The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No matter what she or critics think of the album, it contains one of her single best songs--the opener, Blue Denim. When I first heard it, I was genuinely excited and even shocked that she not only had the old fire in her belly but that she had somehow known what to do with it in ways she had not before. The song is one of her best.

The rest of the album is merely unexceptional, which is still better than the worst albums by many recording artists.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No, it's not that bad.

Honestly, while I don't care for Listen to the Rain, Unconditional Love, or Maybe Love, they're not awful songs. The rest of the album I quite like, with my favorites being Street Angel, Docklands, Greta, Rose Garden and Destiny.

Those Johns' penned b-sides are another story. Inspiration is -ok- but that God's Garden is awful, IMO.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 08-25-2015, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
  1. Blue Denim
  2. Thousand Days
  3. Mirror Mirror
  4. Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind
  5. Greta
  6. Listen to the Rain
  7. Unconditional Love (original version)
  8. Destiny
  9. Rose Garden
  10. Love Is Like a River
  11. Kick It
  12. Jane (original version)
I like your suggested version of Street Angel album. But no title track? As a radical move, I'd make Street Angel the opening introduction. It would be a startling , unexpected start, and a dramatic segue to Blue Denim. It's somewhat of a signature nod to her first two albums, which opened with their title tracks.

Just Like A Woman and Docklands can be b-sides/bonus tracks.

With a professional graphic designer/art director, the album's image/quality would been elevated. Unfortunately, in act of benevolent nepotism, Stevie handed that responsibility to her brother, who made it perfectly clear, based on the end result, he had no discernible skills in that realm.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-25-2015 at 09:30 PM..
Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm listening to this album off of YouTube right now.
Alternate cuts or unfinished masters I suppose, as it's
a lot different. Maybe better than what was officially
released. But still...
Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Is Street Angel really that bad?
I don't think it's any worse than any of her other albums.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Mixes from "Enchanted"

I think the stripped down remixes from the "Enchanted" box set are the best versions of the key tracks from "Street Angel"....the title track is hauntingly beautiful in it's spare, simple form.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I don't think it's any worse than any of her other albums.
You rascal.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Senior Ledgie

Talking

This album has grown on me a lot since I became a diehard fan 15 years ago. I personally love it. It is very straightforward and not as "mystical/magical" as her other albums. My favorites are "Greta", "Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind" (good choice for a single), and "Kick It". Stevie went back to basics with a rootsy sound since it was the '90's after all. Despite her personal struggles with addiction, Glyn Johns, her weight, her waning popularity and the poor record sales, I think it's pretty strong. I really don't see much that is "bad" about it. Like everyone else has pointed out, there are some not-so-great tracks, but that's sort of expected with any album. I also agree that the album art and the cover could have been better, and edgier considering some of the photo outtakes that were taken between 1992-1994. Especially the ones from the photo shoot with David LaChapelle... Those were great! Stevie standing on a hooka pipe while holding an umbrella! Awesome!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwndrs View Post
Those were great! Stevie standing on a hooka pipe while holding an umbrella! Awesome!
Holding an umbrella and floating upward.

Michele
Old 08-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfabbsy View Post
I think the stripped down remixes from the "Enchanted" box set are the best versions of the key tracks from "Street Angel"....the title track is hauntingly beautiful in it's spare, simple form.
I got to know Rose Garden from Enchanted. I went through a short anti-Stevie phase in the 90's when I was trying to be all punk, goth and alternative and snubbing my nose at anything played on mainstream radio. So Street Angle had a short shelf life in my world. But when Enchanted came out I made a great mix tape from it and when she did Rose Garden at her show in Pittsburgh (which was after my punk/goth/alt phase) I literally started to cry because it seemed like such a beautifully sad song. I honestly didn't realize I had totally different mixes on my Street Angel CD until just a few years ago when everyone here was talking about it. Anyway, when I finally did hear the Street Angel version I was disappointed. There is something so raw and emotional about that song and the single organ chord that rises up just as she sings "...all these things but a small gold band... on my finger... on my left hand" just drives the point home about how she gave it all up in search of something better that was never going to come. And all the flowery guitar work in the SA version distracts from it.

