User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
Having worked for a promoter, I've seen many contracts over the years. I can tell you this: The cost of a tour is tremendous, sponsored or not. Lets say you're Band X and have an agreement with Bud Light for a summer tour. Bud Light pays the "tour" the rights to advertise and/or sell their product at venues etc. (assuming venue doesn't have their own deal). Then you gotta look at the gross that you refer to and then start subtracting............the subtracting will make your head spin between union roadies, set-up, buses, catering, fees, fuel etc. The bills are endless. Everyone has their hand in your pocket. Sure , many artists have a guarantee in their contract, but they as well have management fees and commissions and taxes etc. I learned in the music biz that nothing is free..................

that's the beauty of publishing. the overhead is a LOT less than what a tour costs and it can pay for a looong time.............Why do you think that Lindzers sold his catalog a few years back? That's where the money was for him!! Now, someone owns the rights to his songs. Sadly, I think of Stevie and having no heirs. Mom and dad are gone and she ONLY has Chris, so who gets it when she's gone?? Her estate, BUT that does no one any good. Some company will buy the rights to her music and in 20 years you'll be seeing another cover of Landslide by the new Dixiecrat Chixx or an ad for Bud on the Superbowl 75.
that's the thing.. back in the day touring was really just a way of marketing the album, which was where money was made. People got to hear the songs and then go, yeah I want to own that music, and went out and bought the album. Teeshirts and other merch was also a big revenue source. The tours themselves, as you point out, cost a crapload of money to put on... all those salaries, fees for the venue, hotels for everyone, per diem meals for everyone, planes, trucks, cars, etc etc etc. The reason there's still money in touring though is the outrageous ticket prices that hope to make up for the other lost money.....
Old 02-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
No one was talking about royalties. There is NO proof what so ever they are paid the same for touring. When the Mac started to splinter do you really believe Stevie was paid the same as Rick and Billy? She knew and her management knew Stevie was a huge draw and she was paid more to tour with the Mac. Look at her interviews where she says her management told her to leave Fleetwood Mac after Lindsey left and don't record with them anymore. She felt obligated to stay in the band because she knew if she left the arenas would be empty. Its just a sad fact unfortunately. After Christine left there was another vacuum. You are kidding yourself if you really believe Stevie split everything equally during the Unleashed and Say You Will tours. Her solo tours yield almost the same numbers.
Back in the old days yes they were probably paid equally for touring but not after all the break ups. This is not unique to the Mac. Most bands that splinter and need to keep or bring back other key members have sweetheart touring deals. Even worse look at Lindsey and Christine's solo tour. It is so sad but reality to see 2/3 of songwriters of the Mac perform and could not fill a small theater while Stevie was selling out arenas. No way her management allows things to be split equally between the 5. However all band members are profiting from this equation so they are not complaining. I don't agree with it but I am not dumb to know what reality is.
I don’t really trust Stevie but in this case, I think you are being way too cynical. Who cares about Billy Burnett? He is not Mac anymore. Mick is a money grubbing bitch. Stevie knows that mick and John don’t get royalties. I do believe they are paid the same,
Old 02-08-2018, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
She was until she wasn't, then she went with Howard Kaufman. Lindsey very pointedly remarked when prepping for either one of the last tours or albums "Howard will always look out for Stevie" so......she's getting more somehow. If for some reason there is in fact a contract where everyone gets the same, she's making up the difference somewhere else. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when Chris returned and they had to re-split the pie.
Me too. I think she grossly underestimated how popular Christine actually was, and is sorry that she came back. Because Momma is no longer in the spotlight by herself, which she lives for.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There is NO proof what so ever they are paid the same for touring.
There’s also no proof they’re not.

Quote:
When the Mac started to splinter do you really believe Stevie was paid the same as Rick and Billy?
Is there any proof there was a discrepancy? I recall reading that Stevie and Christine demanded Billy and Rick be made full members of the band. It wouldn’t surprise me if they were paid somewhere between full members and backing musicians, but nobody on here has proof either way.

Quote:
She knew and her management knew Stevie was a huge draw and she was paid more to tour with the Mac.
Proof?

Quote:
Look at her interviews where she says her management told her to leave Fleetwood Mac after Lindsey left and don't record with them anymore. She felt obligated to stay in the band because she knew if she left the arenas would be empty.
St. Stevie made a huge sacrifice.

Quote:
Even worse look at Lindsey and Christine's solo tour. It is so sad but reality to see 2/3 of songwriters of the Mac perform and could not fill a small theater while Stevie was selling out arenas.
With The Pretenders…

Robert Pollard of Guided by Voices is a friend of mine, and the difference in album sales, money offered for shows, and ticket sales is ridiculously more if he bills it as Guided by Voices compared to Robert Pollard, regardless of who else is in the band. He did an album credited to Guided by Voices a few years ago where he played everything just to drive home the point that HE’S Guided by Voices. It doesn’t matter what he does or who is backing him up, it’s how he brands it that makes the biggest difference in terms of sales.

