The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Which ONE FM song should no other artist EVER attempt to cover?

I can see covering classics like Oh Well or Black Magic Woman.

I cannot see remaking a song like SOTM that is just so much in the style of the original artist.

I cannot see remaking a song like Secondhand News, in which the vocals/timing/instruments are already perfect.

I cannot see remaking Christine's simpler songs (like on Tusk) that rely so much on her beautiful voice.

Rod Stewart doing Stand Back is awful --- even more 80s-ish than the original. (Even American Idol Edge of 17 is superior.)

I can live with the Landslide re-makes, and even Courtney doing GDW, but all the Rhiannon covers make me shudder.
Rhiannon should not be touched. Even FM doesn't do it justice anymore, so hands off. Rhiannon is my pick.

- Jake
Old 05-05-2003, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My mind is screaming COME!!!

Im alone now, with my thoughts...
Old 05-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No one should ever attempt to cover Silver Springs. That is a classic Stevie/Lindsey song.
I would cringe to hear it with someone else's voice.

Tamara

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." --Eleanor Roosevelt

"Maybe now he could prove to her... That he could be good for her... And they should be together.." --SN
Old 05-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs down

-SEVEN WONDERS-

*Big time mistake* if any artist were to try to cover this one...

~Josh

Old 05-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of Silver Springs, I'm kind of anxious about hearing this song. I've been so spoiled about EXACTLY how it is done on The Dance cd and video that I can't even get into it on another Dance show that I have. I go to karaoke about 3 nights a week, and usually someone does this song, and it always annoys me because they don't get into the end part. And this one girl who sings it is just terrible (on Silver Springs anyway). So, my vote would go to Silver Springs. Close runner-up IS Rhiannon too, simply because I do not want to hear or see anyone except Stevie doing this song. Even now I love her doing this song, even though everyone else hates it now.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Arrow

i don't think any FM song can be successfully covered by any artist. witness the 'rumours' tribute album debacle (well, i thought it was a debacle anyway). i can't think of one song that would be improved by somebody else singing/playing it (ok, i'll admit it, i'm only thinking of the rumours lineup albums and SYW).
Old 05-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My impression is that Lindsey and Stevie have a real quirky, personal musical style, so most of their songs don't have that "Universal Appeal." I stuggle to describe what I mean by that term, but "Landslide" is the one group song that I think approaches it. The Dixie Chicks' version certainly had mass appeal. It's this type of song, with easily accessible lyrics and familiar imagery, that may get (or is) adopted into mass culture.

However, Stevie and Lindsey's work has grown even more idiosychcratic over the years -- which I think is a good thing! But any chances for their newer songs to get covered by other artists seems slim. But who knows? Maybe the Dixie Chicks, giddy with the success of Landslide" might surprise/horrify us and follow it up with a country version of Rhiannon!
Old 05-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinHead
Maybe the Dixie Chicks, giddy with the success of Landslide" might surprise/horrify us and follow it up with a country version of Rhiannon!
Apparently you have not heard the Waylon Jennings version of Rhiannon. Lucky you.

- Jake
Old 05-05-2003, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking That's easy...

"Don't Stop", It's bad enough the FM grates my nerves...Won't listen to anyone else's version if it is humanly possible...Brian J.

ps-Besides Waylon Jennings' cool "Rhiannon" cover song, I also like his "Gold Dust Woman" cover....

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 05-06-2003, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with Silver Springs. NO ONE should cover that.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

I liked Duncan Sheik up until the day he covered "Songbird" and I haven't been able to listen to Eva Cassidy because of it either. That is Christine's song through and through and the only thing that makes me cry more than the song itself is someone attempting to cover such a masterpiece.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:09 AM

The point is not whether a song you consider perfect should ever be covered. The idea is to reinterpret the song in some new way, infuse it with new energy. This is what Camper Van Beethoven did with the remake of the Tusk album. But when you listen to the Rumours tribute, it is pure crap.

Be that as it may, no song is or should be above being reinterpreted by another artist.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
The point is not whether a song you consider perfect should ever be covered. The idea is to reinterpret the song in some new way, infuse it with new energy. This is what Camper Van Beethoven did with the remake of the Tusk album. But when you listen to the Rumours tribute, it is pure crap.

Be that as it may, no song is or should be above being reinterpreted by another artist.
I agree, I just think that some songs present a great challenge in terms of "infusing with new energy". To me, songs like early Rhiannon & 2ndhand News are perfect in their presentation & energy, & artists who try to make it their own are taking a huge gamble. Of course, I respect that that is exactly what artists do. Perhaps another way of phrasing my question would be Which is (probably) the last FM song that could be improved upon by another artist?

- Jake
Old 05-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't like remakes to begin with. But I would absolutely die if anyone tried to remake Sara....

There's no way in hell.

Maria
Old 05-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Sara, I'm So Afraid and Think About Me should never be remade as the originals are by far fabulous and no one could top them.

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009