Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Which is better?
This is 40 (LB)/You Can't Fix This (SN) 17 36.96%
Extended Play (FM) 28 60.87%
N/A - The EP will never be released; what you think you are hearing is just a "mirage" 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Which is better? This is 40/You Can't Fix This or EP?

The point of this is to try to generate discussion about whether Stevie and Lindsey are better off solo or together with the Mac? Or maybe they still make fireworks together but outside producer/s are needed as evidenced by the solo songs? Or do they just not jive together anymore?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The EP is 100 percent better then Dave G's incarnation .

I never was a fan of the Foo Fighters and that era of music.

The EP is nice and mellow which I love.

I rather hear Stevie's oohs and hahs on the EP then Dave's noise from his guitar.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 05-01-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think they're better of solo at this point. Occasional collaborations would probably be ok, as long as it's not called "Fleetwood Mac". I'm sure Mick would frown on them doing too much of that though.

Jamie
Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Having had multiple listens to the EP.....You Can't Fix This/This is 40 Produced much much MUCH better stuff to these ears. Lindsey carried that EP, and Stevie just does not care about Mac. I love You Can't Fix This, and Lindsey's stuff on 40. Notably She Acts Like You.

Better off apart at this stage.

Put the Mac to bed.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 05-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In terms of songwriting, the EP. In terms of production, You can't fix this (and to some extent This is 40). I can't choose!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie stopped giving her all to Fleetwood Mac decades ago..after Tusk really but LB and the band managed to squeeze one last gasp of true greatness out of her with Gypsy..note that they had her captive in France for 6 weeks for the initial Mirage tracks and these tracks were laid down after Bella Donna was recorded but before it was released.She and Lindsey are better off apart as a recording entity and really have been for years.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

not thrilled with EP like the songs Sad Angel and Without You that is it.I love You Can't Fix This.It should have been on a FM album Dave Grohl should produce the next Fleetwood Mac album if it ever comes to fruitation after this EP release. The EP to me is ok just ok.I was more pumped up for the concert on April 20th 2013 than the release of this EP.The songs they performed live from this EP is the ones I do like on the EP the other two songs not thrilled with.My opinion sorry as I duck from dishes being thrown at me..lol. If they come to do an a full new studio album it would have to be as good as Say You Will or better.This EP is not better than Say You Will.Even though I do think Sad Angel is a studio outtake from Say You Will,Sad Angel is the strongest song on the EP in my opinion.I will not be purchasing this EP on Itunes because I am old school prefer a cd and I do use cd players or cd walkman to listen to my music.That is just me. I chose from above Lindsey's 40 Soundtrack and Stevie's You Can't Fix This Sound City Reel to Real soundtrack.You Can't Fix This is a great strong rocker that has fleetwood mac all over it. I am a die hard fan I do think its ok to be critical to I am not going to say the EP is awesome amazing best thing that FM has done because that is not true at all.I won't just say I am crazy about it so they can go ahead and make an album.I am being honest with my opinion.Others will love it or hate it, been a die hard fan of FM since 1979,It's ok to be critical of my favorite band I am being honest.They will probably do a full album at the end of the year and release it next spring and tour again in the summer of 2014 that is my opinion its mean't to be it will happen.April 20th 2013 was my last high priced concert to attend to glad I went had great seats and had a blast.It was an awesome show to make it my last.I am getting older to be going out to the shows so glad was able to go this time around.

Last edited by StandbackStevie; 05-01-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandbackStevie View Post
not thrilled with EP like the songs Sad Angel and Without You that is it.I love You Can't Fix This.It should have been on a FM album Dave Grohl should produce the next Fleetwood Mac album if it ever comes to fruitation after this EP release. The EP to me is ok just ok.I was more pumped up for the concert on April 20th 2013 than the release of this EP.The songs they performed live from this EP is the ones I do like on the EP the other two songs not thrilled with.My opinion sorry as I duck from dishes being thrown at me..lol. If they come to do an a full new studio album it would have to be as good as Say You Will or better.This EP is not better than Say You Will.Even though I do think Sad Angel is a studio outtake from Say You Will,Sad Angel is the strongest song on the EP in my opinion.I will not be purchasing this EP on Itunes because I am old school prefer a cd and I do use cd players or cd walkman to listen to my music.That is just me. I chose from above Lindsey's 40 Soundtrack and Stevie's You Can't Fix This Sound City Reel to Real soundtrack.You Can't Fix This is a great strong rocker that has fleetwood mac all over it. I am a die hard fan I do think its ok to be critical to I am not going to say the EP is awesome amazing best thing that FM has done because that is not true at all.I won't just say I am crazy about it so they can go ahead and make an album.I am being honest with my opinion.Others will love it or hate it, been a die hard fan of FM since 1979,It's ok to be critical of my favorite band I am being honest.They will probably do a full album at the end of the year and release it next spring and tour again in the summer of 2014 that is my opinion its mean't to be it will happen.April 20th 2013 was my last high priced concert to attend to glad I went had great seats and had a blast.It was an awesome show to make it my last.I am getting older to be going out to the shows so glad was able to go this time around.
You're putting way too much effort into justifying your opinion. I think we all agree that you have a right not to like the new music. You're not the only one.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh my god.I hope I get earplugs,LOL.