The same is true for LBCM. “Stevie Nicks” is a long established brand, “Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie” is a new brand. Had Mick and John been on board for the tour and the project been branded “Fleetwood Mac,” it would have been a lot bigger, especially if they did a co-headlining tour with, for example, Heart.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
“Christine and I made a pact …”

Christine never made that kind of pact with Stevie.
Christine is really a saint for putting up with all of this cr*p. Lindsey's not. He simply can't.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Anyone hear Sharon Osbourne on Stern this morning? We all know Sharon is a tough business woman screwing many of Ozzy's guitarists and musicians. But she brought up the last Black Sabbath tour with Ozzy and laughed stating the other 4 thought they were going to get paid the same as Ozzy. Ozzy probably got the majority of the money and the rest of Black Sabbath got pennies on the dollar. Ozzy packs the arenas and has this kind of leverage.
Now I wonder the percentage Stevie is getting for this upcoming tour. And the new guys?
Old 09-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Anyone hear Sharon Osbourne on Stern this morning? We all know Sharon is a tough business woman screwing many of Ozzy's guitarists and musicians. But she brought up the last Black Sabbath tour with Ozzy and laughed stating the other 4 thought they were going to get paid the same as Ozzy. Ozzy probably got the majority of the money and the rest of Black Sabbath got pennies on the dollar. Ozzy packs the arenas and has this kind of leverage.
Now I wonder the percentage Stevie is getting for this upcoming tour. And the new guys?
Sharon Osbourne comes from a hard school of Rock..
Her dad, Don Arden, screwed The Small Faces out of loads of money, and paid them pocket money!!!Literally.
So she had a good?? teacher.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Sharon Osbourne comes from a hard school of Rock..
Her dad, Don Arden, screwed The Small Faces out of loads of money, and paid them pocket money!!!Literally.
So she had a good?? teacher.
What she did to Jake E. Lee is the most outrageous thing ever. Jake wrote most of the music and songs for Bark at the Moon. He was told he would get royalties and publishing rights. When the album was just about done, Sharon presented a contract to Jake that had a confidentially clause. There was no royalties and no publishing rights. He called Sharon on why the change. She admitted things were different than what was promised. She said if he did not sign, he would be fired, they would hire another guitarist to play his parts, and he could get in line to sue them. Also, if Jake every mentioned the contract publicly he would be fired. Jake signed without an attorney and got screwed for writing the music and lyrics to many of Ozzy's songs. The next album "Ultimate Sin" Jake again wrote many of the songs and most of the music. He toured and Sharon fired him after the tour. Jake said that on the Bark At The Moon tour Ozzy was drunk and admitted to him that he screwed him.
When it comes to money, Sharon is cut throat.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-04-2018 at 04:02 PM..
Old 09-04-2018, 04:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Whether or not Lindsey works harder on stage is irrelevant. If people were paid based on how hard they work, hotel maids would make more than CEOs. Stevie brings the most $ to FM. And, contrary to what many here are lamely trying to argue these days, much of the reason she brings in the most is based on her own work over the years.

If she does make the most, good for her. Very rare for a woman.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Whether or not Lindsey works harder on stage is irrelevant. If people were paid based on how hard they work, hotel maids would make more than CEOs. Stevie brings the most $ to FM. And, contrary to what many here are lamely trying to argue these days, much of the reason she brings in the most is based on her own work over the years.

If she does make the most, good for her. Very rare for a woman.
In fact, the reason she brings in the most $ to FM is based on how stupid society is.

You are saying hard work is irrelevant, so clearly the reason she brings more money to FM is not work, right? Ahhh, where the days of being a cleaning lady have gone? That's hard work. That's why Keith Olsen said she sucked.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 09-05-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
In fact, the reason she brings in the most $ to FM is based on how stupid society is.

You are saying hard work is irrelevant, so clearly the reason she brings more money to FM is not work, right? Ahhh, where the days of being a cleaning lady have gone? That's hard work. That's why Keith Olsen said she sucked.
When I hear her voice now, I can't get over how people actually like it. I think, "are they tone deaf?" It's so nasal you'd have to pay me to listen to it.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
When I hear her voice now, I can't get over how people actually like it. I think, "are they tone deaf?" It's so nasal you'd have to pay me to listen to it.
Oh, the KNOW she sounds horrible. They just know it. They just don't want to admit it in front of everybody. Children of Stevie. Members of the most bizarre cult in the music industry.