Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The House with a Clock in it's Walls: B-
Watched this a couple of weeks ago. Not an awful film- just really strange. The trailers suggest its a comedy (and with Jack Black in it that's what you'd expect). However the trailers show every comical moment- and that's it. Overall it really isn't a comedy. In fact, it's pitched at the wrong audience- it's actually quite scary for young kids. Quite entertaining but very odd.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-08-2018, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
The House with a Clock in it's Walls: B-
Watched this a couple of weeks ago. Not an awful film- just really strange. The trailers suggest its a comedy (and with Jack Black in it that's what you'd expect). However the trailers show every comical moment- and that's it. Overall it really isn't a comedy. In fact, it's pitched at the wrong audience- it's actually quite scary for young kids. Quite entertaining but very odd.
Thanks for review. I have no desire to see this film. It look looked to kiddish to me.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
26. Smallfoot, grade C+ = surprisingly this cartoon was boring, it was barely good. Was sort of disappointed.
You see such an amazing variety of film types. If you go see it, I am interested to hear what you think of Bad Times at the El Royale. It seems more like something my other half would be interested in, but for some reason I am intrigued by the story.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for review. I have no desire to see this film. It look looked to kiddish to me.

I had no desire really but took my 6 year old daughter- thought it would be right up her street from what we saw on the trailers. As I said though- it turned out there's actually very little humour in it. It was more like a scarier Harry Potter film about wizards and warlocks for 13/14 year olds.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
You see such an amazing variety of film types. If you go see it, I am interested to hear what you think of Bad Times at the El Royale. It seems more like something my other half would be interested in, but for some reason I am intrigued by the story.
I didn’t see El Royals. Here is the thing. No one I went with wanted to see it. It supposed to be kinda good but repetitive and no one was in a he mood for it. Sorry just doesn’t seem that appealing.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

28. Venom, Grade B- = what a surprise! This movie is getting savaged by critics but I liked it. It’s chalk full of great action scenes. Is it great? no! But it is good. Very 80s and 90s type of superhero movie. I cannot believe this is only getting a 30% approval rating on rotten tomatoes. You may like this.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

29. Halloween, grade B- = there is a low budget cheapness that works with this movie. It’s not great, but not bad. Not anywhere near as good as the original or Rob Zombie’s remake. There are some plot twists that are totally unbelievable but I liked the performances and some of the kills.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Johnny English Strikes Again: C=
Meh

Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-22-2018, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
29. Halloween, grade B- = there is a low budget cheapness that works with this movie. It’s not great, but not bad. Not anywhere near as good as the original or Rob Zombie’s remake. There are some plot twists that are totally unbelievable but I liked the performances and some of the kills.
I really enjoyed it. I thought it was just as good as the first, and I absolutely hated Rob Zombies vision of it because he took away the mystery and almost made Michael someone you sympathized with. When I watched it I wondered if Laurie had only hugged him when he showed her the baby picture he had of her, would they have gone off someplace and been a happy family?

So without spoiling the new movie for anyone, do you think they'll do another or that this was it?
Old 10-23-2018, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleshadow View Post
I really enjoyed it. I thought it was just as good as the first, and I absolutely hated Rob Zombies vision of it because he took away the mystery and almost made Michael someone you sympathized with. When I watched it I wondered if Laurie had only hugged him when he showed her the baby picture he had of her, would they have gone off someplace and been a happy family?

So without spoiling the new movie for anyone, do you think they'll do another or that this was it?
Because the movie only cost 10 million to make and it made about 80 million in its opening weekend, I’m sure there will be some type of sequel. Jamie Lee had a deal where she gets a chunk of the profits. I’m sure once she sees the paycheck, she will sign on. It’s also good for women over 55 to be able to open a movie.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Johnny English Strikes Again: C=
Meh
Never heard of it.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I didn’t see El Royals. Here is the thing. No one I went with wanted to see it. It supposed to be kinda good but repetitive and no one was in a he mood for it. Sorry just doesn’t seem that appealing.
Thanks for your thoughts anyway. We may give it a try. We'll see.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bohemian Rhapsody: A-
Just watched this- I thought it was really, really good. The performances by each of the four principle actors were fantastic- they absolutely nailed the nuances of the respective band members (and surely Rami Malek's portrayal of Freddie Mercury may warrant an Academy Award nomination). The star of this film is the music itself though, culminating in Queen's full 1985 performance at Live Aid. This film wasn't perfect; I don't want to watch it again in a hurry but I do want to break out a number of the Queen albums. Also, there seemed to be several frustrating inaccuracies with timelines that were obviously played around with in order to suit the overall narrative and ensure the running time fitted. This came across as a bit disingenuous for a music biopic closely produced by the remaining band members themselves.
Overall though, a damned fine movie that served to reminded me of how great a Fleetwood Mac biopic could one day be.
Edit: PS- I should have mentioned there's a lot of humour in this film. Though at times it deals with 'difficult' themes, the overall tone of the film is quite light.

Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 10-26-2018 at 04:03 AM..
Old 10-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Never heard of it.
Its the third film in a series of James Bond parodies by Rowan Atkinson (Black Adder, Mr Bean). You haven't missed much.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-26-2018, 02:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bohemian Rhapsody: A-
Just watched this- I thought it was really, really good. The performances by each of the four principle actors were fantastic- they absolutely nailed the nuances of the respective band members (and surely Rami Malek's portrayal of Freddie Mercury may warrant an Academy Award nomination). The star of this film is the music itself though, culminating in Queen's full 1985 performance at Live Aid. This film wasn't perfect; I don't want to watch it again in a hurry but I do want to break out a number of the Queen albums. Also, there seemed to be several frustrating inaccuracies with timelines that were obviously played around with in order to suit the overall narrative and ensure the running time fitted. This came across as a bit disingenuous for a music biopic closely produced by the remaining band members themselves.
Overall though, a damned fine movie that served to reminded me of how great a Fleetwood Mac biopic could one day be.
I cannot wait to see this film.