Oh Diane 0 0%
Eyes Of The World 4 17.39%
Wish You Were Here 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2023, 04:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Best Lindsey solo outros on Mirage

Which are your favorite and least favorite Lindsey solo outros on Mirage?
Old 07-24-2023, 06:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

"Gypsy", "Book of Love", "Hold Me", and "Eyes of the World" have the best guitar solo outros. There aren't really any outros I dislike (even Oh Diane's is somewhat pleasant)
Old 07-24-2023, 07:30 AM

Wow, those are all pretty damn good! I like Eyes the best at this moment.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Sophie's Choice
They are all brilliant. I went out on a limb and voted for Only Over You. That jam at the end is probably the most underrated piece of music the Mac ever recorded. Micks slow drum roll, and Lindsey's picking is just too much!

Yes Gypsy would be the fan favorite for sure and I can't disagree. That song is all Lindsey.

His jam at the end of Love In Store live in concert is an honorable mention too. Straight back is brilliant too.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-24-2023 at 07:55 AM..
Old 07-24-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Sophie's Choice
They are all brilliant. I went out on a limb and voted for Only Over You. That jam at the end is probably the most underrated piece of music the Mac ever recorded. Micks slow drum roll, and Lindsey's picking is just too much!

Yes Gypsy would be the fan favorite for sure and I can't disagree. That song is all Lindsey.

His jam at the end of Love In Store live in concert is an honorable mention too. Straight back is brilliant too.
Weirdly, Only Over You outro reminds me of ALAYF sort of vibe. That vibe me think of her in both cases. I love it too. It's why I love OOY so much.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

I usually skip "Only Over You" when playing Mirage, so it took me this long to finally appreciate the unique guitar tone found on the song's outro.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
I usually skip "Only Over You" when playing Mirage, so it took me this long to finally appreciate the unique guitar tone found on the song's outro.
You kind of start loving that outro... then you kind of realize, "oh my this is a beautiful piece of music." Ache and all...
Old 07-24-2023, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
When I bought Mirage in 1983 it was my least favorite song. I almost hated it and was one of the few songs I would skip on Mirage. One day while the album was playing my mother (who was never really into my music) told me what a beautiful song it was. It was then I gave it a second chance but still no. I could never get over how the vocal started the song. It was not until many years later that the song grew on me. Its such a warm lullaby song, written and sung from the heart. But the jam at the end just is so good. Its in my top list of Mirage songs. Its just so dreamy. Its sort of like Warm Ways that its so mushy. The overdubs are over the top too.
Its sister song is Ask Anybody. Both inspired by the same person with the same dilemma. "They say, I'm a silly girl but I' not a fool" "He's a devil and an angel. They say I should walk out, but that's not what I want"
Its typical McVie falling madly in love with a guy who is not all that great to her.
The ending is one of my favorite jams the Mac has ever done.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-24-2023 at 11:36 AM..
Old 07-24-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
When I bought Mirage in 1983 it was my least favorite song. I almost hated it and was one of the few songs I would skip on Mirage. One day while the album was playing my mother (who was never really into my music) told me what a beautiful song it was. It was then I gave it a second chance but still no. I could never get over how the vocal started the song. It was not until many years later that the song grew on me. Its such a warm lullaby song, written and sung from the heart. But the jam at the end just is so good. Its in my top list of Mirage songs. Its just so dreamy. Its sort of like Warm Ways that its so mushy. The overdubs are over the top too.
Its sister song is Ask Anybody. Both inspired by the same person with the same dilemma. "They say, I'm a silly girl but I' not a fool" "He's a devil and an angel. They say I should walk out, but that's not what I want"
Its typical McVie falling madly in love with a guy who is not all that great to her.
The ending is one of my favorite jams the Mac has ever done.
Mother knows best.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great post! I voted for Gypsy but I have to say they are all amazing as is LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM!
Old 07-24-2023, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Love In Store
I find this outro as tepid as the song, but it's a nice guitar tone, and I like the low notes.
BTW although Can't Go Back also has a slight guitar outro, I excluded it because poll options are limited to 10 songs.

Book Of Love
This is an absolute standout in my "book"--very glad to see it get some votes despite the hot competition! A searing sound like that heard in Countdown. Guitar acrobatics, beautifully integrated into the rhythms of the song.

Gypsy
Was tempted to exclude this from the poll since I feared its popularity would be a fait accompli and was curious to see how the other tracks would fare without it. But it's an iconic outro and deserves the acclaim. As I recall, Lindsey recorded it using two separate recordings played on top of each other, a technique I think he often uses for outros.

Only Over You
Agree 100% with WalkAThinLine.

Empire State
Short and punchy, though no masterpiece. A little bit erratic, like the oddball, jangly song that precedes it.

Straight Back
I find this outro to be a bit hazy, like Lindsey is "playing on top of the music" rather than the guitar forming a part of the structure, his preferred approach. Then again, the entire song doesn't do anything for me and I guess that colors one's opinions of its discrete elements as well.

Hold Me
This probably should be 3 stars. It's a virtuoso outro that kind of gets shadowed by the strong catchy song; they're still singing the chorus over the outro so it doesn't fully get the limelight it deserves. Also I more heavily associate the song as a whole with piano, due to the start and that piano interlude.

Oh Diane
Deceptively simple yet memorable, like the outro of Trouble, but too short to amount to much.

Eyes Of The World
Has to be my favorite. Fun, boisterous, and searing. And are there many other FM songs that have such a loud and definitive full stop at the end of the outro? (Compare Sisters of the Moon, where we can hear it grind to a halt but only after it has faded considerably.)

Wish You Were Here
Never been a fan of the song, but what an outro--and not just the guitar but a classic FM full-band effort, as mentioned by others.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
[B]
Straight Back
I find this outro to be a bit hazy, like Lindsey is "playing on top of the music" rather than the guitar forming a part of the structure, his preferred approach. Then again, the entire song doesn't do anything for me and I guess that colors one's opinions of its discrete elements as.
The original CASSETTE version I bought of Mirage didn't have all the guitar soloing at the end of SB. Years later, when I bought the cd, I was so shocked to hear those parts I'd never heard before.
Old 07-24-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
The original CASSETTE version I bought of Mirage didn't have all the guitar soloing at the end of SB. Years later, when I bought the cd, I was so shocked to hear those parts I'd never heard before.
I bought the album on release then recorded it. I believe it had the solos. Can't quite remember.
Old 07-25-2023, 03:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I bought the album on release then recorded it. I believe it had the solos. Can't quite remember.
My album also had the solos. When I bought the CD 12 years later I did not notice a difference.

This thread is fascinating because you could not limit this to Mirage. Some of his endings are frustrating because once he starts to get cooking, the song fades out. Songs like Tango In The Night, Family Man, The Smile I Live For, Isn't It Midnight - I wish there were at least 30 more seconds of his play. Even solo songs like Doing What I Can just fade out this incredible guitar playing that just starts. Its always been a frustration of mine. My favorite songs are when Lindsey jams.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-25-2023 at 05:29 AM..
Old 07-25-2023, 04:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
This thread is fascinating because you could not limit this to Mirage.
I plan to do more in the future.