User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
But now it seems like Hillary must pay for the sins of everyone who was duped by George Bush.
Duped by a chimp with a 91 IQ who cannot complete a sentence?This does not bode well for her Presidency and I do not believe she is more electable than Obama ..she is a very polarizing candidate.

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 02-05-2008 at 03:02 AM..
Old 02-05-2008, 03:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And I thought she came off very well on Letterman Monday night.

- Jake
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Duped by a chimp with a 91 IQ who cannot complete a sentence?This does not bode well for her Presidency and I do not believe she is more electable than Obama ..she is a very polarizing candidate.
His IQ is 91? Where did you see his WAIS-R results. Moreover, last I checked, he compltes 99% of his sentences publicly uttered, thgough he had laid about 100 humdingers over the last eight years

Seriously, Hillary could not have voted against the US continuing inspections in Iraq. Remember, her husband and the D's were more than happry to bomb Iraq just a few years earlier and by all accounts (see all the unanimous UN declarations, resolutions, etc. for the prior 10 years) - Iraq was hiding something - remember SH kicked the UN out, but no one faults him for that - it's all W's fault. Thus, voting to continue the inspections was the right thing to do, at least according to unanimous world consent

I do not believe Hillary ever supported or votred for the premature canceling of the inspections and the rush to war, which is where W and his cronies went wrong.

In the end, I think Iraq cannot be summed up in a few sentences like "we should never have gone there" or something like that. I think that after 9/11, we could not afford to let SH fester, esp. when the world thought he had WMD. Put it this way, if someone on your block blew up your house and killed your family and you knew based on all intelligence that some unrelated other person also on your block who was your sworn enemy had explosives and had used them on you and your allies in the past - wouldn't you want someone at least to go there and make sure they no longer had those explosives? I know I would even though they had nothing to do with blowing up my house

To be clear, I think W and his cronies lied about the ending the inspections prematurely and rushing to war. I also think they botched the war from the beginning by not putting wnough troops on the ground. Interestingly, now that we have more troops on the ground, the tide is turning our way. Go figure. I also think W is a criminal and should be in jail. I despise his presidency.

Can Hillary be the one to unite? I doubt it. But, I do not think political unification of America is possible. So, I think she is the best choice as far as experience goes. She clearly has demonstrated he ability to cross the aisle as the junior senator from New York.

As for Obama, he talks a great game of change from the old ways, but he surrounds himself with old style players. Clearly, that is symbolic of something negative. Yet, people cannot see that, which amazes me. Obama does, however, most reflect my personal political ideals.

Finally, if Obama is the D nominee, I will vote for him. I do, however, think that if they were smart politicians (oxymoron I know) - it would be a Clinton/Obama ticket, which would be unbeatable, esp. against McCain, who IMO will be the R nominee.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
His IQ is 91? Where did you see his WAIS-R results. Moreover, last I checked, he compltes 99% of his sentences publicly uttered, thgough he had laid about 100 humdingers over the last eight years
He sounds & speaks like a simpleton.

Quote:
Can Hillary be the one to unite?
She ain't gonna unite me with her faction, that's for sure. She has always struck me -- in looks, speech & politics -- as the quintessential bureaucrat.

Quote:
But, I do not think political unification of America is possible.
Not only is it not possible (unless you mean it in its widest possible metaphorical sense) but it's a meaningless meme, to use the vogue word. It's a slogan, a platitude. It's designed to excite the emotions in some way, not to correspond to a demonstrable truth or to stand up to close verbal scrutiny.

Quote:
As for Obama, he talks a great game of change from the old ways, but he surrounds himself with old style players.
That's an excellent way to put it. Sadly but not surprisingly, it describes all the candidates in the two big parties -- every election since time immemorial.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

détente

I do submit, though, that anyone who could fly a fighter plane has an IQ greater than that alleged. However, it is possible the drug and booze abuse lessened the IQ over time.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
What I really want is for irrelevant stories about things like crying and lapel pins and haircuts to be ignored in favor of real issues.

