Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My 2017 Movie Reviews

1. Blade Runner 2049 - A+ My favorite movie of the year. A piece of art.
2. I, Tonya - A, a great movie. It’s reminded me of the movie Goodfellas
3. Star Wars B+ - liked it a lot, thought it brought something new to franchise
4. Thor - B+ fun and well done
5. Logan A-, a good ending to a great character, the little girl was a great version of wolverine
6. Planet of the Apes - B+ good movie
7. Wonder Woman - B, good especially for a DC movie but not as good as critics said it was
8. Wind River - B-, eerie, good but not great
9. IT - B, good but not scary
10. Lady Bird - B- it was ok, it’s completely overrated, but nice, sorta boring, ending blah
11. Shape of Water - C-, beautiful but very weird, not into beastiality. Creepy.
12. Call Me By Your Name - B+, artful, the music, scenery help make this a good movie
13. Justice League - C-, blah, it’s DC I have low expectations
14. Annabelle Creation - B-, pretty good prequel
15. Get Out - B-, completely overrated but it’s ok, Rips off The Stepford Wives
16. Ingrid Goes West - B-, decent
17. Coco - A, excellent Pixar movie, very touching
18. Three Billboards C-, far fetched completely overrated crap, terrible ending
19. The Mummy- D, it sucked
20. 49 Meters Down - C, it was ok
21. Baywatch - F, horrible
22. Guardians of the Galaxy- B, better than first one
23. Spider man homecoming-B+, good movie

Last edited by Jondalar; 02-07-2018 at 06:26 PM..
Old 02-07-2018, 07:36 PM

I saw Darkest Hour. I love history. I gave it an A-
Old 02-07-2018, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I haven’t seen that one yet. I need to see it and Phantom Thread and Dunkirk.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Dunkirk was great, too!

A-
Old 02-08-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I like history if you couldn't tell.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I've seen it too but only last month obviously; however I loved it, in my opinion Gary Oldman's performance was Oscar worthy.
I'm a sucker for history dramas too, I was the only person I know that loved Lincoln when it came out four years ago.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This was a really good year for movies. Sadly the Oscar nominations don’t reflect that but I haven’t watched the Oscars in over 5 years do why should I care.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
1. Blade Runner 2049 - A+ My favorite movie of the year. A piece of art. ** Very confusing if you weren't a Blade Runner fan **
2. I, Tonya - A, a great movie. It’s reminded me of the movie Goodfellas ** Great acting **
3. Star Wars B+ - liked it a lot, thought it brought something new to franchise
4. Thor - B+ fun and well done ** Meh, C+ **
5. Logan A-, a good ending to a great character, the little girl was a great version of wolverine ** X2, solid ending to the Wolverine franchise **
6. Planet of the Apes - B+ good movie X2
7. Wonder Woman - B, good especially for a DC movie but not as good as critics said it was I liked it, great directorial debut
8. Wind River - B-, eerie, good but not great A-, beautifully filmed
9. IT - B, good but not scary ** Meh, B **
10. Lady Bird - B- it was ok, it’s completely overrated, but nice, sorta boring, ending blah C- , totally did not get the point, movie went nowhere , not really a coming of age
11. Shape of Water - C-, beautiful but very weird, not into beastiality. Creepy. ** B+, love the old timey look and feel of it **
12. Call Me By Your Name - B+, artful, the music, scenery help make this a good movie ** Horrible movie, pointless and no beginning or end, just as bad or worse than Ladybird; art film if you're into that sort of thing **
13. Justice League - C-, blah, it’s DC I have low expectations
14. Annabelle Creation - B-, pretty good prequel
15. Get Out - B-, completely overrated but it’s ok, Rips off The Stepford Wives ** X2, we saw this genre 35 years ago, Stepford wives and Valley of the Dolls **
16. Ingrid Goes West - B-, decent
17. Coco - A, excellent Pixar movie, very touching
18. Three Billboards C-, far-fetched completely overrated crap, terrible ending ** Great acting, Frances McDormand is the real deal
19. The Mummy- D, it sucked ** horrible, couldnt get through about 1/2 of it
20. 49 Meters Down - C, it was ok
21. Baywatch - F, horrible Clunker of the year, The Rock and Efron should have drowned in that movie **
22. Guardians of the Galaxy- B, better than first one
23. Spider man homecoming-B+, good movie
See my bolded agreements above and additions below:

Hostiles: B- ; didnt get the whole retiring out east in Chicago, BUT before retirement, gotta take Indian Chief on his final journey to home even though I've killed hundreds of them and hate the guy; A redemption of his own soul before retirement; Acting ; B, Plot C **

The Commuter (Liam Neeson): I think he's grapsing for last straws on the Taken franchise, even though he wasn't a saviour in this ...........C+ movie at best

Darkest Hour: Not really what happened, but in their best Hollywood style, they make a story out of inaccurate facts; Great acting; A- KST is oddly so hot in a non-hot sorta way and Gary Oldman is a great actor.......the Prequel to 4 Wedding and a Funeral.....or Love Actually......

