Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dreams and Say You Love Me
Old 08-30-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I agree, but two members of the current FM were on the original recording. I could easily see them doing it.
Mike would and could sing on that.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I just thought maybe you hadn't seen the description that said they were performing "2 Fleetwood Mac classics."
I did, which is why I could see them doing something like this. The media doesn't pay attention to much details when they write press releases or log lines. Basic fans won't even know that's not FMac.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 08-30-2018 at 07:39 AM..
Old 08-30-2018, 07:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
People being excited about seeing Fleetwood Mac does not mean they're celebrating the end of the Rumours 5. Although I was devastated when Lindsey left FM in 1987, I was still excited to hear how the 2 new members would fit in with the band. Same thing now, no difference.
I see a big difference, to me personally: In 1987, I had no clue who Billy Burnette and Rick Vito were, so not only was I mega-p*ssed that Lindsey wouldn't be touring with them - as this was going to be their first tour where I was actually old enough to buy tickets/attend - but they'd replaced him with two nobodies. I feel differently today: I'm still ticked off that Lindsey won't be there, but I'm a big fan of the two men they've chosen to replace him, so I'm much more interested in hearing "the new Mac" then I was in '87.

Like many fans, I pretty much ignored the band's output post-Tango until LB returned. But with Finn and Campbell on the roster, I'm intrigued. I'd rather it be the Rumours 5, but they've made my decision to stick with the band or dump them (again) much more difficult this time! So I'm curious to hear them next week.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Ledgie

I'm sure they will sound fine with Neil's vocals and Mike's guitar.

With that said, neither of these two have the energy and charisma of Lindsey Buckingham. Make no mistake, Lindsey has been carrying the band on his back in live performances since 1997. Neil seems like an intelligent and creative kind of guy. But from what I've seen, he's pretty laid back. Great for small and intimate venues, but not for large arenas. Mike just wants to play his guitar. He's never been the "leader".

So that leaves Christine and Stevie to fill the void. I think the world of Christine. But she is so frail. Remember, she's five years older than Lindsey and Stevie. At this point, she's just happy to be on stage. She doesn't have the energy or personality to lead the band. No doubt, Stevie now views herself as the leader of the band. Regrettably, she no longer has any range on her voice. And she's become so self centered and self obsessed, I can't bear to watch her. Her Music Cares speech was a real embarrassment. And judging from the body language of her band mates, they seem to agree.

For me, Fleetwood Mac is dead. I do look forward to Lindsey's upcoming tour.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g. fish View Post

With that said, neither of these two have the energy and charisma of Lindsey Buckingham. Make no mistake, Lindsey has been carrying the band on his back in live performances since 1997. Neil seems like an intelligent and creative kind of guy. But from what I've seen, he's pretty laid back. Great for small and intimate venues, but not for large arenas. Mike just wants to play his guitar. He's never been the "leader".

So that leaves Christine and Stevie to fill the void. I think the world of Christine. But she is so frail. Remember, she's five years older than Lindsey and Stevie. At this point, she's just happy to be on stage. She doesn't have the energy or personality to lead the band. No doubt, Stevie now views herself as the leader of the band. Regrettably, she no longer has any range on her voice. And she's become so self centered and self obsessed, I can't bear to watch her. Her Music Cares speech was a real embarrassment. And judging from the body language of her band mates, they seem to agree.

For me, Fleetwood Mac is dead. I do look forward to Lindsey's upcoming tour.
I agree. They will sound fine and sell tickets. Rick and Billy sold tickets errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the FMAC name sold tickets.

Like I said in an earlier post, they could play Stop Draggin on Ellen and most fans would not know the difference.

Christine stole the show during BTM tour. I thought $tevie looked like a zombie during the BTM tour. I give Rick and Billy a lot of credit. They rocked the house both tours.