As for Iraq, I don't think Obama can claim to be more anti-war than Hillary. He has funded the war at every opportunity. It was easy for him to be against the war when he had no vote to give, but upon becoming a senator he turned timid. Why would he fund what he called a "dumb war"?
Every Democrat gave John Kerry a pass on this issue in 2004. But now it seems like Hillary must pay for the sins of everyone who was duped by George Bush.

Well, would you rather he voted against funding? He shouldn't approve giving more money to the troops? We're there now, nothing we can do (under Bush) to get the hell out, so they'd better at least give the soldiers what they need to do their job. I'm not stupid, I know that money isn't going right to the troops or paying for equipment, but that's part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
He sounds & speaks like a simpleton.
I'd like to add "looks like a simpleton." Did you guys see him point and WINK at someone at his last state of the union?

Quote:
She ain't gonna unite me with her faction, that's for sure. She has always struck me -- in looks, speech & politics -- as the quintessential bureaucrat.
More than all the others?

Quote:
That's an excellent way to put it. Sadly but not surprisingly, it describes all the candidates in the two big parties -- every election since time immemorial.
I know. We can't really point a finger at any single candidate, it's damn near impossible not to have SOME sort of shady connection whether they know it or not.

I appreciate people being passionate about who they want to run, but I hope that if Obama wins the nomination, Hillary supporters won't say "well, forget this, I'm voting for McCain" or even not vote at all - then we're really f*cked. Same goes for Obama supporters if Hillary gets it.

Notice neither of them said "no" at the last debate when asked if they would consider running together.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone want to share with me H. Clinton's and B. Obama's views on gays?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's what I got from youngamericanvoters.com:

Obama:
Opposes same-sex marriage
Supports civil unions
Against a Constitutional ban on same-sex marriage

Clinton:
Voted against an amendment to define marriage as being between a man and a woman
Supports civil unions
Opposes same-sex marriage

The site is very, very basic, but you can compare & contrast the candidates based on specific issues.
http://www.youngamericanvoters.com/
Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Barack Obama refused to have his picture taken with pioneer for gay rights, San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom.

Quote:
"I gave a fundraiser, at his (Obama's) request at the Waterfront restaurant," said former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown. "And he said to me, he would really appreciate it if he didn't get his photo taken with my mayor. He said he would really not like to have his picture taken with Gavin."
. . . .
insiders at City Hall, both current and former members of Newsom's staff, recall the incident well. And you can bet that Newsom hasn't forgotten it either.

"He was pissed," said one former staffer.

In fact, early last year, Newsom alluded to the incident in an interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. Speaking to Reuters on Jan. 26, 2007, Newsom was asked about three potential Democratic candidates: Obama, Hillary Clinton and Al Gore.
. . . .
"One of the three Democrats you mentioned as presidential candidates, as God is my witness, will not be photographed with me, will not be in the same room with me," Newsom told Reuters, "even though I've done fundraisers for that particular person - not once, but twice - because of this issue."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BAM5US1B5.DTL

I am sure the Obamaniacs will be able to spin this as a bold and righteous move by their favorite.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ I'm more concerned with the way he's voted on issues & what he says now than who he didn't have his pic taken with 4 or 5 years ago. I'm not trying to spin in, it's just not a priority in my decision making - too much of this "he said, she said" bull**** & finger-pointing & "yeah, but he did this & that" is what makes people not want to bother researching the candidates or watching the debates. Unless he was quoted as saying "I hate gay people" or "I'm not taking a picture with that faggot," then I don't care.

