The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Junior Ledgie

I'm surprised to see so few mention Christine. I actually enjoy her writing contributions the most, followed by Lindsay and Stevie last. Among Christine's many excellent songs are - Spare Me a Little of Your Love, Why, Come a Little Bit Closer, Over My Head, Warm Ways, Don't Stop, Songbird, Over & Over, Everywhere, Little Lies, Skies the Limit...

To me she is a large part of the soul of Fleetwood Mac having been the longest standing member other than John and Mick. She contributed vocals and songwriting beginning with the album Kiln House in 1970. While not credited, her vocals are heard on "Station Man" the song I first heard that led me to become a lifelong Mac fan. Christine's writing is down to earth, grounded and sweet. Her voice has also been consistent in contrast to Stevie's. Her vocals provided an excellent counter-balance to both Lindsay and Stevie. I like all of their writng of course. Say You Will is a decent album, but I am finding myself missing Christine's contributions to the band.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine is great and I love a lot of her songs. The problem is it is very hard for me to connect with her on the same emotional level that I can connect with Stevie and Lindsey. To me, a lot of Christine's songs seem very contrived and lightweight. That's not to say that I wouldn't mind a few of her contributions on Say You Will though, but more for the sake of nostalgia I think.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For beautiful poetry-Stevie, hands down-most of the songs I really relate to are the ones to Stevie's lyrics

For beautiful music and arrangements-Lindsey

For beautiful music-Christine, esp the Tusk album

Stevie never sounds better than when Lindsey arranges and produces her songs, IMHO. He seems to know what to do with the music to enhance the lyrics.

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 04-28-2003, 08:19 AM

I have to take issue with the original poster's reference to Lindsey's "long epics." Would those be "Sara," "Beautiful Child," "Beauty and The Beast," "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You?" Oh, no, wait a minute, those are Stevie songs. Good songs, mind you, but more deserving of the "long epic" definition, don't you think? Lindsey has perhaps writen four or five songs out of his whole catalog that are longer than 4 minutes and 20 seconds. By far, most of them clock in at under four minutes.

That was just to set the record straight on that.

As for the best songwriter, that is almost a question with no real answer. What is best? Are you just looking at the lyrics? I submit to you that's not all a song is about. If you're judging the song based on lyrics alone you're missing a lot of it.

So, taking lyrics, arrangement, melody and chord progression into consideration, my vote has to go for Lindsey. If you look at Stevie's and Lindsey's earlier stuff with Fleetwood Mac, I would give her the upper hand in lyrics. But that has changed in recent times. While I can appreciate the catchiness of something like "Say You Will," I can also see the lyrics don't come even close to the brilliance of "Rhiannon" or "Sara." The verses have two chords and the melody is almost non-existent. The song really picks up energy on the chorus. Whereas if you look at "Red Rover," for instance, you get the whole package -- amazing lyrics, a great, haunting melody and guitar playing that just blows you away.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would say that Christine is the best writer in the band. I've just always connected with her songs the most. And, she also wrote the most hits. There are too many to mention here, but I can't think of a single one of her songs that I don't like. After Christine, I would say my favorites would be Bob Welch, Lindsey, Peter Green & Stevie in that order.

Last edited by macfan 57; 04-28-2003 at 12:30 PM..
Old 04-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
The verses have two chords and the melody is almost non-existent.
Ahh, but there's beauty in simplicity.

I definitely agree that Lindsey's songwriting (lyrically) has improved over the years. I find his songs much more affecting now.
But in my very humble opinion, Stevie's songwriting has also improved over the years. As much as I love songs like "Rhiannon," et al., I find the songs she's written in recent years to be far more engaging and emotionally compelling.

I think both Buckingham & Nicks are at the top of their game now... which is what makes me even more excited about the prospect of future collaborations between the two.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Ahh, but there's beauty in simplicity.
So true, but not always.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
So true, but not always.
Now, now... we can't have it both ways.

*smiles*
Old 04-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

*smiles*
"I am what I am, I am what am, I am what am . . . a Family Man (Family Man) . . ."

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-29-2003, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey is not bad either. He has made some good songs...but unlike Stevie, Im listening to his voice and guitar playing more than the words. With Stevie, I end up being drawn to her lyrics eventually.

MAybe shes a smidgeon better, but she concentrates on that while Lindsey dabbles in EVERYTHING.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:01 AM

Quote:

*smiles*
Of course we can. You don't believe in absolutes, do you Johnny?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You don't believe in absolutes, do you Johnny?
Of course I don't.

But I also don't believe in double-standards, and I see a lot of them around here.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Of course I don't.

But I also don't believe in double-standards, and I see a lot of them around here.
Hmmm... Are you accusing me of double standards with your "around here" comment? Come right out and say it.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yes, I definitely feel that there are double-standards in many of the comments you make in regards to Lindsey and Stevie.
What's good for the goose is apparently not good for the gander, and it often leaves me scratching my head trying to figure out why that should be so.

But I said "around here," because you're not the only one who does it, and I wasn't trying to single you out.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And, here I thought he was talking about ME!