The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Is this a cold? Or some type of flu?

I'm coughing a little. Not a productive cough, more like a tickly cough. But, I've been nauseous all day and I've noticed alot of mucuous in the back of my throat, probably dripping down my throat into my stomach and making me nasueous. Also, very tired today, and chilly but not enough to read as a 'temp'. But I'm senstitive to these things. Tell me this isn't the flu.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I'm coughing a little. Not a productive cough, more like a tickly cough. But, I've been nauseous all day and I've noticed alot of mucuous in the back of my throat, probably dripping down my throat into my stomach and making me nasueous. Also, very tired today, and chilly but not enough to read as a 'temp'. But I'm senstitive to these things. Tell me this isn't the flu.
I'm no doctor, but I always associate a fever, chills, and body aches with the flu. Anyway, I hope you're feeling better soon and that it's *not* the flu but some nasty bug that will pass through quickly.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

are you achy all over?

a few weeks ago I started off with just a tickle in the back of my throat. developed into a full blown cough with production anyway, it was bronchitis, and I had full body aches and a temperature that didn't break for 2 days. I was in bed screaming/begging someone to just shoot me. everything for the most part stayed in my chest and I had this awful cough that would NOT go away. lasted 10-12 days. still have a bit of a cough even now.

the only 3 things that helped:
cough syrup to knock me out
mucinex
chest rub

i can't tell you if you have th flu because

a. i've never had it (that i know of...but that came just about as close as i think you'd come)
b. i'm not a doctor

but either way, hope you get to feeling better soon

btw. i doubt it's just a cold. i don't usually have temp/fever and achiness with a cold. just an annoying runny nose that bugs the **** out of me.

the nausea is probably from swallowing the drainage
Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sounds more like sinusitis or seasonal allergies to me. The mucus running down the back of your throat is post-nasal drip. Any headache or tenderness over your cheeks/forehead, or stuffy head? If not, and if you're not running a fever, I'd lean more toward allergies than sinusitis. And like you said, you're probably nauseous from swallowing the mucus. Any sore throat or pain with swallowing? Tonsils look enlarged or bright red? Swollen lymph nodes in your neck?

Like others have said, it doesn't really sound like the flu. You'd most likely be febrile and have generalized muscle aches and weakness and overall feel like crap run over twice if it were.

That being said, who knows. If you're not feeling any better in the next couple of days, it might be prudent to go to the doc to have them check you out for sure. If it's allergies you may need to be put on something like Allegra or Claritin as well as an inhaled steroid like Flonase or Nasonex -- they work wonders IMO. And you don't have to stay on them year-round. If it's something you get every year around the same time(s) you can start the meds up a few weeks before you anticipate your symptoms will start in order to try to avoid ever feeling ill.

Hope you get to feeling better soon. That was my Ledgie "I found this thread interesting so I thought I'd reply" reply and not physician counsel.

Brad
Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah that seems to be going around. I've been on/off sick since Christmas! It's aggravating cause I'll feel great for 2-3 days and then feel in the gutter for another 4 days...start to get better again (over the mucuousy cough thing) and then it comes back. Very bizarre. Bird flu is gonna kill us all!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 07:29 AM

hope u feel better... i have serious jet lag... oh to be able to sleep at nite....

but hey i got all my laundry done
Old 02-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From the CDC:

Symptoms
Influenza illness can include any or all of these symptoms: fever, muscle aches, headache, lack of energy, dry cough, sore throat, and possibly runny nose. The fever and body aches can last 3-5 days and the cough and lack of energy may last for 2 or more weeks. Influenza can be difficult to diagnose based on clinical symptoms alone because the initial symptoms of influenza can be similar those caused by other infectious agents including, but not limited to, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, adenovirus, respiratory syncytial virus, rhinovirus, parainfluenza viruses, and Legionella spp.

There is a lot of flu going around this year (well, there is here anyway) and it's typically the high fever, body aches, and fatigue that we're hearing about.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe it's not the flu, because I'm not really having a temp. I was chilly yesterday, but it didn't register. Sore throat? Check. Today, I'm at work and am fine except for the persistent nausea, which is likely from the secretions running down my alimentary canal- which is really a lovely visual and I hope you appreciated my sharing.

I'm sipping lots of hot tea with no milk, and cool (not cold) water.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ I highly doubt it's flu if you don't have a fever & severe generalized body aches. Your dripping snot is most likely burning the back of your throat, causing pain. Same with he nausea - it's the snot.

Keep doing what you're doing, and add some honey to your tea. Good job on avoiding dairy - blech. Low dose ibuprofen for the pain/inflammation in your throat unless you're allergic (if you're too nauseous, Tylenol will do for the pain.) Might want to get some over the counter Mucinex to help thin out & drain the snot - avoid Sudafed & the like, it just dries everything out & lets it sit there.