Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default gripe

Okay, I finally got Lindsey's "Under the Skin," which I like A LOT. However, I noticed that, as usual, his lyrics are nothing special and, sometimes, pretentious. He mentions "visionary" with re: to himelf two or three times.

None of this really bothers me. I'll listen to "Under the Skin" again and again and enjoy it immensely. What bothers me is that Christine's "In the Meantime" got slammed critically for its lyric fixation on love and romance, whereas everyone hails Lindsey's music and quietly ignores or--occasionally--hails his lyrics.

If Chris had called herself a genius, maybe Rolling Stone would've reviewed her great solo record, too.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Okay, I finally got Lindsey's "Under the Skin," which I like A LOT. However, I noticed that, as usual, his lyrics are nothing special and, sometimes, pretentious. He mentions "visionary" with re: to himelf two or three times.
I, personally, like the way "visionary" rolls off his tongue...much in the same way as the other night on CMT with the words "righthere."

Enough of Lindsey...was "In the Meantime" ignored by the critics? Sorry if this is a well-known fact, but I really just don't know.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

None of this really bothers me. I'll listen to "Under the Skin" again and again and enjoy it immensely. What bothers me is that Christine's "In the Meantime" got slammed critically for its lyric fixation on love and romance, whereas everyone hails Lindsey's music and quietly ignores or--occasionally--hails his lyrics.

If Chris had called herself a genius, maybe Rolling Stone would've reviewed her great solo record, too.
I can't comment on Lindsey's solo album, since I haven't listened to it. But, alot of these critics unfortunately are probably pretty young. These young critics nowdays don't seem to care about song lyrics anymore. That may explain it.

I recently checked out Lindsey's album on Amazon to listen to the clips, since they're free. Some of the fan reviews are pretty brutal, surprisingly. So there may be a disconnect between some fans & the critics.

By the way, Rolling Stone did give a pretty favorable review to "acoustic Friend".
Old 12-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

Friend is a good song, acoustic or otherwise. I don't get why Chris would be slammed for her romantic lyrics. Isn't that how she's always written?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post

By the way, Rolling Stone did give a pretty favorable review to "acoustic Friend".
Yeah, I know this. I gues I'm still peeved that RS only paid attention to the single. The whole album deserved some treatment.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
I, personally, like the way "visionary" rolls off his tongue...much in the same way as the other night on CMT with the words "righthere."

Enough of Lindsey...was "In the Meantime" ignored by the critics? Sorry if this is a well-known fact, but I really just don't know.
Good point. I suppose the word does sound pretty good. And don't get me wrong, I love Under the Skin. But, yeah, RS and other major rags didn't even review In the Meantime, while a number of other places (ironically mostly in Britain) criticized her for writing, once again, about love. Who cares? Is the music good, does the song sound honest? Why expect someone to wrte a certain way?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He mentions "visionary" with re: to himelf two or three times.

i have nothing important to add on this topic, only that my friend & i had a bet prior to the release of UTS on how many times the word "vision" or any derivative thereof would be used in the lyrics. she won. i had guessed a much higher number. i was hoping it would be at least 8 or 9 so we could play a drinking game.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I
did they? i don't remember; my mind is like a sieve these days. is that review still around?
Old 12-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. He mentions "visionary" with re: to himelf two or three times.
Well if he said he is a visionary, that's really pretentious. I don't think anybody should say "I'm a visionary". What's a visionary? I guess somebody who "shows a new way", makes new standars, and got lot of succes. Walt Disney was a visionary. Many enterprise men are. Michael Jackson was not, though he could have been (btw, he explicitily said he is a visionary.. so studid).

Regardless if Lindsey said or not that he is,, I don't see him as a visionary. I see him as a good artist.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Good point. I suppose the word does sound pretty good. And don't get me wrong, I love Under the Skin. But, yeah, RS and other major rags didn't even review In the Meantime, while a number of other places (ironically mostly in Britain) criticized her for writing, once again, about love. Who cares? Is the music good, does the song sound honest? Why expect someone to wrte a certain way?
I remember that she was criticized in some of those reviews from Europe. But, there were some very nice reviews of the album in some of the mainstream U.S. publications like USA Today & People Magazine. It was those snooty, pretentious, artsy type critics that didn't like the album, although quite a few liked her voice though. Of course, those types of critics never like anything good anyway.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
did they? i don't remember; my mind is like a sieve these days. is that review still around?
Someone posted the review in this forum back when it first came out. It should still be here.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Someone posted the review in this forum back when it first came out. It should still be here.
I typed it out!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
^^

Friend is a good song, acoustic or otherwise. I don't get why Chris would be slammed for her romantic lyrics. Isn't that how she's always written?
it was a very key element to me in their whole vibe that made the trio of writers work -
linds and stevie are much hammier ( mmm ham ) and their stuff was much heavier - so christines underplayed romantic style was so refreshing . . . and sorely missed on SYW (cd and tour)- but im sure thats been mentioned before in here . . .

Quote:
Yeah, I know this. I gues I'm still peeved that RS only paid attention to the single. The whole album deserved some treatment.
didn't her songs rack up the most sales of all three of them from the f mac albums - ?
for god sakes the woman wrote some of the most memorable tunes of the era . . . just a smidgen of respect by giving her more than just one songs worth of review . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Well if he said he is a visionary, that's really pretentious. I don't think anybody should say "I'm a visionary".
i think he isn't saying "i'm a visionary"
i think he is saying "so-called" visions and visionary
or "they say im a visionary"

i think it is more him describing what it is like to be called that by people - yet not have the mass audience one would think came with that -
im not saying there isn't a kiss of pretensiosness in there somewhere but
i don't think he was saying [outloud ] that he believed it

and i would say he is arguably a "visionary" (
he has pushed the envelope with some success and some failures where many others in the business tend to stay in a certain box, but maybe
we can agree to call him at least a "forward thinker"

and i can't wait to finally hear the whole chris cd myself - i have heard four tracks and loved em
its on my christmas list this year - and i peaked and saw it crossed off so i know someone got it for me
Old 12-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

IMO one would have to listen to the words vision and visionary within the context of the song.

I am sorry if this has been discussed previously, but, I am curious, is it of popular opinion that the lack of sales for "In The Meantime" are/were due in part to Christine's absence from SYW?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:46 PM

personally i don't think any of the three have been great in the lyrics department...

however, i look at how simple Go Your Own Way is and I think... those are great lyrics... take away the fact that i've heard it 100000000000 times... and it's such a great tune...

same with Dreams... those lyrics are a little more complex.. but not much....

then Christine with her very straightforward approach....

they are not Tori Amos for sure