The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Which Ledgies are pre-Dance fans?

I am just wondering...who here was a fan before The Dance and what year did you become a fan? Mention HOW you became a fan if you feel like it. I have NOTHING at all against you Dancers, I am purely curious. Even though computers have taken over the world, I'd tend to guess that people who became fans with The Dance are younger (like me) and more likely to have a computer in their home.

Me: 1995

Old 10-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Me: 1977. I was 9 years old then. In a nutshell...

I knew and liked the "hits" from the 1975 album when they were out but I wasn't sure who did them.

Then, when I heard "Go your own way", that was it, I needed to find out who this Fleetwood Mac was. I convinced my mother to get the "Rumours" album because it was virtually a greatest hits album in itself (after seeing them win the Grammy on TV in early '78).

So I then eventually started the quest to get everything they've done (and I'm still working on it).

I must confess, that I too, was hesitant to get any non BN era stuff at first but once I realized that I just had to give the non BN era stuff the same chance I would give any non Mac related artist and not try to compare it to the BN era Mac stuff, I was just more annoyed at myself more than anything else that I didn't investigate any of that stuff earlier as I could've been enjoying all of that much earlier than I had been as I liked it just as much.

...and the rest is history.

John
Old 10-05-2003, 08:18 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Heart 1987

I've been a hard-core fan since 1987, when "Tango in the Night" was released. I was 17 at the time, and fell in love with "Big Love" after hearing it on the radio. (Fell in love with Lindsey, too, but that's another story!)

I had "been aware" of Fleetwood Mac and their songs since the 1970s, but it took me until the late '80s to get my act together!
Old 10-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I became a fan at a very young age after my older brother bought the Tango In The Night album the day it was released in 1987. I remember thinking that all the songs on it were amazing and when I saw the Big Love video I thought Lindsey (who I thought was called "Steve" after reading the album liner notes! ) was the coolest guy ever to walk the Earth! It was also the same year that I'd started playing guitar (I'd started teaching myself by playing along to my parents' Shadows records) so I listened to the album over and over trying to play simple "pluck-pluck" versions of the songs on my junior-size acoustic. From then on, I began listening to all my brother's and parents' Fleetwood Mac cassettes and I fell in love with the band and their music. Lindsey Buckingham became one of my two inspirations (the other being Hank Marvin) and to say that I was "extremely happy" when I heard that LB had rejoined for the Dance in 1997 would be the understatement of the century! I would say I definitely fall into that category of fans who are primarily a fan of a specific member, rather than the band as a whole, and in my case that member is, of course, LB.

Old 10-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Rumours era but I didn't get hardcore until 1982.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was a casual fan in 1975 but I became an obssesive fan in 1977. I was 12. There has been no turning back since then!

Rumours was everywhere. I took a look at these people and I bought the white album first then a month or two later I got Rumours. When I listed to the music and saw the photos I knew right away that we had a soul connection.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:54 PM
Junior Ledgie

I've been a fan since Mirage. Stevie stole my heart with the "Gypsy" video.

Baby, baby, don't treat me so bad
I'm the best boy that you ever had
You wanna leave now and find a new start
It's gonna kill me if you break my heart
~L Buckingham, "Don't Let Me Down Again"
Old 10-05-2003, 11:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

I first heard the Fleetwood Mac white Album after Rumors. When I heard and saw Stevie I was hooked and she became my one and only! My style was her... It was 1977 or so.....
Hve been hooked ever since
Old 10-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool 1975 was a good year

It was the first time I heard Rhiannon on the radio and I had no idea who they were but the song kept coming back to me. I also remember Over My Head but that one didn't make as much as an impression as Rhiannon. I was 12 at the time and totally hooked on Rhiannon (still am). Then in 1977 I got Rumours for my 14th birthday. I've been a hardcore fan eversince.
Nice detail: my brother is 6 older than me and he was a fan of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. He told me when I was a child, I always asked him to play the song "with the guitar and the flute in it". Years later I recognised the song as Oh Well prt 2. One day, when I was still living at home, I played it and my Dad came in. He said:"Why are you playing this old music? Your brother used to play this all time". So I guess Fleetwood Mac runs in my family LOL
Debbie

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 10-06-2003, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question I have no idea...

actually. I have been listening to 'em for a long time (Since around '75 or '76 when "Rhiannon" was first on the radio)...

But in all honesty I can't pinpoint a certain year, But I do remember listening to "Tango In The Night" when I was in high school...

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-06-2003, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I discovered Stevie in around 1984 when a friend played me Edge of Seventeen....

Pip
Old 10-06-2003, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rumours era here.It was GYOW that drew me in first .Then I couldn't stop looking at Stevie on the back cover.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:21 AM

Well...I was 9 years old when Rumours came out and I heard their music on the radio...and I always sang along and like it...

Probably not until I was around 12 or 13 (1980-81 or so) that I became "a fan."

So, yeah....I'd consider myself Pre-Dance
Old 10-06-2003, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm another fan from '87! TITN hooked me. The first time I heard Seven Wonders, I was enchanted. I was six and found the cassette in the glove box at a gas station while my mother pumped gas. I recently wrote an essay about my discovering the Mac for my advanced English class. We were told to write 4,000 words on a significant moment in our lives, one that shaped us into who were are today, and I chose finding that tape 16 years ago. I got an A on it!

Old 10-06-2003, 09:48 AM
Senior Ledgie

Wonderful to read all of these stories on how we came into Fleetwood Mac... And Stevie.... The highlight of my earlier years were RED ROCKS, Colorado. She played there 3 times in a 2 month spand. The last one being her video. Which was the day before my birthday and I am on the tape 3 times with greatness!!!! I was awesome! Mike Fleetwood would grace his presence......
I also got to meet the band (Fleetwood Mac) Portland Oregon ( a few of the band members) On the Tango In The Night Tour! Wahooooooooooo!