User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-30-2023, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
From the few Peter Green songs I remember, my favorite is Man of the World.
I like that one, too.

When I got the 5 disc set, I listened to Then Play On at least a dozen times, TRYING to like it. Nope.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I like that one, too.

When I got the 5 disc set, I listened to Then Play On at least a dozen times, TRYING to like it. Nope.
Really? I think that and Kiln House are amazeballs.

Of the 71-74 albums, I rank Future Games and Bare Trees on the same level — both VERY good albums, each with its own distinct character. Future has brighter (for the most part), softer (for the most part), rambling songs, whereas Bare Trees is more concise, often harder, and frequently moodier. But the quality is neck and neck.

Penguin is my favorite of that period. Christine’s songs are real treats and none of Bob’s songs disappoint, Night Watch being my favorite. My only gripe is not Dave Walker but that the album is too short. Two more songs, one from McVie and Welch respectively would’ve done it.

Mystery is long, solid, and often quite good, but for me it lacks some undefinable energy or quality Penguin has—and it’s not as well engineered: the former is sonically satisfying but the latter, while slicker, sounds too close to the speakers. Only Miles Away and Why benefit from the engineering…

Heroes is my least favorite, primarily because the mix is muddy and the overall energy seems lacking. But the songs themselves are impressive. The band just sounds exhausted. The title track, Silver Heels, and Bad Loser are exceptions.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 12-30-2023 at 05:22 PM..
Old 12-31-2023, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Kiln House is awful. Give it a miss.
Happy New Year xxx

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-01-2024, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Kiln House is awful. Give it a miss.
Happy New Year xxx
Station Man rocks and the album cover is awesome (Chris).
I do think the band drifted in finding its way after Peter left. They were finding their sea legs after Peter left. That is why for Chris and Bob joining for the next album was just as dramatic as Lindsey and Stevie joining. The band no longer had its leader (Peter Green) but had now 2 fantastic song writers that also started to harmonize. No doubt Kiln House was the transition album. Its not my favorite either. Chris was the most pivotal member to join other than Peter (since he founded the band). She added musical layers but also for her song writing. She was writing and singing the blues but her craft would transform into one of the best pop song writers ever.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-01-2024 at 07:16 AM..
Old 01-02-2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Really? I think that and Kiln House are amazeballs.

Of the 71-74 albums, I rank Future Games and Bare Trees on the same level — both VERY good albums, each with its own distinct character. Future has brighter (for the most part), softer (for the most part), rambling songs, whereas Bare Trees is more concise, often harder, and frequently moodier. But the quality is neck and neck.

Penguin is my favorite of that period. Christine’s songs are real treats and none of Bob’s songs disappoint, Night Watch being my favorite. My only gripe is not Dave Walker but that the album is too short. Two more songs, one from McVie and Welch respectively would’ve done it.

Mystery is long, solid, and often quite good, but for me it lacks some undefinable energy or quality Penguin has—and it’s not as well engineered: the former is sonically satisfying but the latter, while slicker, sounds too close to the speakers. Only Miles Away and Why benefit from the engineering…

Heroes is my least favorite, primarily because the mix is muddy and the overall energy seems lacking. But the songs themselves are impressive. The band just sounds exhausted. The title track, Silver Heels, and Bad Loser are exceptions.
Heroes and Mystery are my fav's. Then FG and BT, then Penguin.

Having said that, I love Christine's music on Penguin. Especially the opening track, Remember Me which gives it a vibe.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In order….

Mystery to Me
Bare Trees
Future Games
Heroes Are Hard to Find
Penguin
Kiln House

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-02-2024, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Heroes and Mystery are my fav's. Then FG and BT, then Penguin.

Having said that, I love Christine's music on Penguin. Especially the opening track, Remember Me which gives it a vibe.
Bravo! It's nice to see some love for Heroes. I swear that album does not get much love around here.
While there are Chris songs on earlier albums that I like more, she brings 4 aces. Her over all song contribution is stronger than all earlier albums. We get 4 radically different songs. One traditional love ballad. One bluesy scorned song. One angry song. One song that was actually re-edited and released as a single. Even though the title track did not chart, this was a real change. Bermuda Triangle is on this album too. I do miss some of Weston's elements but this album is right up there with Mystery without a doubt. With the band or record company editing and releasing a single shows how much confidence they had in this album. No surprise it was the highest charting pre-1975 album in the states. I love how different all the songs are. I think Chris was proud of it too stating in 1982 she wanted to re-record Prove Your Love with Stevie and Lindsey.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-02-2024 at 05:48 PM..
Old 01-03-2024, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think Chris was proud of it too stating in 1982 she wanted to re-record Prove Your Love with Stevie and Lindsey.
I added that to my fake album track list on the other thread. Fleetwood Mac could have done it again. That damn band blew it. But maybe they figured they’d rather squeeze new songs out of the ol’ gal.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-03-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Bravo! I love how different all the songs are. I think Chris was proud of it too stating in 1982 she wanted to re-record Prove Your Love with Stevie and Lindsey.
I don't remember her saying that. That would have been grand! Especially as a B side or something.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I don't remember her saying that. That would have been grand! Especially as a B side or something.
I learned that here from FuzzyPlum. When Jim Ladd died I was trying to find out if he ever interviewed Chris when she was solo. I found a very old thread here discussing a 1982 Mirage interview he did with the band. Supposedly Jim asked Chris if there was an older Mac tune that she would ever like to re-record again and she said Prove Your Love. I tried so hard to find the audio but it seems not to be on youtube. But if we can't trust Fuzzy, who can we trust? The Ledge is a wealth of Fleetwood Mac knowledge.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I added that to my fake album track list on the other thread. Fleetwood Mac could have done it again. That damn band blew it. But maybe they figured they’d rather squeeze new songs out of the ol’ gal.
Thanks for playing

You know where Prove Your Love would have shoed right in? On Mirage.

Replace Love In Store with Prove Your Love, and while you're at it replace Straight Back with Smile At You. The mirage would become a true oasis.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Thanks for playing

You know where Prove Your Love would have shoed right in? On Mirage.

Replace Love In Store with Prove Your Love, and while you're at it replace Straight Back with Smile At You. The mirage would become a true oasis.
NO
Love In Store stays
shoe it in place of Oh Diane
Old 01-03-2024, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
NO
Love In Store stays
shoe it in place of Oh Diane
oo yes that could work. and I'd keep Straight Back but replace Empire State with Smile At You. But then poor LB wouldn't have many songs on mirage lol...i do not care for his songs on that album.

--Lis
Old 01-03-2024, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
oo yes that could work. and I'd keep Straight Back but replace Empire State with Smile At You. But then poor LB wouldn't have many songs on mirage lol...i do not care for his songs on that album.

--Lis
With the exception of Oh Diane, Mirage is my FAVORITE collection of LB songs. Can't Go Back, Book of Love, Empire State? Love, love, LOVE! Aural candy!
Old 01-03-2024, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
With the exception of Oh Diane, Mirage is my FAVORITE collection of LB songs. Can't Go Back, Book of Love, Empire State? Love, love, LOVE! Aural candy!
OK Book of Love i'll keep the others just don't grab me. FWIW I disliked his stuff on Tango too...Family Man is a nightmare that goes on far too long lol

--Lis