The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:46 PM

Default This is for Horror fans: Dario Argento Returns with The Sandman (& Iggy Pop)

I'm a huge thriller/horror fan, and my favourite director is Dario Argento.
At Christmas he's planning to return with a new thriller called "The Sandman" with Iggy Pop starring as the namesake killer.
It has been a long while since this master of horror has made a work worth of his name, I am very excited.
You can read all the informations here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/d...ng-iggy-pop--2
Old 12-03-2014, 08:06 AM

I saw that maestro Argento has managed to collect the 119% of the predetermined money, if anyone on The ledge contributed, thank you!
Old 12-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Love him! His movies are so atmospheric. Susperia and Demons rock!!!!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Love him! His movies are so atmospheric. Susperia and Demons rock!!!!
I love him too, Suspiria is my all time favourite horror movie.
On Demons he was just producer or writer, I don't remember well, and two of his daughters had minor roles; the director is his friend Lamberto Bava, son of the first great Italian horror director Mario Bava, you should check them out.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I love him too, Suspiria is my all time favourite horror movie.
On Demons he was just producer or writer, I don't remember well, and two of his daughters had minor roles; the director is his friend Lamberto Bava, son of the first great Italian horror director Mario Bava, you should check them out.
I'm a horror buff. I have followed him for a long time. In fact have some of his soundtracks. Demons has his feel all over it. Love the Bird with the Crystal Plummage. An Unexpected Violence is one of the best, moodiest soundtrack pieces ever. The same composer composed music for The Exorcist 2: The Heretic.

Last edited by Jondalar; 12-03-2014 at 08:03 PM..
Old 12-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm also a big fan of Argento. "Phenomena", to this day, still gives me the worst nightmares!!! I'm really hoping Sandman is a "return to form" for him!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I'm a horror buff. I have followed him for a long time. In fact have some of his soundtracks. Demons has his feel all over it. Love the Bird with the Crystal Plummage. An Unexpected Violence is one of the best, moodiest soundtrack pieces ever. The same composer composed music for The Exorcist 2: The Heretic.
Ennio Morricone is arguably the best italian composer, he is most known his work with Sergio Leone, that was the master of Dario Argento. He was perfect for the soundtrack of the Giallo "animal trilogy" of Argento, "The bird with the crystal plummage", "The Cat o' Nine Tails", "Four Flies on Grey Velvet", but the most perfect fit for Argento were the soundtracks composed by the italian progressive rock band Goblin for "Deep red", "Suspiria", "Tenebrae" and "Phenomena":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AMz...vM_-GLnih-DhmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV76...vM_-GLnih-DhmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3K2...vM_-GLnih-DhmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fpt...vM_-GLnih-DhmA

The images are from a series of beautiful limited edition posters. My closest friends gave me one on my 21st birtday.

Quote:
I'm also a big fan of Argento. "Phenomena", to this day, still gives me the worst nightmares!!! I'm really hoping Sandman is a "return to form" for him!
I hope too, because his last movie, "Dracula" 3D was a bit disappointing. I think his last GREAT movie was Opera. The stendhal sindrome was good too, but I don't like his daughter Asia Argento's acting skills too much.
Yeah, that deformed child is one of the most anguishing thing I've ever seen!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Yeah, that deformed child is one of the most anguishing thing I've ever seen!
Not just that, but the opening scene with the girl's head going through the glass window in slow motion, and the shards come crashing down on her face...

...and the one guy getting beheaded with the thin piece of sheet metal (or whatever it was)...

...and then, yes, the deformed child...

(shudder)
Old 12-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the Mother Trilogy. Suspiria was superb but I thought the last one, Mother of Tears sort of fizzled out. Inferno was solo weird.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the Mother Trilogy. Suspiria was superb but I thought the last one, Mother of Tears sort of fizzled out. Inferno was solo weird.
Yes, Mother of tears (in italian was The third mother) was VERY disappointing, but there still were little clues of his previous genius; I liked that all the murders had a meaning linked to the killed person:
- The woman that dared to summon the demons died with her mouth crashed (and then sliced open and strangled with her guts
- The lesbian medium died penetrated by a sword
I'm sure there were more that you remember, I've seen it long ago. The Sabba scene was very well built and the locations were beautiful.
The main faults were that it's too short and it didn't develope well all the themes involved and it didn't build suspence and pathos at all. Also the witches were ridiculous andthe acting skill of Asia Argento were only sufficient.
The choice of Moran Atias to impersonate the witch was truly poor, she was just a model with no acting talent famous for her sexy calendars and her soccer-players boyfriends. At the time she was trying to enter in the cinema industry but it didn't last long.
The italian actress that impersonated the mother of tears in the cameo in Inferno was the only right choice. This movie should have been done 25 years earlier.

