The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:52 PM

The other night, when going to the bathroom after my father took a shower, I found this on the wet bath mat; it's hot for our pets too, especially when they're black (and old):

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 07-08-2015 at 02:40 PM..
Old 07-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

my 2 boys gizzy & tank - gizzy is the orange and white one and tank is the black and gray one.

gizmo - had his gallbladder taken out in march along with the re-routing of his blocked common bile duct and has also suffered from pancreatitis, cholangeohepatits and has IBD as well as a hiatal hernia right now from too much vomiting. he is on meds and expected to make a fully recovery for the hernia but will probably have to be on meds forever for the IBD. he is 11 and is just the best. i knew the moment i laid eyes on him at the animal rescue that he was meant to be my cat.
tank - recently had 4 teeth pulled an issue with his back claw and had a liver biopsy for his raised liver enzymes but the doc said he looks good and that maybe he still has an infection of some sort. i think its from the teeth.
he is such a sweet boy and so chill and just spends all his time purring. tank is also 11. when my hubby saw his face at the animal rescue he just had to have him. lol best part is that he just wants held like a baby 24/7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gizzy.jpg (89.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 10689956_10152808999642460_3604804872253299026_n.jpg (50.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:38 PM

Oh, I understand, my poor Izzie had inherited a genetic intestines illness, practically she had a chronic intestine prolapse.
How old were your kitties when you adopted them?
Old 07-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah its all so hard when you love them so much! Gizzy was 4 weeks and tank was 12 weeks.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:20 PM

Yeah, at least they had a long happy life.
Tank is very sweet in his little shirt! Perla also likes being cradled like a baby, I guess with age the go back to being pups!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think 11 is young for cats i expect them to live to be at least 18. All the people I know that have had cats they all made it to 18-20. My parents cat almost made it 21. He was such a good boy. My hubby and I love our cats more than anything so I pray everyday they will be ok.
Your baby is soo cute too! They are just so much fun! Lol if my bank account wasnt tapped out we would adopt so many more animals. Ha ha
Old 07-09-2015, 04:02 PM

Sure, if they're not purebreds they'll supposedly reach at least 14-16 years old, there are a lot of factors to count, for example indoor cats live longer or cats whose parents had long lives etc.
Well, "old" is a subjective concept, technically cats reach their old age around the 9th-10th year, so my cat should be a old but she's just crazy and licks my shoes.
Yeah, cats are the most fun creatures in the world, and very affectionate, I don't understand how people think that they're less sweet than dogs.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Three of mine are 16 this year (the one one is 12 or 13...we never remember we have to count back where we living when we got him).

The vet said of our Russian Blue "oh he might live to 20". We went "Oh no!" because he really is the stereotypical cat wanting to take over the world. For those who think I am being mean not wanting him to live to 20, my sister-in-law used to like cats and was going to get cats when she got her own place, but she decided against it after spending time with him! Yep he's that bad!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:30 AM

My perla was very bad too, she used to hate me and behaved like the cats you see on "My cat from hell" (for those who don't know the program check it out, it's hilarious: http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/my-cat-from-hell/) but after she turned 12 years old she became a sweetie. And I'm happy I don't have to go to class with my hands and forearms scratched.
I believe that the quality of our pets' life is far more important than the lenght.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
My perla was very bad too, she used to hate me and behaved like the cats you see on "My cat from hell" (for those who don't know the program check it out, it's hilarious: http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/my-cat-from-hell/) but after she turned 12 years old she became a sweetie. And I'm happy I don't have to go to class with my hands and forearms scratched.
I believe that the quality of our pets' life is far more important than the lenght.
Cola is very friendly towards people, he used to beat our old dog up when she was alive (and she was four times bigger than him) so much that she would purposely divert around him to avoid him. He used to bash one of our other cats so badly that she would shake with fear, he bit a chunk out of one of the other cats ears, etc. Then he used to steal food out of the frying pan, still to this day steals food from the kids, especially off of the baby's high chair, (and then has a full on fight with the dog for the spoils of victory), every meal made in the kitchen is a battle to avoid him stealing food while you are cooking. He tends to find himself locked out in his enclosure whenever food is being prepared or if my toddler is eating.

The list is endless...

He is also very sweet, a real charmer, the other cats love him, he domesticated a feral kitten all on his own when we had failed (incredible to watch, he was like a mummy cat) and he never fails to charm visitors when they come over, especially if the visitor is a pretty lady.

