User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
That the Court creates these rights out of thin air is somewhat scary to me. In other words and thankfully, most of the cases seem to err on the side if creating some right that allows people to live in a freer manner. But, get enough Scalia's on the Court and that same "good thing" could turn against the currect line of thought.

Of course, the root of all this bruhaha is, once again, the far religious right, which cannot abide anyone not adhereing to their public, but likely not private, canonical life. Marriage is a good example. Why is it so important for the U.S. Govt. to sanction (with benefits and rights) any kind of marriage to the misfortune of those forms of marriages outside the traditional religious form? What would it hurt to delete marriage from any and all laws and instead allow people to determine what, where, and how, there property rights are determined when they die or while they are alive? The answer to me is so apparent that no harm will come -- but even mildly religious people seem to think God will be angered if the state does not sanction, for the most part, a rather incorrect form of Christianity. Sanctioning one religion over another or forcing someone to believe in a religion or denying someone benefits because they have a different or no religion flies in the face of most of the Bill of Rights, to wit:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

In the end, the religious busy bodies so concerned with the manner in which other people conduct their private, "sinful" lives should follow Jesus Himself's teaching about concentrating on your own sins and leaving God to do the judging. That concept is way too hard for the far religious right, despite Christ Himself setting it forth
How have we come to this? Why does the RR have so much power? We are supposed to be a free country so I thought. I think it's so crazy. I suppose it may be because there is so much more to fear these days and those people claim to have answers when people are desperate for some.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze View Post
How have we come to this? Why does the RR have so much power? We are supposed to be a free country so I thought. I think it's so crazy. I suppose it may be because there is so much more to fear these days and those people claim to have answers when people are desperate for some.
How about years of threatening the masses into submission Up until a few decades ago, the Roman Catholic Church (arguably the least offensive of the RR, which BTW mostly does not consider the RCC valid) was a ruling power, though and granted not as much as in the Middle Ages. In fact, it is widely asserted and mostly accepted that Pope John Paul II was the most influential figure in bringing about the fall of Communism in Europe. Why you ask - I submit it is all about money. The more in the flock, the more in the coffers.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How about years of threatening the masses into submission Up until a few decades ago, the Roman Catholic Church (arguably the least offensive of the RR, which BTW mostly does not consider the RCC valid) was a ruling power, though and granted not as much as in the Middle Ages. In fact, it is widely asserted and mostly accepted that Pope John Paul II was the most influential figure in bringing about the fall of Communism in Europe. Why you ask - I submit it is all about money. The more in the flock, the more in the coffers.
Yeah, they create a lot of the fear. People get into trouble when they make life choices out of fear. And you're right, it's about money. Whenever things don't seem to make sense, look for where the money's going. What a racket.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If you want to fill your pews, and therefore coffers, preach hate

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If you want to fill your pews, and therefore coffers, preach hate
Okay, I'm going to start godhatesidiots.com.