I've said it before, I'm fine with either democratic candidate & will support whoever gets the nod. I don't dislike Hillary, but I'm leaning toward Obama. It bothers me slightly that Hillary keeps slamming him for not having a health plan that will cover all Americans (Obama's would be offered to all Americans who can't otherwise get/afford health insurance, but doesn't mandate that everyone have it & penalize them for turning it down like Clinton's plan would) but my shock & disgust that McCain has NO plan far outweighs my annoyance with the pissing contest among the Dems.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
^ I'm more concerned with the way he's voted on issues & what he says now than who he didn't have his pic taken with 4 or 5 years ago. . . . .
These people are running his campaign - so it is more than just having his pic taken with them.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
These people are running his campaign - so it is more than just having his pic taken with them.
Who is running his campaign? What do you mean, "these people?"
Old 02-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Anyone want to share with me H. Clinton's and B. Obama's views on gays?
http://www.ontheissues.org/Hillary_Clinton.htm

Hillary Clinton on Civil Rights
Click here for 37 full quotes on Civil Rights OR 3 older headlines OR other candidates on Civil Rights OR background on Civil Rights.
MLK recognized that working within the system was necessary. (Jan 2008)
1962: met MLK Jr. preaching a sermon in Chicago. (Jul 2007)
1965: brought black classmates to all-white church. (Jul 2007)
We've come a long way on race, but we have a long way to go. (Jun 2007)
1995: Politely criticized China's human rights. (Jun 2007)
1988: Instituted gender diversity Report Card within ABA. (Jun 2007)
Developmental thread: tragedy of race must be made right. (Jun 2007)
Pushing for privacy bill of rights. (Jun 2006)
Argued with Bill Clinton about diluting affirmative action. (Oct 2005)
1972: Worked with Edelman on school desegregation in South. (Nov 2003)
Apologize for slavery, but concentrate on civil rights now. (Oct 2000)
Crack down on sex trafficking of women and girls. (Jan 2000)
Human rights are women’s rights. (Jan 2000)
Women’s rights are human rights. (Dec 1999)
Support National Endowment for the Arts. (Feb 1997)
Affirmative living: involve entire village against racism. (Sep 1996)
Sex selection, prostitution & war rape: human rights issues. (Sep 1995)
Gay Rights
Telling kids about gay couples is parental discretion. (Sep 2007)
Positive about civil unions, with full equality of benefits. (Aug 2007)
Let states decide gay marriage; they're ahead of feds. (Aug 2007)
GLBT progress since 2000, when I marched in gay pride parade. (Aug 2007)
Supports DOMA, which Bill Clinton signed. (Jul 2007)
Don't ask don't tell was an important transition step. (Jun 2007)
2004:defended traditional marriage; 2006:voted for same-sex. (May 2007)
Federal Marriage Amendment would be terrible step backwards. (Oct 2006)
Gay soldiers need to shoot straight, not be straight. (Nov 2003)
End hate crimes and other intolerance. (Sep 2000)
Gays deserve domestic partnership benefits. (Feb 2000)
Military service based on conduct, not sexual orientation. (Dec 1999)
Voting Record
Op-ed: Voted no on flag-burning to build centrist credential. (May 2006)
Voted NO on recommending Constitutional ban on flag desecration. (Jun 2006)
Voted NO on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage. (Jun 2006)
Voted YES on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes. (Jun 2002)
Voted YES on loosening restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. (Oct 2001)
Rated 60% by the ACLU, indicating a mixed civil rights voting record. (Dec 2002)
Rated 89% by the HRC, indicating a pro-gay-rights stance. (Dec 2006)
Rated 96% by the NAACP, indicating a pro-affirmative-action stance. (Dec 2006)

