Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Stevie addressed the idea of her playing on stage once. I don’t think she mentioned what particular song she would play on. She just said that the question had come up, but for her to do it would just be for show, and it would only end up with Lindsey yelling at her when she messed up, so what was the point.
Well, in Lindsey's defense, if her guitar playing is anything like her piano playing....
Old 08-23-2023, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Actually, she even botches that. She’s off the beat and all over the map. But she looks good doing it, and that’s probably all that matters.
You've been very anti SN lately and frankly that frightens me a little bit. LOL. But in all fairness IMO she played tambo and other percussion instruments perfectly on all the videos I have seen of her from 1975 -1982. I was shocked and still am to learn her tambo was taped for the Clinton Inauguration. I no longer play piano or tambourine but she was my inspiration to learn both. And I am very proud of that fact. Watching her play piano on the tv show 20/20 in 1980 was awesome. To this day even if I tried I could still never imitate her witchy sounding style on SOTM.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well, in Lindsey's defense, if her guitar playing is anything like her piano playing....
She was definitely not gifted in that area.
Old 08-23-2023, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
She was definitely not gifted in that area.
Charisma is her only gift.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Charisma is her only gift.
Not entirely untrue.

And she was very, very smart in developing a lasting visual image (though again in this she got invaluable assistance from someone else, in this case Herbie whose love for her comes thru in his photos many of which are the lasting, iconic images of her to this day). Having a great visual image works for print and magazine and even now web-based stories... great pics to add to stories etc. Lindsey I think was much later to that game and Chris never really cared so much about it (and that''s not a criticism of her at all).

Stevie knew how to create a full, multi-faceted self-marketing package. She deserves credit for that.

But one of her super powers was finding people with far more talent than her and getting them to help her -- Herbie with the visuals, Margi with outfits, and most importantly- Lindsey with music. He said in an interview in recent years that legitimately many of her songs should really be co-writes (in other words, he contributed more of the music and arrangements than she did - she did the melodies but...). On youtube someone pulled out and posted the bit where she plays the 'music' for Dreams (footage from the IYD documentary) and boy it's.....soooooooo nothing. I mean it's really no wonder Chris would say "What am I supposed to do with this?" and then it fell to Lindsey to turn it into something usable.

Her ego would just never allow her to acknowledge help with her music, most especially his. Later, people like Benmont, Roy, Mike, Dave and others were not so easily charmed out of their contributions.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You've been very anti SN lately and frankly that frightens me a little bit. LOL. But in all fairness IMO she played tambo and other percussion instruments perfectly on all the videos I have seen of her from 1975 -1982.
I like her guiro work on Rosebud, but her cowbell on “Tusk” didn’t add much. Thoughts on her tambourine shaking on “Ebony Eyes”? Pretty good, no?

Quote:
Watching her play piano on the tv show 20/20 in 1980 was awesome. To this day even if I tried I could still never imitate her witchy sounding style on SOTM.
If we should ever find ourselves in the same room at the same time, I’ll show you how it’s done.

Still baffling to me is why she played a little guitar in rehearsal in 1979 after her try at it in 1977 didn’t convince the others.

Check out this pretty “Save Me a Place” cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI34ULobYZs

moviekinks.blogspot.com