If this is going to work, they better jam, otherwise... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 08-30-2018, 09:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g. fish View Post

Even as a big Neil Finn fan, I'd say this is a fair assessment. LB has been such a force on stage since I first got to see him live in the early 90s (both solo and with FM) - I don't know who is going to fill that energy void. Then again, I just saw Jeff Lynne's ELO last week and there wasn't exactly an abundance of energy from Lynne on stage, but the music was great. Like ELO, the Mac catalogue is strong enough to make a concert worthwhile even if we're just watching musicians singing/playing, without much/any hoopla. That's the hope, anyway.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love this spoof tweet posted by the fan @seeds_we_sow:

Quote:
Ellen to replace Stevie Nicks in Fleetwood Mac
A spokesman for Mick Fleetwood said, "In truthful language Stevie hit an impasse that had the muscle memory of not being hugely fun and her sensibilities came into play. We were just not happy in terms of the dynamics of a looking forwards moving backwards band." In a statement, Mick said, "Kudos to Stevie and her contributions within the ranks. Although this is just another lineup change and business as usual, we are delighted to welcome someone of the caliber of Ellen and we will be moving forward in true Fleetwood Mac style."

https://twitter.com/seeds_we_sow/sta...92054568984576
Old 08-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Landslide seems like a stretch, as far as spruiking a Buckfree lineup goes.
not really. she does it in her solo shows all the time
Old 08-30-2018, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Dreams and Say You Love Me

Your the third person in this thread to guess that pair so this post isn’t necessarily directed at you but it could be?

I would bet anyone this board that it’s not that combination of Songs. It can’t be if they’re trying to make any sort of impression on people. They could invent a time machine and bring back themselves from 1977 including Lindsey and say “just kidding, it’s the 5 of us on this tour” and that combination of songs still wouldn’t impress anyone. Those 2 songs are great But have never made me go WOW in any way after seeing one of them performed live. Redoing the SYLM arrangement was cool on The Dance but still wasn’t a WOW moment and neither would showcase Mike Campbell being a worthy replacement (please no need to chime in and say “we know he’s not already” ) those opinions are well known, I’m talking about for the masses who might be on the fence.

I’m not criticizing all of your picks, just saying if your right the band would be morons and I feel like they know they have to make a great impression to have any chance of not failing on this tour. At least Mick should be aware.

And I mean it when I say I’d bet that. Anyone who wants to take this bet (monetary or otherwise) PM me

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-30-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

Your the third person in this thread to guess that pair so this post isn’t necessarily directed at you but it could be?

I would bet anyone this board that it’s not that combination of Songs. It can’t be if they’re trying to make any sort of impression on people. They could invent a time machine and bring back themselves from 1977 including Lindsey and say “just kidding, it’s the 5 of us on this tour” and that combination of songs still wouldn’t impress anyone. Those 2 songs are great But have never made me go WOW in any way after seeing one of them performed live. Redoing the SYLM arrangement was cool on The Dance but still wasn’t a WOW moment and neither would showcase Mike Campbell being a worthy replacement (please no need to chime in and say “we know he’s not already” ) those opinions are well known, I’m talking about for the masses who might be on the fence.

I’m not criticizing all of your picks, just saying if your right the band would be morons and I feel like they know they have to make a great impression to have any chance of not failing on this tour. At least Mick should be aware.

And I mean it when I say I’d bet that. Anyone who wants to take this bet (monetary or otherwise) PM me
I'm doing the longshot of Stop Draggin and SYLM.

But, they are going to feature $tevie and Christine with mega hits. It's to promote the tour. And while not a WOW moment. (more like a gag moment for us). People are going to watch and go.. Oh yeah, I love those songs. I want to go see them.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. I would bet anyone this board that it’s not that combination of Songs.
What 2 songs do you think they will perform?
Old 08-30-2018, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guessed earlier in this thread Rhiannon and World Turnin

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-30-2018, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My original vote was Don't Stop and Landslide. I still think this is possible.

I have been convinced it could be Stop Draggin in place of Landslide. Mike was part of it, it's a nod to Tom (and Mike can sound a lot like Tom singing) and it's more upbeat that Landslide. However, do not underestimate the power of Landslide-- it's beloved, people play it at their weddings and at funerals and all that. It's an emotional touchstone for people. So like someone above said, it can very much remind people why they love FM and help sell tix.

World Turning has some chance since it ws mentioned by Neil Finn that they'd done it in a rehearsal and seemed to go well.

However, my money is still on Don't Stop because daytime tv, and especially Ellen, isn't about wowing hipsters with your new stuff; it's about luring in the fans of the classics.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 08-30-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I guessed earlier in this thread Rhiannon and World Turnin
I agree they will perform Rhiannon- besides being a theatrical song, it will also give the audience a chance to see Mike Campbell let loose. I used to think Little Lies would be the other song, as it could showcase their harmonies, but now I think they'll do Don't Stop, which also has some harmonies, plus it'll showcase Neil's singing (with plenty of support from Christine and Stevie).