Inferno was more splatter and gore for Argento, I think because it's his first production with American setting.
To me it still has a weird charm with those amazing colours and all those evil animals. I think the scene underwater is one of the best directed horror scenes of all time.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Jondalar
This message has been deleted by Jondalar.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sydney's Royal Commissions

Royal Commissions running in Australia right now-

The Royal Commission into Child Abuse in Institutions
- Sexual
- Psychological/Mental impairment
-Physical (hand-on-hand contact with force)

The Royal Commission into [Trade Union] Corruption

Greetings, from SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA.

Release of public complaint follows (sensitive --I will withhold it).
Old 12-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Royal Commissions running in Australia right now-

The Royal Commission into Child Abuse in Institutions
- Sexual
- Psychological/Mental impairment
-Physical (hand-on-hand contact with force)

The Royal Commission into [Trade Union] Corruption

Greetings, from SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA.

Release of public complaint follows (sensitive --I will withhold it).
I don't think it's sensitive to put a statement about child abuse on a horror thread...
Old 12-18-2014, 05:50 PM

Iggy Pop Is Indeed Playing A Serial Killer In Dario Argento's New Film

Italian horror master Dario Argento made his mark with gorgeously gory films like Suspiria, Inferno, Deep Red, and Tenebre. His creative heyday (late 1970s to the mid-1980s) may be over (though 2007's Mother of Tears had its moments) — but the 74-year-old's latest boasts a bit of stunt casting so intriguing, it just might make the film worth seeking out.

In an interview with Bloody Disgusting, sinewy punk god (and Star Trek cameo-maker) Iggy Pop holds forth on his role in Argento's forthcoming, successfully crowdfunded The Sandman, which is based not on the Neil Gaiman series, but rather the 1816 German short story by The Nutcracker and the Mouse King author E.T.A. Hoffman.

The updated plot, per the film's Indiegogo page:

Going back to the dark, original German legend: the REAL Sandman was someone who stole the eyes of any children that wouldn't just close them and go to sleep... he'd then go feed them to his hungry children on the moon. How's that for a bedtime story? To share this tale in a contemporary way that only Dario Argento can offer, we've carefully crafted a script like none other.
Iggy Pop Is Indeed Playing A Serial Killer In Dario Argento's New Film

Assaying the creepy eye thief will be, of course, Mr. Pop, who told Bloody Disgusting that he's a huge fan of Argento's Suspiria. Of the character, he says:

I think I'll try to bring out the side, the very real side of my personality that can do great harm to others without giving it a second thought, basically. That's how I would play him. In this particular script, if you want to look at it this way, in this Sandman's mind there's a justification because his own mother lost his sight and he has a sort of OCD. He's obsessively, compulsively, repeatedly restoring her sight by stealing the eyes of other people. But I just like the idea that he could do harm and it just rolls off his back and he can do it again and again and again. He enjoys it! He's an artistic Sandman who enjoys a little bit of craftsmanship. He makes dolls that represent the images of each victim and then he decorates the dolls with the eyes of his victims. It's a nice touch.

There's a bit where he has a human counterpart at the beginning of the movie, who's kind of a smarmy Eurotrash art gallery owner, which I'm looking forward to playing because I know a lot about Eurotrash [laughs].
Oh, and speaking of Suspiria and, uh, Eurotrash, another article about The Sandman (this time in Rolling Stone) drops the nugget that the film will contain music by "Claudio Simonetti's Goblin, one of two incarnations of the Goblin band that wrote music for Argento's Suspiria, Profondo Rosso and Phenomena," as well as George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead.

http://io9.com/iggy-pop-is-indeed-pl...arg-1669436002
Old 12-29-2014, 06:39 AM

'The Dario Argento Collection' & 'The Lucio Fulci Collection' Dated for Blu-ray

Two triple feature Blu-ray sets are planned for March.

In an early announcement to retailers, Blue Underground will be releasing 'The Dario Argento Collection' and 'The Lucio Fulci Collection' on Blu-ray on March 31.

Three classic Dario Argento thrillers on Blu-Ray for one low price!

