The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've only seen "I Love You, Phillip Morris", which was actually pretty freakin' amazing and funny!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
In my opinion, 90% of gay themed films are atrocious. There was an episode of "Will & Grace" where both Will and Jack are helping Karen's nerdy cousin come out of the closet. I do believe one of them says, "Let me tell you a little secret that we try to keep within the community. Gay movies suck but until the laws change we're still obligated to go see 'em."

I must be a bad gay man because I've only seen one film on this list. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I've only seen Infamous, so we're in the same boat. Gay movies are generally dreadful.
That's cuz y'all haven't seen the movies on my list.

Check 'em out! Much pleasure ahead!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 07-06-2014 at 08:48 PM..
Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart The world of the heterosexual is a sick & boring life!

I have no interest in being the token gay in a group. With straight guys, it's just awkward. I have exactly one straight guy friend, and he is unusually feminist and gay-positive; also, he his main interests do not include sports and cars. And I'd get very annoyed very quickly with anything resembling a fag hag.

Yes, most gay-themed movies are terrible, but I watch then anyway (or at least try...there have more than a few that I've turned off in the first five minutes). Looking at a sea of straight people on the screen gets old after a while.

If this town had a gayborhood, I'd never leave it.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've only seen "I Love You, Phillip Morris", which was actually pretty freakin' amazing and funny!
That's the only movie on the list I've even heard of. I'll investigate the others, though.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I have no interest in being the token gay in a group. With straight guys, it's just awkward. I have exactly one straight guy friend, and he is unusually feminist and gay-positive; also, he his main interests do not include sports and cars. And I'd get very annoyed very quickly with anything resembling a fag hag.

Yes, most gay-themed movies are terrible, but I watch then anyway (or at least try...there have more than a few that I've turned off in the first five minutes). Looking at a sea of straight people on the screen gets old after a while.

If this town had a gayborhood, I'd never leave it.
I once told my best friend: "I don't like gay people." His response: "You don't like anyone." alas.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Date was a complete disaster, it's amazing how someone can be so charming over messages and then have the personality of a cardboard cut-out in person. So disappointing. Thankfully he realized that there was "no spark" so... don't have to go there again.

I only have two gay friends, a couple about 12 years older than me, but things aren't always entirely platonic. The majority of my friends are straight lasses, but I have a couple of straight guy friends too. I just don't tend to get along with other gay guys in a social standing. We always end up just... not getting along.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't understand sisters not wanting to be around sisters. At all.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't understand sisters not wanting to be around sisters. At all.
Well I was kind of humorously saying I don't want to be around anyone. But I seek out people with whom I have things in common, some shared sensibility or ideal or interest. Some of those people are gay and some are straight men and some are straight women. But I find in a crowd of gay people that I have almost nothing in common with them. I feel the same way in most crowds.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I used to actively pursue friends mainly with gay people. I used to find that with straight people, my gayness always ended up being "a thing", for better or for worse, and that was annoying as you've said, markolas. That seems to have changed a lot over the past few years, and I'm not sure if it's just that I'm older and the people I'm around are more experienced and used to things, or if people are simply different in the place I now live, but I really mainly have straight friends these days. Not by design or anything, that just seems to be how it's panned out.

Sorry about your date, Artemis. People are different in messages than in person, and it's something I wonder about regarding how it affects modern dating, which seems to begin with social media more often than not.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have no interest in being the token gay in a group. With straight guys, it's just awkward. I have exactly one straight guy friend, and he is unusually feminist and gay-positive; also, he his main interests do not include sports and cars.
Even though I'm usually the "token gay", I have surrounded myself with a fine set of the BEST straight guy friends. Like your friend, Markolas, they are all extremely gay friendly, artsy, nerdy, talented, intelligent and attractive...and not interested in sports whatsoever. They're all music buffs like myself. I couldn't have asked for a better group of buds.

On the other side, I have about 3 extremely close gay friends, but interestingly enough, all three friendships started after I had slept with all of them. Funny how that happens. It's like being sexually intimate brought as closer together to realize we should just be friends and nothing more.

I've got both straight AND gay girlfriends out the wazzoo!!! I've always felt more comfortable hanging with the girls, as most gay men do, in my experience.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Date was a complete disaster, it's amazing how someone can be so charming over messages and then have the personality of a cardboard cut-out in person. So disappointing. Thankfully he realized that there was "no spark" so... don't have to go there again.
Sorry to hear. Have a laugh on me...here is a little blog entry about the six months I spent trying out "OKCupid" a couple of years ago and being sooooo very disappointed with each boy's "real appearance and personality" versus the personality they projected on their profile. I'm very wary of dating sites now, because of this.

Hope you guys like it. I tried to use humor to quell the horror!

http://learningtobeastranger.blogspo...aayyy-off.html
Old 07-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry to hear. Have a laugh on me...here is a little blog entry about the six months I spent trying out "OKCupid" a couple of years ago and being sooooo very disappointed with each boy's "real appearance and personality" versus the personality they projected on their profile. I'm very wary of dating sites now, because of this.

