The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Which one is the best lyricist ?
Christine 9 10.59%
Lindsey 14 16.47%
Stevie 62 72.94%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Chris is my absolute favorite, but, I give Stevie this title. Her lyrics are deeper than Chris' or Lindsey's. Damn, it hurts me to say that!
Old 05-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie, hands down. While Lindsey and Christine are both excellent lyricists, La Nicks just has this certain something that makes her lyrics easy to relate to. Even though I don't know what the HELL she's going on about at times
Old 05-01-2004, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I can't wait until next Saturday so we can have something else to talk about.

I chose Lindsey. He is the best, because he's my favorite.
Sometimes I really enjoy your posts!! That was one of em. LOL
Old 05-01-2004, 04:55 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well next Saturday my niece has her 6th birthday and I am more than willing to talk to all of you about what the party was like.
On the other hand, Christy, I am not too sure that you meant my niece. Please enlighten me- what`s happening then concerning FM?
Old 05-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
No intention of knocking anyone here Johnny, it's just my perception I'm bringing out again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Out of 30 years of music, Lindsey has about 10 songs that really hit me on a deep, meaningful level. Don't get me wrong... I love (or at least greatly enjoy) all of his work (the "dislikes" I sometimes mention, are only disliked in comparison to how much I enjoy so many of the other songs), but I don't connect with his lyrics on a reliable basis.

There are quite a number of Christine songs that move me, but, hands down, it's Stevie whose songs hit me where I live.
Play me any single Stevie Nicks-penned song you can think of, and there's always something I can relate to... even if it's only one verse, or just the bridge, or whatever.
You still probably remember when I stated that laughing can be as deep as crying and that's why I don't buy into the "Stevie is deeper than the others" mentality that I know some people have around here.

I connect with "Family Man" as much as I connect with "Gypsy" (although I wouldn't like to list the various reasons again ) and that is because the former makes me laugh and makes me completely giddy while the latter makes me cry, even in front of people. It's totally different things that Stevie and Lindsey can do; the Lindsey tracks that make me cry like Stevie songs do I can count with the fingers of one hand and the Stevie songs that give me some sense of the same fun I get with Lindsey are of the same number. These rare occasions that I'm talking about are "Stand Back", "Jimmy Come On Back" and "Say You Will"; "You And I Part One", "Street Of Dreams" and "Down On Rodeo". I know they're not related to each other and don't sound alike but they just hit this weird nerve in me.

My problem with Stevie's solo work has been that she very often seems to be about the artistic depth and seriousness only; she very rarely lets her hair down or explores the other sides of her psyche. That's why she moves me somewhat less than Lindsey does; in my own twisted idea of what a human being should be I think Lindsey appears more humane than Stevie.

But it's just my opinion and we should also note that it's Lindsey who's overtly serious in interviews while Stevie is always spontaneous and humorous. Which is great, as far as I'm concerned.

I think Chris is somewhere in between the two; she knows how to have "lightweight" fun but she can grab my serious side with her as well. It happens on Time once again, with "Hollywood" and "I Do" being responsible of the former and "Sooner Or Later" and "All Over Again" responsible of the latter. And I guess "Nights In Estoril" is in between the two. I don't think of her as a great lyricist though, but I don't listen to her because of the lyrics anyway.

Nevertheless, I still picked Stevie because her lyrics seem to stand out the most on the paper. While Lindsey has improved notably over the years he still has some moments of weakness in the past, something that even the music can't always cover up (yes, it's "Oh Diane" I'm talking about). Yes, the sparseness of the Tusk lyrics and the meanings that can be read into them are still open for debate. But overall his lyrics only acquire their true meaning when they're put to music. Some of Stevie's lyrics "improve" in my mind as well when she starts singing them. But she's the strongest in this department and has been since the early days.

Bob Welch would be the pick for my favourite lyricist in the entire Fleetwood Mac canon, though.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up

Last edited by face of glass; 05-01-2004 at 08:48 AM..
Old 05-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The topics also don't appeal to me. I'm not one for angels and gypsies and women who expel bell-like noises.
Lux, I just decided that I like you.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I chose Lindsey. He is the best, because he's my favorite.

I chose Stevie, unless Lindsey is my favorite. Actually, I don't think his lyrics are weak, but Stevie's the one that has more "face". I can picture other artists singing a Lindsey or Christine-lyric, with the idea that they wrote it themselves. Stevie-lyrics? Well, I think in that case everyboy woul say " why are you pretending you're Stevie Nicks? "

Am I clear?

Old 05-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

All three have written some trite lyrics IMO. And they have written some beautiful ones, of course.

I vote Stevie on this. Lindsey has vastly improved over the years, but looking at their body of work, it's Stevie.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Bob Welch would be the pick for my favourite lyricist in the entire Fleetwood Mac canon, though.
I tend to agree on that one. bermuda triangle.

Old 05-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool Good afternoon

I just woke up and it's freakin' NOON. LOL We had bad thunderstorms last night with hail and heavy rain, people died, it's horrible.

Anyways...the topic at hand. Stevie Nicks is one of the greatest lyricists, singers and songwriters EVER, IMO. She is terrific, I love her "gypsy" stuff, and some of her songs, like Dreams, Rhiannon, Gypsy and Beautiful Child are some of my favorite songs of all time.

Christine has written some amazing songs, Why, Show Me a Smile, Little Lies, Isn't It Midnight, etc. I adore those and many others.

Danny Kirwan is so different in his lyrics and playing. I've always thought his solo stuff is a mixture of Stevie lyrics/Lindsey playing. I don't really connect with his music on an emotional level, but he's my third fave member of FM.

Bob Welch wrote some freakishly weird songs!! I love him for it! Hypnotized is one of my fave songs ever. His jazz tendencies brought something different to the band...thanks Bob!

Peter with Man of the World, Albatross and Oh Well. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G stuff!!

Lindsey. He's the one who makes me cry, laugh, joyful, etc. ISA and Red Rover are my two fave songs of all time. I love the solo in ISA, but those lyrics hit me and the RR lyrics do to. I apply BOTH songs to my life, even if he meant something TOTALLY different when writing them.

I love these kind of questions, but hate them at the same time. Make sense? They are ALL amazing lyricists and to say who's best is our opinion. It does bring about interesting debate and I love reading what everyone has to say.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Aren't you missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
The topics also don't appeal to me. I'm not one for angels and gypsies and women who expel bell-like noises.
I think that by summing up Stevie's catalog of songs like that you are missing a very key interesting topic that has been a subject of her songs since 1975: Lindsey himself.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Well next Saturday my niece has her 6th birthday and I am more than willing to talk to all of you about what the party was like.
On the other hand, Christy, I am not too sure that you meant my niece. Please enlighten me- what`s happening then concerning FM?

Dude, keep up!! It's the opening night of their (what is this?) fourth (?) leg of this SYW tour!!

Happy (early) birthday to your niece!! My birthday is tomorrow! May babies...RULE!!
Old 05-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You mean "Who Stole The Show- Lindsey or Stevie"

He Will Burn You Down
Old 05-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The topics also don't appeal to me. I'm not one for angels and gypsies and women who expel bell-like noises.I think that by summing up Stevie's catalog of songs like that you are missing a very key interesting topic that has been a subject of her songs since 1975: Lindsey himself.
Oh, lighten up Chiffonie! It was a very cute description of Stevie's work.
I, for one, appreciate sarcasm.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Yeah that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
You mean "Who Stole The Show- Lindsey or Stevie"
FTR, it will be Lindsey.

Unless she breaks out SOTM or they do a kick a$$ Edge of 17, I may have to change my tune. Hehe.