I like to hear her voice.Not noisy guitars.I can tolerate Lindsey's because he's the best But I cant tolerate 1990's grunge crap rock backing Stevie and who ever else singing.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 05-01-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post

I like to hear her voice.Not noisy guitars.I can tolerate Lindsey's because he's the best But I cant tolerate 1990's grunge crap rock backing Stevie and who ever else singing.
lol I do like some 1990's grunge bands like Nirvana and Alice In Chains I am totally a classic rock fan I tend to lean torwards Alice In Chains more than Nirvana but I do like both. I do love the production and lyrics and the rockin sound of You Can't Fix This to me it's totally a Fleetwood Mac song just love it.Maybe she should have saved it for them and record it and it should have been on the EP.

Last edited by StandbackStevie; 05-01-2013 at 04:23 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
lol I do like some 1990's grunge bands like Nirvana and Alice In Chains I am totally a classic rock fan I tend to lean torwards Alice In Chains more than Nirvana but I do like both. I do love the production and lyrics and the rockin sound of You Can't Fix This to me it's totally a Fleetwood Mac song just love it.Maybe she should have saved it for them and record it and it should have been on the EP.
The song's composition is credited to Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins in addition to Stevie. So I don't think it was hers to do whatever she wanted with it.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post

I don't know to me "You can't fix this" doesn't really sound like grunge rock. It's somewhere between grunge rock and just atmospheric classic rock.
If grunge rock means Foo fighters for you then of course you hate it, but there are also some quality bands (Pixies mainly, but also Throwing muses or early PJ Harvey).
Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
The point of this is to try to generate discussion about whether Stevie and Lindsey are better off solo or together with the Mac? Or maybe they still make fireworks together but outside producer/s are needed as evidenced by the solo songs? Or do they just not jive together anymore?
frankly, i would never pit these 3 very different outputs against each other.

This is 40 songs are little (or way) too sparse for my taste, although i love She Acts Like You and the message it contains. maybe if someone like Shane McGowan was singing them i would think differently... Brother and Sister goes on for way too long, and Sick of you i can take or leave. (although i do like to listen to them because i just like to hear Lindsey and they are not getting on my nerves like Trouble or Did You Miss Me.)

You Can't Fix This has the opposite problem for me - no melody, annoying lyrics, although great arrangement / instrumentation. i want some melody in a song so this bores me, similar to Illume. (and no, this is not FM-like song, it's just Illume-like song.)

so i don't really think these specific recent examples of a "solo" output represent their solo output at all. i like SWS and IYD much more than these, and would take that as more representative of the most recent solo output.

so if you asked me whether i think SWS is better that EP, i would without any hesitation say it's SWS, even if EP has Mick and John on it and i like that fuller sound.

however, if you are pitting EP against This is 40 and YCFT, even though EP is on average too poppy for my taste and i normally wouldn't probably give it a chance if it wasn't Lindsey's baby, than that's no brainer for me: EP wins hands down.

i also find interesting that most of complaints that i've seen around here against EP are about arrangements, production, who sings, who plays, and who wrote what, but not about the actual songs and their melody or lyrics.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default M

I don't like the this is 40 songs which you lumped in with my favorite song anyone in the band has done this decade so I can't really decide right now. Although I've grown to at least like all four EP songs, I have a hard time with Lindsey calling it takes time a fleetwood Mac song. No Stevie is one thing, but no. Mick and John is another. If it closed a 13 14 song album I feel a lot more accepting of the song.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 05-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
..note that they had her captive in France for 6 weeks for the initial Mirage tracks
That's pretty funny. Michele