http://www.ontheissues.org/Barack_Obama.htm

Barack Obama on Civil Rights
Click here for 36 full quotes on Civil Rights OR other candidates on Civil Rights OR background on Civil Rights.
2004 DNC speech merged "heritage" with "diversity". (Dec 2007)
The politics of fear undermines basic civil liberties. (Oct 2007)
Racial equality good for America as a whole. (Jun 2007)
Put the Confederate flag in a museum, not the state house. (Apr 2007)
Muslim heritage gives Obama unique influence in Muslim world. (Oct 2006)
No black or white America--just United States of America. (Oct 2006)
Forthright on racial issues and on his civil rights history. (Jul 2004)
Defend freedom and equality under law. (May 2004)
Politicians: don't use religion to insulate from criticism. (Apr 2004)
Miscegenation a felony in 1960 when Obamas practiced it. (Aug 1996)
The civil rights movement was a success. (Aug 1996)
Affirmative Action
Benefited from affirmative action but overcame via merit. (Dec 2007)
Include class-based affirmative action with race-based. (Oct 2007)
Better enforce women's pay equity via Equal Pay Act. (Aug 2007)
African-Americans vote Democratic because of issue stances. (Jul 2004)
Supports affirmative action in colleges and government. (Jul 1998)
Gay Rights
Being gay or lesbian is not a choice. (Nov 2007)
Decisions about marriage should be left to the states. (Oct 2007)
Homosexuality no more immoral than heterosexuality. (Oct 2007)
Ok to expose 6-year-olds to gay couples; they know already. (Sep 2007)
Has any marriage broken up because two gays hold hands? (Aug 2007)
We need strong civil unions, not just weak civil unions. (Aug 2007)
Legal rights for gays are conferred by state, not by church. (Aug 2007)
Disentangle gay rights from the word "marriage". (Aug 2007)
Gay marriage is less important that equal gay rights. (Aug 2007)
Gay rights movement is somewhat like civil rights movement. (Aug 2007)
Let each denominations decide on recognizing gay marriage. (Jul 2007)
Supports health benefits for gay civil partners. (Oct 2006)
Opposes gay marriage; supports civil union & gay equality. (Oct 2006)
Marriage not a human right; non-discrimination is. (Oct 2004)
Include sexual orientation in anti-discrimination laws. (Jul 1998)
Voting Record
Strengthen the Americans with Disabilities Act. (Aug 2007)
Voted NO on recommending Constitutional ban on flag desecration. (Jun 2006)
Voted NO on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage. (Jun 2006)
Rated 89% by the HRC, indicating a pro-gay-rights stance. (Dec 2006)
Rated 100% by the NAACP, indicating a pro-affirmative-action stance. (Dec 2006)

Old 02-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Who is running his campaign? What do you mean, "these people?"
I posted a link earlier in the thread you started about voting - pay attention

It is post #8 in the "Lesser of Two Evils Thread" to wit:

This questions more than the obvious IMO. People will vote for Obama because he is black - South Carolina proved that. I cannot say I blame them. Ditto for Hillary and women - the primaries are proving that. On the R side, the situation is the same. People cannot vote for a pro choice and/or gay sympathetic person. They can be down the line conservative in fiscal policy, but the loathing of anti-Jesus baby muerders and faggot lovers is too much to overcome. So, I think party line voters are in a little trouble in this upcoming election - or, at least in the primaries.

Personally, I think that anyone who things Obama can or wants to make significant changes is deluding themselves. His actions to date and the people he surrounds himself with in his campaign prove my point ( http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-t..._a_lobb_1.html ). But, he is intelligent, energetic, and inspiring, not to mention electrifyingly charismatic - so, I think people are beguiled by that. I am not saying I do not think he would be a good President. I think he would. And, I will vote for him against anything the R's have now. But, call it the jaded voice of experience, Obama's seemingly earnest claim that he is the avenue for significant change is bogus. Put it this way, since I have been alive, every single President has been the candidate for BIG change and the lobbyist still run Washington and Big Oil's a$$ is wiped by the Congress.

So, I think both scenarios you posit will happen and they are equally was awful. But, it is what it is and in the end, you have to vote for the candidate you like. In this particular election, that will be divided on Christian, race, and gender lines - and IMO regardless of the actual effectiveness of any candidate.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 02-05-2008 at 01:21 PM..
Old 02-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I posted a link earlier in the thread you started about voting - pay attention
I am paying attention, I just usually don't bother clicking your links.