A cat of many contrasts...
Old 07-29-2015, 07:59 AM

Default I found this some time ago and it was too cute to let it go

26 Hacks That Will Make Any Cat Owner’s Life Easier
And you thought your cat was clever.

1. Remove a cabinet door panel and add a curtain with a tension rod to hide a litter box.

2. Make a tiny bed of grass for your cat to chill in. The grass is greener inside.

3. Create a stairway to heaven for your cat using Ikea Lack shelves.

4. Cut out squares in a bookshelf to create a kitty exercise tower. This is actually another Ikea hack, using the Billy shelf.

5. Easily make an under-table or under-chair cat hammock with cloth and Velcro straps. See how someone made their own here (http://www.desiretoinspire.net/blog/...furniture.html).

6. Make a cat tent out of a T-shirt and two hangers. Finally, a use for that old bat mitzvah T-shirt that’s 10 sizes too large. Get the directions here (http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-cat-tent/).

7. Got feral cats in the backyard? Keep ‘em warm this winter. Check out the tutorial here (http://www.isfoundation.com/news/cre...al-cats-winter).

8. Keep cats busy for hours with this DIY Tupperware cutout puzzle. The trick is to burn the cut edges with a lighter so that jagged edges don’t hurt your cat’s paws. Directions here (http://theglamcat.blogspot.it/2014/0...-tutorial.html).

9. Let your cats scratch themselves with this DIY self-petting station made with toilet bowl brushes. Directions here (http://www.lovepetsdiy.com/diy-self-...tion-for-cats/).
Old 07-29-2015, 08:03 AM

10. You can make your own Clevercat litter box for a fraction of the cost. Gives your cat some privacy and keeps dogs from getting in and messing with their business. Directions here (http://www.posedperfection.com/2014/...knock-off.html).

11. Glue a carpet sample to a wooden frame for a minimalist cat scratch post. It’s practically wall art.

12. A tissue box and toilet paper rolls can easily be turned into an inexpensive toy your cat will love.

13. If your cat has ruined your screen door or window, there’s a fix for that. Window screen tape! Get it here (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081S4H3O/?tag=buzz0f-20).

14. Tie sisal rope around an Expedit single shelving unit to create a scratch post and cat bed in one.

15. Give your cat a place to hang out besides your workspace by flipping over the top of a board game box. No more accidentally sending emails to your boss with the words “asdfkjhasall aslsakdfjf.”

16. Don’t de-claw your cats! If your cat is regularly drawing blood, cover his paws with Soft Paw vinyl coverings for their paws. As an added bonus, they are like Minx for cats. You can buy them here (https://www.softpaws.com/).

17. Save money by growing your own catnip. Cut out the middle man. You can grow it in your garden or as a potted plant. Get the directions here (http://home.howstuffworks.com/green-...row-catnip.htm).

18. Use this vacuum hack to get the cat litter that falls into weird crevices. You know how it always gets in the cracks of your floor? There’s a hack for that.

19. If your cat’s favorite activity is using more toilet paper than your entire family combined, tuck it in like so.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 AM

20. Run a rubber gloved hand over upholstery to remove pet hair.

21. If you need a cheap and easy yet stylish hideaway bed, sew together two Ikea Gosig toy baskets.

22. Trap fleas by lighting a candle. The fleas will hop into the melted wax. Just be sure not to leave the candle unattended. Click here for myriad other flea trap methods (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Flea-Trap).

23. If your cat eats too quickly and then throws up, place her food in a shallow plate. Just smooth out a singular layer of kibble to keep your cat from diving face first into her food.

24. Put double-sided tape on surfaces where you don’t want your cat to jump up on. Cats avoid stepping on sticky things.

25. A plastic pitcher makes an easy-pour cat food container.

26. Covered in cat hair? Of course you are. Throw your cat-hair-covered clothes into a dryer with a dryer sheet. Or just rub yourself down with a dryer sheet if a lint roller isn’t available.

You are now officially worthy of your cat’s love, affection, and respect!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/26-hac...ier#.rsd6oZL84
Old 08-08-2015, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

More likely I 'll getting my neighbors cat since he was put into a convalescent home.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-09-2015, 10:16 AM

Poor neighbor, I hope it's nothing serious...
How is the cat?