Laurie Anderson has a song from her Strange Angels album called the dream before that's just her singing to a very simple keyboard melody and I heard her say in an interview that she had recorded layers and layers of music and sound for that song but her producer stripped everything away and just left her voice and the keyboard. And it worked so well. Sometimes in music less is more. And I do really like Rose Garden in it's stripped down form much better.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post

Laurie Anderson has a song from her Strange Angels album...

And I do really like Rose Garden in it's stripped down form much better.
Strange Angels is the one Laurie Anderson album I own.

If I had to save one song from Street Angel it would be Rose Garden.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:21 PM
Ledgie

There's a million problems with the album.

1) Stevie was at a career low point at the time and thus has a "stigma" attached to it, mainly from Stevie herself.

2) The album design was rotten. Album covers are the first thing you see, and if you see a pasty, white mess with a bad font, it doesn't give a good first impression.

3) The only two good decent tracks on the album - Listen To The Rain & Love Is Like A River, are clouded behind uninspired production and lazy vocals.

4) The rest of the songs are not up to scratch. Blue Denim would have been called a lazy album track if it were on any other album, yet here it's called a highlight because it's somewhat singable.

5) The lyrics are poor on the album. It stands to reason that the only two good songs on it (IMO) are over 10 years old. I think the only song Stevie wrote by herself for the album in the years preceding it's release was the title track. The rest were co-writes, or were old tracks that wouldn't have had a look in elsewhere.

Although, honestly I do think Stevie (and thus the fans) bashing it has led to a lasting impact on the fans. "If Stevie says it's bad, then it's bad and we have to hate it." It is a bad and uninspired album, but maybe if I hadn't read about the stigma surrounding it, would I know any different? I don't know.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:38 PM

I knew the album before the stigma associated with it and didn't like it very much anyway. I didn't even particularly dislike it, it's just "meh". Actually it's pleasurable to listen (but Jane) but I don't find anything to really like about it so I just don't listen to it.

I think the problem is that it is the only album in which Stevie doesn't seem like Stevie, like one of those things a person does when she or he is really depressed. Some people starts tango lessons, Stevie did Street Angel.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Street Angel and Time were ALWAYS in the discount bins with the sawed corners back in 1997 The Dance era. They were commercial and critical flops that the record company and record stores could NOT get rid of quickly enough.

And yes, SA is pretty terrible. It has SOME moments, but mostly she just sounds like a bloated Konked out zombie that smoked too many cigarettes.

NOW... the cut songs, like Mirror Mirror, and Thousand Days. THOSE were actually good. I wonder what the difference was?
Old 08-29-2015, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
There's a million problems with the album.

1) Stevie was at a career low point at the time and thus has a "stigma" attached to it, mainly from Stevie herself.

2) The album design was rotten. Album covers are the first thing you see, and if you see a pasty, white mess with a bad font, it doesn't give a good first impression.

3) The only two good decent tracks on the album - Listen To The Rain & Love Is Like A River, are clouded behind uninspired production and lazy vocals.

4) The rest of the songs are not up to scratch. Blue Denim would have been called a lazy album track if it were on any other album, yet here it's called a highlight because it's somewhat singable.

5) The lyrics are poor on the album. It stands to reason that the only two good songs on it (IMO) are over 10 years old. I think the only song Stevie wrote by herself for the album in the years preceding it's release was the title track. The rest were co-writes, or were old tracks that wouldn't have had a look in elsewhere.

Although, honestly I do think Stevie (and thus the fans) bashing it has led to a lasting impact on the fans. "If Stevie says it's bad, then it's bad and we have to hate it." It is a bad and uninspired album, but maybe if I hadn't read about the stigma surrounding it, would I know any different? I don't know.

It is all a matter of opinion and personal taste.....my least favorite tracks on this disc is Love is Like a River and Listen to the Rain...so go figure!