THE CAT O NINE TAILS: When a simple robbery at a research institute leads to a series of brutal murders, a blind puzzle maker and a tenacious reporter begin their own investigation of the crimes. With nine different clues to follow, they uncover a shocking web of twisted genetics and dark sexual secrets that will finally lead them to a shattering climax of violence and suspense.
DEEP RED: An English jazz pianist living in Rome witnesses the brutal hatchet murder of a renowned psychic and is quickly drawn into the savage crime. With the help of a tenacious female reporter, the pair track a twisted trail of deranged clues and relentless violence towards a shocking climax that has ripped screams from the throats of audiences for more than 30 years!
INFERNO: A young woman stumbles upon a mysterious diary that reveals the secrets of The Three Mothers and unleashes a nightmare world of demonic evil. As the unstoppable horror spreads from Rome to New York City, this unholy trinity must be stopped before the world is submerged in the blood of the innocent.

Three classic Lucio Fulci gore fests on Blu-Ray for one low price!
CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD: The Seven Gates Of Hell have been torn open, and in three days the dead shall rise and walk the earth. As a reporter and a psychic race to close the portals of the damned, they encounter a seething nightmare of unspeakable evil. The city is alive with the horrors of the living dead!
THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY: A young family moves from their cramped New York City apartment to a spacious new home in New England. But this is no ordinary house in the country: the previous owner was the deranged Dr. Freudstein, whose monstrous human experiments have left a legacy of bloody mayhem. Now, someone - or something - is alive in the basement, and home sweet home is about to become a horrific hell on earth.
THE NEW YORK RIPPER: A blade-wielding psychopath is on the loose, turning The Big Apple bright red with the blood of beautiful young women. As NYPD detectives follow the trail of butchery from the decks of the Staten Island Ferry to the sex shows of Times Square, each brutal murder becomes a sadistic taunt. In the city that never sleeps, he's the killer that can't be stopped!

Specs and supplements haven't been revealed yet, but the suggested list price for each set is $39.98.

You can find the latest specs for 'The Dario Argento Collection' and 'The Lucio Fulci Collection' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where they are indexed under March 31.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...r-bluray/20158

On amazon is 37% off at 24.99$: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1631...ollection.html
Old 12-30-2014, 07:30 AM

Hannibal Season 3 to Explore Classic Horror Roots, Teaser of Mason Verger Shown!

“Hannibal” has been a massive hit ever since its first season, and the show’s premise was partly to thank for that. Other than the notorious “Dexter”, there aren’t that many popular TV shows that revolve around the topic of horror and psycho thriller – and yet “Hannibal” managed to earn a spot in viewers’ hearts almost immediately. Now, the show is getting ready for a third season – and reports indicate that the producers are preparing a real treat for their fans.

A teaser image was recently released, showing the new actor for Mason Verger. The character will be presented by someone new in the third season of the show, replacing Michael Pitt who held the role until recently. This was apparently a decision Pitt made himself, choosing to leave the production – and he’ll now be replaced by Joe Anderson for the third season. Reportedly, Anderson has been hired with a more permanent spot in mind, and he’ll remain on board for any future seasons as well.

However, reports indicate that the Pitt may not have left the production on amicable terms – according to some rumors, the actor was disliked by some of the producers, and they have been actively looking for a replacement. It’s interesting to note that this isn’t the first such incident in Pitt’s career, as the actor previously left “Boardwalk Empire” surrounded by similar rumors, although these were never officially confirmed.

Joe Anderson was quite excited about his new role, and immediately posted a set of pictures on his Instagram account, showing him in full prosthetic makeup for Verger. However, it appears that the posts weren’t officially sanctioned, as they were subsequently taken down almost straight away.

Meanwhile, producers of the show have been teasing about what fans can expect from its third season. They have reportedly been looking at old, classic horror movies quite a lot more compared to the first two seasons, and are looking to incorporate more classic psycho-thriller elements into season 3. In particular, they talked about Dario Argento and his productions, claiming that the new season will show some obvious signs of inspiration from Argento’s work.

Bryan Fuller also stated that the production is interested in bringing new stars on board, including Kristin Chenoweth, Anna Friel and more. None of them have commented about this possibility at this point, so it’s not known if the producers are already in any serious talks about this, or they’re just considering the idea as a possibility. However, the show could definitely benefit a lot from spicing up its cast a little more, especially if this trend continues after season 3 and onwards.