Last edited by Newzchspy; 02-09-2018 at 04:08 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
See my bolded agreements above and additions below:

Hostiles: B- ; didnt get the whole retiring out east in Chicago, BUT before retirement, gotta take Indian Chief on his final journey to home even though I've killed hundreds of them and hate the guy; A redemption of his own soul before retirement; Acting ; B, Plot C **

The Commuter (Liam Neeson): I think he's grapsing for last straws on the Taken franchise, even though he wasn't a saviour in this ...........C+ movie at best

Darkest Hour: Not really what happened, but in their best Hollywood style, they make a story out of inaccurate facts; Great acting; A- KST is oddly so hot in a non-hot sorta way and Gary Oldman is a great actor.......the Prequel to 4 Wedding and a Funeral.....or Love Actually......
Thank you for your comments. You are like the third person who has talked about the Darkest Hour. I need to see that film.

P.S. Wonder Woman was not Patty Jenkins directorial debut. She directed Monster, a movie about serial killer Aileen Wournos. Charlize Theron won an Oscar for it.

To me, Call Me By Your Name was a postcard from Italy. However I can understand why someone wouldn’t like it.

I’m glad you saw The Stepford Wives connection in Get Out. I thought it was a rip off. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw that movie.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:12 PM

I still haven't seen Call Me By Your Name, I thought I didn't really want to see it because I haven't got much faith in Guadagnino after seeing in my youth Melissa P. and having discovered about his remake of Suspiria last year, but maybe I'll give it a try since everyone keeps telling me it's beautiful.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I still haven't seen Call Me By Your Name, I thought I didn't really want to see it because I haven't got much faith in Guadagnino after seeing in my youth Melissa P. and having discovered about his remake of Suspiria last year, but maybe I'll give it a try since everyone keeps telling me it's beautiful.
That’s the special thing about Call Me By Your Name - it’s very artful. The music, the scenery and the whole tone just captures the perfect summer. The affair just sorta happens and then it’s over. But it makes you want to go to Italy.

I’m really happy that Luca is directing Suspiria. He is all about atmosphere. He is perfect for it. The vivid colors in the original is right up Lucas sleeve. Everything has to beautiful, sort of like Argento. And he makes sound and music as important as Argento. Trying to wrap my head around how Melanie Griffith’s daughter got in he movie though.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
That’s the special thing about Call Me By Your Name - it’s very artful. The music, the scenery and the whole tone just captures the perfect summer. The affair just sorta happens and then it’s over. But it makes you want to go to Italy.

I’m really happy that Luca is directing Suspiria. He is all about atmosphere. He is perfect for it. The vivid colors in the original is right up Lucas sleeve. Everything has to beautiful, sort of like Argento. And he makes sound and music as important as Argento. Trying to wrap my head around how Melanie Griffith’s daughter got in he movie though.
Then one day I'll give it a try, I'm always suspicious about movie's portrayals of Italy in the world because either they try too hard and end up being abstruse like "The Great Beauty", or they give a too simplistic and slightly cartoonish depiction like "Eat Pray Love".

About Suspiria, I just don't support the concept of "remake" itself, I usually think they're just an excuse to gain money without putting imaginative effort in a project. I believe that the only acceptable way to "remake" a movie would be to totally distance from the precedessor doing something totally new with the original idea, however in this case it wouldn't end up being a remake at all but a work "loosely based on -".
Exactly, Dakota Johnson????
Old 02-10-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I've seen it too but only last month obviously; however I loved it, in my opinion Gary Oldman's performance was Oscar worthy.
I'm a sucker for history dramas too, I was the only person I know that loved Lincoln when it came out four years ago.
Gary Oldman was sensational. He was Churchill down to his bones. So proud of him for that performance.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:33 AM

I haven’t seen a lot of movies at the cinema this year for a lot of different reasons (fewer occasions, lack of people who have my same tastes, scandalously high ticket prices) and I’ve switched to watching old movies and tv series on streaming sites.

The Darkest Hour – 8/10 Beautifully shot and acted, with epic dialogues and a great work from both Gary Oldman and the Makeup department that truly brought Churchill alive

Murder on the Orient Epress – 6/10 Enjoyable, fun movie, but I didn’t appreciate the effort to modernize such a vintage story to meet today’s studios stadards.

It – 8/10 As a King fan I was both excited and prejudiced towards this movie, but I ended up being surprised by how they've been able to blend fidelity to the deepest ideas of the original work and the need to follow the guidelines of the big studios.

Blade Runner 2049 – 7,5/10 I love the original movie that I saw as a teenager, and I’ve decided to not see it again before the sequel in case it could raise too much my expectations. However I ended up being wrong, it is aesthetically a beautiful movie, Ryan Gosling did a good job shouldering almost all the weight of the film on his shoulder alone, however I am not sure it deepened and expanded enough the themes of the original.

The Circle – 6/10 I like Emma Watson, but I didn’t like this movie like I thought. The idea was very interesting but atmosphere wasn’t enough dystopic and ended up dulling the movie.

Despicable Me 3 – 7/10 I didn’t have any expectation for this movie and I’m not very familiar with the franchise, so I ended up enjoying it for its simple but goodhearted humour, it was the right choice for an evening at the ancient open theatre in the next town.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 02-10-2018 at 04:27 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Gary Oldman was sensational. He was Churchill down to his bones. So proud of him for that performance.
Yes, I have a crush on him since when I saw him in Bram Stoker's Dracula.