User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks on the Last Time She Saw Tom Petty

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...-petty-w508749

"They were always taking a step up," Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks said of her close friend Tom Petty, his loyal band the Heartbreakers and their constant, determined ascent in ambition and popularity over four rock & roll decades. Nicks was speaking to me a week after Petty's death for Rolling Stone's feature tribute to the Heartbreakers' founding leader. The two met in 1978, Nicks said, and first performed together on record in 1981 – on "Insider," from his album, Hard Promises, and on Nicks' Top Five solo single "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around," written by Petty and Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell.

Nicks performed both songs with Petty and the Heartbreakers last February at the MusiCares charity event honoring Petty as their Person of the Year. She reprised "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" with Petty and the Heartbreakers in July, when she opened for them with her solo band at London's Hyde Park. It was the last time she saw him. Here, in this unpublished excerpt from our interview, Nicks recalls her deep friendship with Petty and that day in Hyde Park.

What are your memories of Hyde Park?
We hadn't played "Stop Draggin'" since MusiCares. When I went into the dressing room before the Hyde Park show, it was me, the Heartbreakers, the Webb Sisters [Petty's backing singers on the 2017 tour], some other friends. We stood there and rehearsed it with [drummer] Steve Ferrone beating on the couch, everybody sort of humming their parts. Tom and Mike played guitar. Ron Blair dragged out a bass but didn't play it very loud because it wasn't plugged in. We went through it a couple of times. It was funny – you play a wrong chord, and everybody's eyes go straight up. We didn't know it as well as we thought we did [laughs].

It was interesting because Shania Twain had come to see me and to watch Tom. After I came off stage from my set, she came backstage. She was so funny. She said, "I'm going to be greedy right now. I need to watch this show with you." Shania and I watched Tom's show [from the side of the stage] and sang at the top of our lungs. I look back on that and what a magical moment that was. Shania got to stand there with me and watch my boys.

Tom came out of a macho Florida culture and was the leader of a band that was almost like a gang. Yet he had a unique ability, among male rock stars, to write about women with frank but affectionate empathy. Where did that come from?
He had two daughters. He had two amazing loves [Petty's first wife Jane; his second wife Dana, whom he married in 2001]. He was surrounded by really strong women. The women around him pretty much went their own way, and he was good with that. He gave me a lot of advice about stuff. He was the kind of person who said, "Here's my advice. If you take it, great. If you don't, that's fine too." He was never going to shake a finger in your face and make you feel bad if you didn't take his advice.

Is there an example of advice that you did take?
It was toward the end of 1994. I was at my house in Phoenix – I had come out of rehab – and I had dinner with him at the Ritz-Carlton. I had a visitation from an old boyfriend, right after my rehab, and it had shaken me. I asked Tom if he would help me write a song. And he said, "No. You are one of the premier songwriters of all time. You don't need me to write a song for you." He said, "Just go to your piano and write a good song. You can do that."

When I walked out of the Ritz-Carlton. I had that feeling that he would be waiting to hear it. The song is called "Hard Advice." It ended up on 24 Karat Gold [released in 2014 and subtitled Songs from the Vault]. The chorus goes "Sometimes he's my best friend." It was really "Sometimes Tom's my best friend." I changed it because I knew Tom would not want me to say his name. That's how well I know him.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Any idea who the visiting old boyfriend was?
Old 10-13-2017, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Any idea who the visiting old boyfriend was?
I was wondering the same thing.
I don't have any solid guesses
Old 10-13-2017, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

is a visitation the same as a visit?

sometimes people use the word 'visitation' to refer to like a ghost sighting, or that type of thing. I'm assuming she means a real visit not a haunting visitation.... I wonder if it was Joe?? That seems unlikely.... but isn't that the infamous life-sized paper doll song?
Old 10-13-2017, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
I was wondering the same thing.
I don't have any solid guesses
I've wondered this too. AND, is she referring to the visiting ex-boyfriend being the life-sized paper doll in the record store? OR, is the record store doll TOM? Whatever the case, the ex-boyfriend would have to be a recording artist who visited her after REHAB in 95-96.

A) Joe Walsh
B) Don Henley
C) Lindsey Buckingham
Old 10-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wondered also who the visiting old boyfriend would be. I assume Joe Walsh, but I don't know for sure. He never seemed as in love with her as she was with him.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 10-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Stevie had other flings/boyfriends that were not as famous as Don Henley or Joe Walsh. I don't think she was using code language but the person is probably not known to many of us so the name is not newsworthy. Also, I doubt Lindsey came for a visit in 1995
Old 10-14-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Stevie had other flings/boyfriends that were not as famous as Don Henley or Joe Walsh. I don't think she was using code language but the person is probably not known to many of us so the name is not newsworthy. Also, I doubt Lindsey came for a visit in 1995
I also think that it wasn't Lindsey, however I have to say that Stevie and Lindsey around that time had to work together for the Twister soundtrack so they surely met.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought Stevie was nice to mention both women Tom was married to, and in such a respectful manner. Glad she didn't make the interview all about herself, so to speak. Still, I'm sure she'll be more emotional the next time she sings Stop Dragging My Heart live on her last few 24 Karat Gold tour dates.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course Stevie made it all about herself - to be fair, she doesn't know any other way these days. Demented old cow.
The ex-boyfriend was probably one of many married men she'd whored around with in the past. I wonder how respectful she was towards their wives? She has no respect for anyone, not even herself. Horrible witch.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Of course Stevie made it all about herself - to be fair, she doesn't know any other way these days. Demented old cow.
The ex-boyfriend was probably one of many married men she'd whored around with in the past. I wonder how respectful she was towards their wives? She has no respect for anyone, not even herself. Horrible witch.

Typing that comment took 2 minutes out of your life that you'll never get back.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-15-2017, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Typing that comment took 2 minutes out of your life that you'll never get back.
Post of the year!
Old 10-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The 'ignore' feature is great, except when other people repost what said ignored person wrote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:58 AM
Senior Ledgie

It was nice to read Stevie's thoughts on her friend's untimely passing.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
The 'ignore' feature is great, except when other people repost what said ignored person wrote
I have used it for this person myself. Good advice