At the time the club opened, it was legal, and it was everywhere.

"Dallas was the headquarters of this drug being distributed," Cain said.

"The fact of the matter is the drug was a major contributor to the overall attitude everyone had in the room," McCone said.

The building will soon be demolished. But it won't erase the memories of an iconic time in the nightclub scene of yesterday.