The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Pick 2 albums that represent Christine at her very best!!
Future Games / Bare Trees / Penguin 3 4.62%
Mystery to Me 16 24.62%
Heroes Are Hard to Find 2 3.08%
'75 Fleetwood Mac 10 15.38%
Rumours 31 47.69%
Tusk 21 32.31%
Mirage 5 7.69%
Tango in the Night 38 58.46%
Behind the Mask 4 6.15%
Time 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmith View Post
I voted for Behind the Mask and Tango because she saved those two albums. With out her they would have been horrible. Otherwise this poll would have been impossible to judge. I think she had done an amazing job at staying consistently good on all the albums even though I find her to be a little too adult contemporary/mainstream pop sometimes. But hey, she was the hit machine and had more of them then the other two. The only album I thought she was weak on is Tusk. Besides Over and Over and Think about me, its just too dull and boring. I do like the three part harmony on Honey Hi.

I first started listing to the band in 1997 when I was 12 and my family drove from Alaska to NC in a motor home. My parents accidently packed up all the cds so we listend to The Dance over and over. Its funny how during an interview around that time she said she hoped kids would pick up the band from thier parents lol. I thought Christine was the weakest link back then, but I appreciate her a whole lot more now that I am a little older. I have actually gotten all her pre rumours FWM albums. they are all really good. especially Mystery to Me. There is a song on Bare trees that talks about her just wanting to go home away from the jett setting/ limelight life. I thought that was pretty funny.

As I already said, she can be a little too easy listing sometimes and its hard to listen to only her songs for too long at a time. (I have her 1984 album and will get In the mean time at somepoint) The best part of FWM- the dynamic between the three singers. You can't get bored listing to them! Thats why I can't figure out how someone could hate one of the band members and still like FWM. favor one over the others yes, but hate one?
What a lovely story about listening to The Dance in the motor home! I was the same as you. I really got into FM off the back of that CD. However, conversely I felt Christine was strongest - I suppose because she was able to carry her talent so lightly (unlike the other two) and because she seemed to me to combine first-class musicianship with a voice that could melt your heart. But over the years I have come to appreciate Stevie and Lindsey a little more!

The song on Bare Trees is Homeward Bound and it just shows you how long she stuck it out before she packed her things and retired. All those years in FM, in the back of her mind, she would much rather have been making a roast dinner and doing the gardening.

Yep, there were times towards the end of her time in the band where her songs were guilty of being a little too AC. I think maybe As Long As You Follow was the point where she plunged into that category, although I think it's a beautiful song and probably her last really good FM studio track. The AC thing has been used as a stick to beat her with by music snobs, but without her ear for a tune they just would not be where they are today.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me Mystery to Me is easily her best. I like "Morning Rain", "Homeward Bound" and "Remember Me" a whole lot from her first three, but on MTM all her songs are great.

OTOH Mirage is easily her weakest and she's the weakest leg of the trio on that one, IMO. I agree that she's MVP or perhaps co-MVP of Tango (with Lindsey of course), I think you can make a case for that on one of the 90s albums too (of course I don't even remember them well enough to say which so my opinion of them probably means nothing).

I used to be so bored with "Brown Eyes" but now I've fallen a little in love with it. Still if you show me a list of Christine's songs by album, Tusk wouldn't get me the most excited. They sound great within the album and have an important function there though.

For second place it would be either Heroes ("Bad Loser" is pretty epic), the white album (because I actually like "Sugar Daddy"), or Rumours ("Oh Daddy" is a really unique Christine song). It's hard for me to pick. It's good the poll's closed.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post

For second place it would be either Heroes ("Bad Loser" is pretty epic), the white album (because I actually like "Sugar Daddy"), or Rumours ("Oh Daddy" is a really unique Christine song). It's hard for me to pick. It's good the poll's closed.
I like the cut of your gib.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
That's right, she did. I read it as saying Rumours was third out of three and Mystery to Me was her favourite. The way she says it is ambiguous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
It was from MOJO magazine and I think you're right about the ones she said.
Thanks Ulpian and Dragonfly. I was trying to find the thread, but I didn't locate it. I'm suprised MTM was up on her list. I wonder how she feels about Tango in the Night?
Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Thanks Ulpian and Dragonfly. I was trying to find the thread, but I didn't locate it. I'm suprised MTM was up on her list. I wonder how she feels about Tango in the Night?
Hm. Good question. She doesn't seem to think TITN is one of her best, maybe because those recording sessions weren't a happy affair by all accounts.

She seems very focused on the early stuff she did with Bob Welch and the 75 album.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Hm. Good question. She doesn't seem to think TITN is one of her best, maybe because those recording sessions weren't a happy affair by all accounts.

She seems very focused on the early stuff she did with Bob Welch and the 75 album.
I would hope she would be proud of her TITN material. It's some really good stuff.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is the Mojo article in this thread. I scanned the interview:

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...ad.php?t=51151

Christine said that Rumours is her favorite. The White Album is #2 and Mystery to Me is in distinct third place.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 06-17-2013 at 06:37 PM..
Old 06-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Christine said,

Quote:
"Well I always had a bit of a penchant for Mystery To Me. I loved a lot of Bob Welch's songs, but I'm afraid it's a distinct third place to Rumours with the White album sitting at second place."
Michele
Old 06-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Well I always had a bit of a penchant for Mystery To Me. I loved a lot of Bob Welch's songs, but I'm afraid it's a distinct third place to Rumours with the White album sitting at second place."

Maybe it's a British turn of phrase, but to my ear "I loved a lot of Bob Welch's songs, but it's a distinct third place to Rumours" sounds ambiguous, like she meant Rumours is in third place.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Over and Over is her masterpiece.

Honey Hi!

Think About Me!

Brown Eyes!

Never Forget!

wow

TUSK towers... but then there's Rumours and White... in which she mastered the pop song.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Over and Over is her masterpiece.

Honey Hi!

Think About Me!

Brown Eyes!

Never Forget!

wow

TUSK towers... but then there's Rumours and White... in which she mastered the pop song.
Over and Over on the LIve album has that amazing crescendo at the end. It's amazing!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I would hope she would be proud of her TITN material. It's some really good stuff.
I agree. With two big hits for her Everywhere and Little Lies, she outta be very proud of her work on that album. Her teamwork with Lindsey is great, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Here is the Mojo article in this thread. I scanned the interview:

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...ad.php?t=51151

Christine said that Rumours is her favorite. The White Album is #2 and Mystery to Me is in distinct third place.

Michele
Thanks, Michele, didn't think to look down in the Christine forum.

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe it's a British turn of phrase, but to my ear "I loved a lot of Bob Welch's songs, but it's a distinct third place to Rumours" sounds ambiguous, like she meant Rumours is in third place.
It does sound a bit confusing. Maybe she said it differently, but in the article it was worded in a different way.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a tossup between Tango and Rumours and Mirage..I do miss her in the band .

What gets me is those tunes of Christine's should of done better on the charts like Dreams did..

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think American and British usage is the same on this one. But yes, of course, you're right that interpretation depends on language style and usage for each listener or reader.

To me, when you place second or third TO anything that thing is in the number one position, whether it's a sports contest or beauty pageant. Anything that comes in "to it" is a runner up.

Otherwise, she would have said, "Rumours comes in at distinct third place," if she meant that Mystery to Me was #1.

Michele
Old 06-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's surprising nobody voted for "Time" whilst there was still time. I'm sure I would.