Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rumours Deluxe Edition question

I just noticed this the other day and wanted to know if anyone else noticed it; the live CD that came with the Rumours Deluxe Edition a few years back- at the beginning of the Concert that was recorded during the Rumours tour, Tusk is playing in the background. Tusk, of course, was recorded years after Rumours was released, so my question is, how could it have been played during this concert? Was Tusk the song something Lindsey had well before Tusk the album? Or was the introduction recorded at a different concert and year than the live CD?

Any ideas?
Old 09-06-2023, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey, John, and Mick used to warm up a bit right before the opening song by playing this riff — which became “Tusk.” For example, listen to the lead-in from Osaka, Japan, in December 1977:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBwWIvDUSb8

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-06-2023, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you David! I’m really glad to learn this. I was afraid somebody put Tusk on there by mistake, or whatever. Neat to hear the song had been in the works for a while.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thank you David! I’m really glad to learn this. I was afraid somebody put Tusk on there by mistake, or whatever. Neat to hear the song had been in the works for a while.
You've not read Mick's first book?

And you call yourself a fan.....
Old 09-07-2023, 05:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You've not read Mick's first book?

And you call yourself a fan.....
I did read it! But I don’t remember any specific mention of this. That’s pretty impressive Mick thought to mention it.

I wish Mick had mentioned more of how the band came up with their setlist, and maybe why some songs didn’t make the cut. I remember an interview with Rick Vito, for example, talking about why Sara was dropped during his time with the band.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I never read any of Mick’s revised/updated books… did I miss anything?
Old 09-07-2023, 05:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I did read it! But I don’t remember any specific mention of this. That’s pretty impressive Mick thought to mention it.

I wish Mick had mentioned more of how the band came up with their setlist, and maybe why some songs didn’t make the cut. I remember an interview with Rick Vito, for example, talking about why Sara was dropped during his time with the band.
Mick talks so much about Tusk in his first book. The inspiration for the marching band and how the band always warmed up playing it and putting it all together.
You read the book but skipped the pages that did not have the word Stevie on them
Old 09-07-2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Mick talks so much about Tusk in his first book. The inspiration for the marching band and how the band always warmed up playing it and putting it all together.
You read the book but skipped the pages that did not have the word Stevie on them
bwboy read the book while twirling, that why it was missed..
Old 09-07-2023, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
bwboy read the book while twirling, that why it was missed..
Ya’ll are ruthless savages
Old 09-07-2023, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Ya’ll are ruthless savages
I think jbrownsjr and Macfan4life are just joking around with me… or they’re just being passive-aggressive when they tell me in every thread I comment on that I’m a chiffon head. The implication being that my opinions or comments don’t have any weight, even on subjects or posts that weren’t about Stevie. Kind of like this post here that I created, for example, where I was asking about the Tusk riff that was played right before a Rumours concert. I can never tell, but hopefully it’s intended in good fun. It could also be I’m sensitive or misinterpreting things. It probably varies day to day for me lol. Thanks to David for explaining it to me, btw.

I genuinely like the posts here, from the questions I’ve never thought of before- what would have been a good 5th single from Rumours was a great thread, and I loved reading the different answers- to reading about new projects or events coming out. Admittedly, there’s nothing now, but we have the rerelease of Christine’s 1984 album coming in November, which I’m very excited about, even though I already have it on CD and had it on vinyl and cassette years ago. So it’s worth the ribbing to come here when I get info like that.
Old 09-07-2023, 10:03 PM

Just having fun and trying to make you laugh as always BwBoy... I know you only twirled during the FOREWARD...

I give homer a much. harder time that I do you... trust me.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Just having fun and trying to make you laugh as always BwBoy... I know you only twirled during the FOREWARD...

I give homer a much. harder time that I do you... trust me.
Some can dish it out but can't take it
Old 09-08-2023, 05:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you, jbrownsjr! Good to know.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is what Mick wrote in his first book. I always wondered why he's not in the song credits. It's just Lindsey, but if all he wrote is true (), he could be included as he was in The Chain (which I never found out why they included him).

I wanted to make a statement too, some special contribution that would reflect my vision of what Fleetwood Mac was all about, a sense of grandeur with intimacy, if you will. That was the vision that came together in the aural collage called "Tusk."

It started as a riff we used to play when we took the stage and the lights went off and we were being announced, right before our first number. It was our way of having a live sound check so Richard Dashut could set his levels. It was just a little riff that Lindsey started playing one night, and I'm tapping my drums. We used to play it in the dark for less than a minute every night. When we began the new album we tried doing something with it, but the idea was scrapped. Months and months went by, but that riff just would not leave my head. One night Richard Dashut assembled a twenty-second tape loop of this four-bar riff. A bunch of us physically held the tape loop aloft in the studio so it wouldn't sag as we dubbed it from one twenty-four-track recorder to another. Then we sped it up, I did some overdubs, and we had a basic track.

The next day I was at home, thinking about "the rift," and my memory returned to my visit to Barfleur in Normandy the previous summer.

One Sunday morning I had been awakened (with a serious hangover) by the raucous music of the village brass band, which was circling through the town blaring away in honor of the festival of the local saint. I tried to get back to sleep after the band had passed, to no avail. Just when I thought they had stopped for half an hour, back they came roaring through the village again. It became clear there was to be no relief, so I got up and opened the shutters onto a wonderful scene by Brueghel: old peasants with bloodshot noses, young women garbed in colorful local costume, kids running around, drunks staggering after the band, the village all garlanded and festooned, everyone having a grand time a la fe^te.

Now, back in Los Angeles, I had a brainstorm. What was music all about anyway? Here was this brass band that was the catalyst for the village, bringing old and young together, playing and laughing. Why not try to recreate this ambience at Fleetwood Mac shows, with local brass bands, maybe from the high schools, playing "the riff" at every stop on the tour? We could bring the intimacy of the village fete with us as we traveled around the world.

That, in any event, was the basic idea. One day in the studio I volunteered to pay for a marching band to record this riff. In a typical burst of grandiosity, I said I wanted to go for an immense wall of sound, that I wanted to record the band in Dodger Stadium. Silence. They looked at me as if I were mad. Someone murmured that this idea was a little off the wall. Dark mutterings that old Fleetwood had gone round the bend on this one. Then Judy Wong, bless her, said she knew someone at Dodger Stadium.

Ha!