Hope you guys like it. I tried to use humor to quell the horror!

http://learningtobeastranger.blogspo...aayyy-off.html
Horrifyingly cringey but quite entertaining. I lost it at the blue teeth. Thanks for sharing
Old 07-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never really saw a 'gay movie' I liked. Just not my thing. That said - I'm not a huge fan of movies in general, and a story has to be incredibly unusual or interesting for me to want to sit still long enough to watch it. Besides, I think my own life is more interesting. I don't have time to sit around vicariously living someone else's life.

My husband was watching Looking for a bit. Not sure if he stopped, or if he's in between seasons - I don't know. He's a TV junkie. I'm not. I sat through one episode and found it totally sterotypical. Guy wants to bang sexy foreign boss with an accent, but is bothered that said boss is in a relationship, yet continues to throw hints and innuendos. Then they do it anyway.

No offense intended to fans of Looking or of 'gay movies'.

I am 40, and have been with my husband since 2005. I think he's 'the one'. I was never much of a dater, though I have always enjoyed going out and meeting people. I can be the loner or the life of the party, and often swing back and forth between the two, probably dependent upon the moon or Mercury. I'm more the love-at-first-sight guy. Yes, I believe in fate and destiny - with options and intersections - and of course, karma. To quote Madonna - "future lovers hide love inside their eyes". Totally.

I love bars and clubs, as long as they aren't douchey. When I was 18, in 1992, there was no social media - no dating sites - no hookup apps - very few cell phones. If you wanted to meet guys you went out and met them in person. I sound like an old man, but that's ok. There was no being tricked by creative profile pictures. What you saw standing in front of you was pretty much what you got, minus the morning breath and bed-head.

I used to be vain beyond compare. Then...my hairline started creeping back, and the whole hipster thing came along, and I said 'fu*k it'. I don't know what it's like where all of you live, but in Denver, the gays and the hipsters are indistinguishabel from each other, and while skinny jeans, a beard, and orange sneakers with a green plaid shirt might look great on *that* guy, it's just not my thing.

These days, I've got too much to do and there is very little time for getting all pimped out and being a barfly. Home-ownership, gardening (my favorite hobby), hiking, camping, three cats and one dog, a husband who, even at age 35, couldn't find his way out of a paper bag, and of course - work. There's barely time to read a book, anymore. Sometimes I detest my own maturity and attention to responsibility, but I never miss the naivety (idiocy) of youth. On the few occasions I do watch TV, I'm a bit obsessed with ID (Investigation Discovery) and frankly, I'm lucky to be alive in retrospect. I look back at the fun, but totally stupid and irresponsible things I did as a younger man - I was totally naive and far too trusting - and I feel lucky to have emerged unscathed...except for being HIV+, which ironically, I didn't get from promiscuity but from someone I loved, who I thought I could trust. Then again, I could be dismembered and buried in a field somewhere..so...um...yeah. Be careful, guys.

I've always had a varied assortment of friends. Gay, straight, men, women, old, young - I have friends in their 60's and friends that aren't even old enough to drink yet. I like being the wise one, but I also like having wisdom handed down to me. The last thing I want is a circle of people just like me as friends. Boring.!

I'm definitely the Dorothy of my social circles, though.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 07-07-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Old 07-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I used to be vain beyond compare. Then...my hairline started creeping back, and the whole hipster thing came along, and I said 'fu*k it'.
You and me BOTH, my friend!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

I only have two gay friends, a couple about 12 years older than me, but things aren't always entirely platonic. The majority of my friends are straight lasses, but I have a couple of straight guy friends too. I just don't tend to get along with other gay guys in a social standing. We always end up just... not getting along.
Urgh, that sucks!!
The worst date I ever had was with a guy I had been chatting to for quite a while. Months, even. He was very charming and very dashing. He lived a few towns away, but not far. One day, he text to say he was in my town and could he call in and say hi, just to break the ice. "Why not", I thought. So he turned up and I got t'kettle on (being in t'north and all). He WAS charming and dashing. But he had the worst BO I have ever smelt on another person. It was AWFUL. It was so bad, I had to put the cushion covers from the sofa in the washing machine where he'd been sat just to shift the smell.

Thankfully, that was 5 years ago now and happy to report I finally found my prince charming. We've been together for a year and we moved in together in May - 2 homo's and a cat called Gypsy. Puurrrfect.

The only gay movie I've ever seen was "Beautiful Thing". Oh, and "Prick Up Your Ears", but that's not really a "gay movie". I do love the original british "Queer As Folk" series though. That was really the first time that the UK gay scene had been shown for exactly what it was at the time - filthy, dirty, sorded, cheap...but fabulous. It was so amazingly accurate and real.

Last edited by TheWILDheart; 07-08-2014 at 04:39 AM..