Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy Help for my brother

I don't do Facebook or Twitter & I don't like posting my personal problems, but I don’t know how to help my brother. I’m hoping someone can give me advice. He is over 1,000 miles away in MO. He was in a motorcycle wreck two months ago, just about dead. A woman (who apparently doesn’t have insurance) turned left right in front of him. He’s had so many broken bones, lung problems. He’s been bounced from the hospital to rehab to a nursing home which didn’t even have a specialized wheelchair that he needed & not getting the rehab that he needs. He can’t walk, has plates & screws in his pelvis, messed up arms. He has no family in MO. Now he’s back in the hospital with pneumonia because he caught a cold while in rehab before being moved to the nursing home. He has a lawyer & a social worker & neither seems to be helping him. I am afraid that this time, he’s not going to make it out of the hospital alive. When the accident first happened, one of my sisters flew out there & stayed for 10 days once he was out of danger, but she had to come back to DE. He has one friend who seems to be caring for him & a few co-workers who took in his cat. We don’t know his friends or anyone there. What can I do as his big sister do to help him? Who can I call in MO? Any advice? If you don't want to post, please pm me or e-mail me.

Lee
Old 01-06-2018, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Hi Lee
I really feel for your situation. There are groups that can help you. Is your brother a vet? If so, there are numerous vet organizations that can help. Even if the woman that hit him does not have insurance, his insurance should kick in and help. I have known people who have taken their own insurance company to court when they were hurt. His lawyer can assist with this. You or your sister can ask who his friends are and maybe they can help. Most important is to let him know you care and keep his spirits up. He will pull through this knowing there is a reason to live and his family cares for him. Talk to the doctors. The hospital can also put you in touch with assistance programs. It may pay off to make a trip out there to see him and get as much information as possible. Its great that his co-worker took his cat to take care of.
The bones will heal. It will take time. You need to contact his friend and welcome him into your family. Give him money or anything he needs to be there for your brother since you are so far away. Let him know how special he is and how important it is for him to keep you updated on his condition. Its a long road to recovery. Once he is able to talk, please call him everyday. Your brother needs love and encouragement to get better. Please keep us posted.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-06-2018 at 07:19 PM..
Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He is not a vet. His insurance through his work refuses to pay, saying he wasn't making progress fast enough for them, kicked him out of rehab & sent him to a nursing home not equipped for a person with special needs. He was talking; I talked to him once a week once he could talk. Now I'm sure he's on a vent again.

I don't fly, I have family here that can't be left, a senior dog that can't be left. We are in a heck of fix being so far away.

My sister is in touch with his female friend who we really don't know. She's just one person, not family & can only do some much. And she was trying to help in the nursing home as she has some medical background. This is a terrible set back for him. And if he pulls through, he will probably have to declare bankruptcy.

These insurance companies are just BS. Bottom line for them is $. They don't give a crap about people.

Lee
Old 01-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Lee
One day at a time. Its a really tough situation and I will give you tough love advice. You need to go see him. You can have a neighbor or friend watch your dog. Its so important not just for him but for you. You will ALWAYS know you were there for him. The toughest things in life are not easy. You can be with peace for yourself afterwards. There are other ways to travel without flying.
Not trying to upset you. Just offering you some tough love advice that I wish someone will give to me someday.