Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevie View Post
Ken has told people LB hasn't spoken to Rich in years
KC has told me on twitter in a response to my direct question that he has not have contact with LB for years - other than that award ceremony at the beginning of last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
See, I just don't think pleasant public behavior means much of anything. I don't think he was Atila The Hun back then either, but he might have been. If so, I bet he had a lot of incredibly nice and sweet public (and private) moments too, even while being abusive at other times.

Abuse is a hard thing to parse.
completely agree. this is just how i feel. i don't have enough information to know what is true about the past or the present - and it doesn't seem any of us do.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
f-word? middle finger? by a performer that - from what you and others described - felt he was being disrespected by the drunk audience members that were in the club to get wasted and not to listen to the show?
I read the reviews and I got mad at the audience.

Michele
Old 08-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd have to read my own reviews and see if it was the UTS tour or the GOS tour, but Richard was in the audience two nights in the row in Vegas. Both Richard and Steve were. Lindsey had talked to them before the show, obviously.

Ray Lindsay is also a good one. Whether he and Lindsey are friends now or not, I think I'd have to give a great deal of deference to what he said. Well, if Ray says it himself. Ken saying Lindsey didn't pay Ray doesn't make me believe that.

Michele
Old 08-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I believe that the effort of self improvement, coupled with overcoming one's personal challenges and being a better man or woman says a lot more about character than past transgressions.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

But a song about corruption by power brokers in business or government, which denounces their ruthless actions certainly doesn't say to me that he's beating women and children. Clearly, he is not the protagonist in that song and would battle against him as he did in "Wrong". Plus, I have not seen anyone guarding his image, such as it is. Very few people watching SNL even knew who Hader was pretending to be. There is not much to guard. Maybe he's beating Kristen their kids and poodles and she is keeping quiet about it. That would be her. I highly doubt Irving Azoff spends a lot of time making sure Lindsey misdeeds keep swept under the rug. Lindsey is far from high profile enough. Lindsey hardly has an entourage at this point in his life. Michele
Can't say I agree with your lyric interpretation. Your conclusions are reasonable if that's what you believe he's talking about.

Not sure what SNL, or lacking a high profile has to do with anything. Non celebrities have enablers looking the other way all the time when it works in the enablers best interest.

Quote:

See, I just don't think pleasant public behavior means much of anything. I don't think he was Atila The Hun back then either, but he might have been. If so, I bet he had a lot of incredibly nice and sweet public (and private) moments too, even while being abusive at other times.

Abuse is a hard thing to parse. I remember when Mommie Dearest came out, I was really skeptical of Christina Crawford. Whether her accusations were true or not, she benefitted a lot from them. On the other hand, when Bing Crosby's sons from his first marriage came out about him, I really resented it when Bob Hope (a beloved icon) trashed them and said Bing was a great dad. Bob and Bing may have been the closest of friends and I'm sure he was the kindest of buddies, but Bob had no way of knowing what was going on behind Bing's closed doors.

Michele

Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd have to read my own reviews and see if it was the UTS tour or the GOS tour, but Richard was in the audience two nights in the row in Vegas. Both Richard and Steve were. Lindsey had talked to them before the show, obviously.
i think there's even a video on youtube - he introduced them from the stage and said they are to blame he's here now / called them his partners in crime or something like that.

Quote:
Ray Lindsay is also a good one. Whether he and Lindsey are friends now or not, I think I'd have to give a great deal of deference to what he said. Well, if Ray says it himself. Ken saying Lindsey didn't pay Ray doesn't make me believe that.
i thought Ken said that about Richard, not Ray Lindsay?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Can't say I agree with your lyric interpretation. Your conclusions are reasonable if that's what you believe he's talking about.
It is and I find your interpretation of One Take to be unique, to say the least.

Anyone can have enablers, family and friends, for instance, but you seemed to be linking the term to a bigger enterprise, especially with the One Take publicist line. It's like you were talking about the big FM in the seventies and not the man Lindsey is today who does not really have an image to protect.

Michele
Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i think there's even a video on youtube - he introduced them from the stage and said they are to blame he's here now / called them his partners in crime or something like that.

i thought Ken said that about Richard, not Ray Lindsay?
Yes, but when the discussion began it was unclear whether it was Richard or Ray and then we all got into whether or not Richard was being paid by FM, rather than Lindsey anyway.

Michele
Old 08-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, well. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Ken saying Lindsey didn't pay Ray doesn't make me believe that.

Michele
Me either.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It is and I find your interpretation of One Take to be unique, to say the least.

Anyone can have enablers, family and friends, for instance, but you seemed to be linking the term to a bigger enterprise, especially with the One Take publicist line. It's like you were talking about the big FM in the seventies and not the man Lindsey is today who does not really have an image to protect.

Michele
Everyone has an image to protect. It doesn't matter what you do for a living.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Everyone has an image to protect. It doesn't matter what you do for a living.
Uh huh. If you say so.

Anyway, that's why I was talking about SNL because you were talking about a publicist who covers up the avarice where you put your fist. The last thing I think Lindsey's publicist did was get him on SNL.

Michele
Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
we had a thread a while ago discussing LB's political songs - One Take was one of them. even if it's fairly literal, there were several layers of interpretation of that song.

as far as big label covering someone's avarice - well, LB doesn't have a big label now, so that particular interpretation would not seem to be relevant if discussing any present behavior.

actually if you listen to the song, together with his interpretation in various interviews, it seems to fit his overall message of one should work on change and improvement in general, starting from yourself.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
actually if you listen to the song, together with his interpretation in various interviews, it seems to fit his overall message of one should work on change and improvement in general, starting from yourself.
True, which is also the same as his interpretation of Peacekeeper which is that the message can work for warring countries, but can also start with the basic proposition of keeping peace within a relationship.

Michele
Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The last thing I think Lindsey's publicist did was get him on SNL.

Michele
Uh huh, if you say so.

How would we know?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Uh huh, if you say so.
Yeah, don't start doing that.

Quote:
How would we know?
Well, we know a lot because we live in a different world now, with all the media scrutiny. Harvey Levin seems to have more power than most publicists these days. I don't think it's easy to cover up the avarice where you put your fist if if you're talking about a singer, rock star, actor. The papparazzi are everywhere. Things seem to get out, no matter how big the star is in this TMZ day and it's not only celebrities, but politicians like John Edwards who they shadow. They have medical files, police reports. TMZ even broke news about Tommy LaSorda and the "hard" news networks now have to get their information from the tabloids.

Michele